IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wheel locks = antitheft?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 07:58 AM
5h4n3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel locks = antitheft?

Just wanted to know how much safer it is to have wheel lock nuts (Rays, Mcgard, etc) bolted onto your precious mooncakes? From what I've read, it seems that if somebody really really wants dem mooncakes, there's a way to get dem off without the key. Just takes more time. Rays or Mcgard or bull lock? I wanna protect my cakes!
Old 04-08-08, 08:02 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always had bad luck with factory wheel locks along with many of my buddies. I have also always removed them with they were on the vehicle. Most of the time, the wheel lock itself or the key strips. This occurrs even if you are being careful and not using an impact gun. Just be careful where you park.
Old 04-08-08, 08:09 AM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

they arent so much as anti-theft, as theft is prolonged. with the the wheel lock on, someone needs to know what key to use to take them off, without the right key, it wont come off. there are plenty of different kind of lugs so the burglar needs to do some homework on the car he wants to steal from.

carrying around a set of tools and a tourqe wrench might look suspecting
Old 04-08-08, 08:57 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

I've got a set of mcgard splinedrives on the way.....I'll let you know what I think when I get them.

But yes, it is an obstacle to theft, nothing more.
Old 04-08-08, 09:33 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

if you want maxmium protection....buy 2+ sets wheel locks...

but it's gonna be a ***** if you have a flat........

edit: and yes, if they still want your "cakes", they will still get it nomatter how many sets of wheel locks you got........
Old 04-08-08, 10:09 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

It's not a matter of the theif doing his homework, it's whether or not he knows what he's doing....
If he wants your wheels bad enough, even if you had 5 sets of wheel locks on the car he could get them off.
Back in my teen years I worked at a wheel and tire shop, people came in all the time with wheel locks that lost the key. It's really simple to get them off and it takes only slightly longer than it would taking the regular lugs off.
It's so easy it's riduculous.
So for me, wheel locks are a waste of money, I just don't park any where that gives a thief the opportunity to swipe my wheels.
Old 04-08-08, 10:14 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's only a deterrent. Preventative, but thieves who know what they're doing will be able to take them off within a minute...
Old 04-08-08, 10:17 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i use mcguards, imo the best BUT yea if the thief wants your mooncakes they'll get them.
Old 04-08-08, 10:44 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's only a deterrent. Preventative, but thieves who know what they're doing will be able to take them off within a minute...
These thieves must be NASCAR mechanics... I HAVE the key to my wheels, and it takes me more than a minute to take them off!

Javier
Old 04-08-08, 11:05 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by javyLSU
These thieves must be NASCAR mechanics... I HAVE the key to my wheels, and it takes me more than a minute to take them off!

Javier
I think they are even better then Nascar pit crews! May be they should recruit them for that

I agree with kickin8 get 2 sets if you it really matters.

Now I am hungry with all the talk of mooncakes!
Old 04-08-08, 11:52 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Javier
I lost my OEM wheel key when I wanted to change to aftermarket wheels.

My mechanic took them off in about 30 seconds. (25 seconds to find the tools, 5 seconds to take them off...)
Old 04-08-08, 11:56 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

^I'm assuming this after he had it up on the lift...

Javier
Old 04-08-08, 12:05 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

lock do nothing. i have a full set of all lexus locks and a few aftermarket ones too. they are a deterent and nothing more. snap on sell a reverse socket that will grab on to the outside of the lug and spin it off. doesnt work on all wheels but pretty effective. if i really wanted some wheels i could get them. but its just wrong and karma's a biatch

there is only a limited number of factory variations of the wheel lock and its not hard to get all of them, especially the facotry set. same thing as the mk3 supra ignition keys. they had only a few variations of the key. i got 5 of them . if i really wanted a supra i could most likely just get in and drive away with no breaking in of any kind.

my buddy had 2 mk3's at once and we tried it. with the keys we had we were able to open both
Old 04-08-08, 12:05 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^I'm assuming this after he had it up on the lift...

Javier
It depends on the exact type of wheel locks. With the typical McGard ones that come on Lexus and Honda, I can take them off myself without and impact gun without much added effort. When I lost the key to my set, I simply tapped on a 16 point 19mm socket, then used a breaker bar to loosen it. It takes a few tries at times, but once it brakes the lock you simply hand screw it off. Now, what I have noticed is this works easily if your lug nuts are torqued down properly. If you have over torqued lug nuts I wasn't able to remove them by hand, but an impact gun would have no problem.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 04-08-08 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-08-08, 12:32 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Giggity
It's not a matter of the theif doing his homework, it's whether or not he knows what he's doing....
If he wants your wheels bad enough, even if you had 5 sets of wheel locks on the car he could get them off.
Back in my teen years I worked at a wheel and tire shop, people came in all the time with wheel locks that lost the key. It's really simple to get them off and it takes only slightly longer than it would taking the regular lugs off.
It's so easy it's riduculous.
So for me, wheel locks are a waste of money, I just don't park any where that gives a thief the opportunity to swipe my wheels.
right well he needs to do his homework on wheel locks to know what hes doing. thats what i was getting to.

Quick Reply: Wheel locks = antitheft?