IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Service Damage

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-08, 11:30 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Damage

Well I finally got my IS350 shipped up from NC, and subsequently had to take it into service for an inspection; and in doing so, the service tech looks like upon removal of the old inspection sticker, that he ran the razor blade across the A-pillar:

As I pointed this out to the service manager, he seems to think that this is repairable - to which I find BS as can this really be repaired w/out it being noticeable..? Also, if I decide to peruse an A-pillar replacement, can the A-pillar be removed w/out disassembling anything else...? It's an unfortunate accident as they have been stellar to this point, but I never have to go in for anything other than maintenance [which is a good thing ] - but I'm still pissed about it.

Thoughts..?
Old 04-07-08, 11:35 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

tell them to replace the part as this is a NEW car.....
Old 04-07-08, 11:36 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

I would be pissed too. They should knock more off the price of the car because if it. I know there are fabric repair knits available if you don't want the dealer ripping through your pillar.
Old 04-07-08, 11:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They should put a new one on for you. At my 5000 mi service, I had the dealer perform the TSIB for the squeaky front seat. In removing the seat, they scraped the metalic portion of the inside door handle. They called me right away and told me, ordered the part, and repalced the entire panel. they never even suggested 'repair'.
Old 04-07-08, 11:43 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Little E
I would be pissed too. They should knock more off the price of the car because if it. I know there are fabric repair knits available if you don't want the dealer ripping through your pillar.
I was not purchasing it, just shipping it from my NC location to NY as I have 2 residences - should have been more clear . I have heard about these "Fabric and Leather repair kits"; but again are they really going to match...?

Originally Posted by kickin8
tell them to replace the part as this is a NEW car.....
I agree as well but my concern is that what else has to be removed besides the A-pillar to replace...?
Old 04-07-08, 01:38 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
They should put a new one on for you. At my 5000 mi service, I had the dealer perform the TSIB for the squeaky front seat. In removing the seat, they scraped the metalic portion of the inside door handle. They called me right away and told me, ordered the part, and repalced the entire panel. they never even suggested 'repair'.
I had that TSIB don as well. I thought I was the only one, the dealer scratched the whole backside of my F***in seat. I decided not to raise hell because I was able to fix it a little myself and want to remain in good with the servie manager. My passenger seat also has a scrape by someones belt or etc. Unacceptable. To the OP, talk to the service manager and have them replace the A-Piller assembly. maybe they will have a talk with their techs and remind them to be careful. It could have been a porter as well. The vast majority look like they could care less as they mope around the dealer with a razer waiting to remove inspection stickers. Only thing on their mind in high school is "Who Wants Cake" and their GF's.
Old 04-07-08, 02:25 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah it happened to my parents ES300, the A pillar then was made using plastic ish material and when the car heats up during the winter, the material expended and the opening got bigger :x
Old 04-07-08, 07:39 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

They should replace it, but incase they don't, I know a good place that CAN fix it. I've see the work of this place, they do a very good job on interior fix.
Old 04-07-08, 07:44 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those just clip out..there aren't any bolts that hold them in.
Old 04-07-08, 10:22 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that piece is less then $50.00. They should replace it.

Old 04-08-08, 05:03 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
Those just clip out..there aren't any bolts that hold them in.
I can confirm. The one on my driver's side is a bit loose, I've knocked it partway off just by rubbing against it with my coat getting into the car.
Old 04-08-08, 05:53 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the A pillar can be removed easily, i took mine off to run the wire for the V1 display unit. Have them swap it out for you. should be no issues for them.
Old 04-08-08, 06:34 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

We'll I got a call back from the Service Manager and he's going to order a new A-pillar trim piece; and he also said that the A-pillar can be removed w/out disassembling anything else.

Lets hope that the trim is the proper shade of color, and the fits in exactly like the original - which is perfectly aligned, firmly in place and matches perfectly w/the rest of the trim pieces.

...man I wish I was not so picky
Old 04-08-08, 06:38 AM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

I too had my car damaged while getting my inspection done. It was for my IS-F! They scratched up accidently the outside pillar. I saw the service guy writing info on my windshield. His shirt button scratched my black paint. I did not feel very good about my new $62,000 car getting damaged. The dealer offered to have the outside pillar repainted but the body shop suggested I leave it as after a buff because the factory paint is the strongest. If they respray it maybe easy to chip. Despite the buff, it is still scratched. So upset. Wish the could replace a panel like yours.
Old 04-08-08, 06:43 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MLevinson
We'll I got a call back from the Service Manager and he's going to order a new A-pillar trim piece; and he also said that the A-pillar can be removed w/out disassembling anything else.

Lets hope that the trim is the proper shade of color, and the fits in exactly like the original - which is perfectly aligned, firmly in place and matches perfectly w/the rest of the trim pieces.

...man I wish I was not so picky
Your car... they damaged... why risk it opening more in the future....