IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Calling ALL BLK ISx50 Owners w/ Tint, BUT NO FRONT Tints: I NEED YOUR HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 09:03 AM
johnAboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Calling ALL BLK ISx50 Owners w/ Tint, BUT NO FRONT Tints: I NEED YOUR HELP!

Hi guys...

So I got a tint ticket while my car was parked (stupid; i know), and I wanted to know what a black tinted ISx50 looks like without front (passenger/driver) tints - seeing as how I might have to take mine off.

It seems like a bs ticket to me, because i got another ticket with it about parking in an illegal zone (which it WASN'T!). I mean who gets a tint ticket while their car is parked on the street?? Think the cop was just on a ticket-writing mission that day...or bored.

Anyway, if people with black or grey (any of the dark colors) ISx50's can please post pictures of their cars without front tints, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much & i'll let you guys know if the tickets get dismissed!
Old 04-09-08, 09:10 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sent you a pm with some ideas. I am local to you but have tints on all windows. hope its of help!
Old 04-09-08, 10:37 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

What % was your tint?
Old 04-09-08, 01:19 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

You can get the front windows tinted legally. I don't have any tint on my fronts yet, but my backs/rear are 18%. You can kind of see it in my sig pic. I'll have to wait till I get home to send you some more pics.
Old 04-09-08, 02:23 PM
johnAboy
Driver

Originally Posted by myculito
What % was your tint?
20% all around
Old 04-09-08, 02:29 PM
johnAboy
Driver

Originally Posted by Little E
You can get the front windows tinted legally. I don't have any tint on my fronts yet, but my backs/rear are 18%. You can kind of see it in my sig pic. I'll have to wait till I get home to send you some more pics.
I know in Chicago you can't get any type of tint on the driver/passenger doors (unless you some medical condition or something of the sort).

I can somewhat see it in your sig, but it's a bit small. That'd be awesome if you could send me some pics when you get the chance. Thanks a lot E...really appreciate it!
Old 04-09-08, 02:41 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have known two buddies who received tint tickets on their windshiled for parking overnight on a public street in Chicago. One had 35% on front and the other 7%. Cops get bored at night and find a good reason to maintian te "Performance Standard."
Old 04-09-08, 03:16 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by johnAboy
So I got a tint ticket while my car was parked
Thats F'd up. Every state is different, but in Florida, that ticket wouldn't stand up in court since the actual tint was not field verified. I say dispute the ticket (however, unsderstand your local laws first). All it takes is a few hours of your time.

Down south, when you get pulled over for tint, they will connect a light meter to your window and test the tint. Its like a radar gun meaning you can't dispute it. Without that evidence its a subjective ticket and you can overturn it.

1st rule (in FL at least) if your getting pulled over - roll down all your windows. It is illegal for them to ask you to roll them up to test them. I won in court twice because of some good legal advice from an attorney - aparently asking you to roll up your window after the traffic stop is a form of entrapment. Good stuff to know.

I've had three tint tickets - took all three to court and won. Good luck.
Old 04-09-08, 05:07 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

I have black/black with 35% tint all around (the lightest I could find), and I've never been stopped, although Chicago sounds pretty strict about it.

BUT, what I would recommend is keeping the appearance of untinted windows. If you keep the moonroof panel open so light can shine through, your interior will appear much lighter and much less obvious.

Alternatively, I would recommend changing to the lightest tint all the way around... Luckily, it's just a fix-it ticket and not a point on your record, right?

Last edited by Fleainat; 04-09-08 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-09-08, 05:15 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Originally Posted by Keith13b
Thats F'd up. Every state is different, but in Florida, that ticket wouldn't stand up in court since the actual tint was not field verified. I say dispute the ticket (however, unsderstand your local laws first). All it takes is a few hours of your time.

Down south, when you get pulled over for tint, they will connect a light meter to your window and test the tint. Its like a radar gun meaning you can't dispute it. Without that evidence its a subjective ticket and you can overturn it.

1st rule (in FL at least) if your getting pulled over - roll down all your windows. It is illegal for them to ask you to roll them up to test them. I won in court twice because of some good legal advice from an attorney - aparently asking you to roll up your window after the traffic stop is a form of entrapment. Good stuff to know.

I've had three tint tickets - took all three to court and won. Good luck.
I thought Florida had no rules regarding tint....seriously.

I'm on I-95 quite a bit, and I've seen many Floridians with dark tint. Heck, I've even seen 75 year olds rollin with like 5% limo tint.

To the OP: was your car parked on the street or in a parking lot. If in a lot, I think you argue that they didn't have the authority to ticket you, because it was "off-road", especially if it was a PRIVATE parking lot (ie- a wal-mart or other shopping center). Obviously, you can't lie if asked about how you got your car there, but the officer didn't catch you while driving, he caught you while parked.

To me, it's no different than having neon lights on while in a parking lot, in that, technically, it's off-road (at least, IMO it is). Any lawyers out there on CL????
Old 04-09-08, 05:46 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

you should get 35% in the front... even cops in california... usually don't mind it...
Old 04-09-08, 05:50 PM
stvn
Pole Position

i have 40% all around and sometimes the windows dont even look tinted. maybe you should try going a little lighter all around, maybe like 30%. i think it will make the fronts look a lot lighter.
Old 04-09-08, 08:51 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by johnAboy
I know in Chicago you can't get any type of tint on the driver/passenger doors (unless you some medical condition or something of the sort).

I can somewhat see it in your sig, but it's a bit small. That'd be awesome if you could send me some pics when you get the chance. Thanks a lot E...really appreciate it!
Here you go JohnAboy. This is my car with 18% back/rear and no front tint for now, but I am planning on getting 40% on the fronts come summer time to block out the rays.
Attached Thumbnails Calling ALL BLK ISx50 Owners w/ Tint, BUT NO FRONT Tints: I NEED YOUR HELP!-side-view.jpg  
Old 04-09-08, 08:56 PM
myculito
Lead Lap

I think 35% is pretty much safe in any state for the front windows. It's up to you, but I'm not a big fan of having different shades of tint all over the car.
Old 04-09-08, 10:24 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

if you want to see how it would look be in person why don't you just rolled down your own window...

Quick Reply: Calling ALL BLK ISx50 Owners w/ Tint, BUT NO FRONT Tints: I NEED YOUR HELP!