IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Issue with stock wheels...

Old 04-04-08, 01:48 PM
kf678
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Issue with stock wheels...

I've had my 07IS250 for about a year now (purchased new last May), over the past couple of weeks I have noticed that my front wheels are changing color...from silver to a gold or rust color. I haven't done any mods to my IS250, so I still have the stock wheels on there, but it is only effecting the front ones. I didn't have the brake pad TSIB done, because the break dust really doesn't bother me, and in the spring, summer, and fall I get my car washed every 2 weeks. During the winter months (I live in the Chicago area where it is either snowing or melting every other day), I wash my car probably a total of 2 or 3 times (unless I am going somewhere where I want people to notice my car, of course), so when I had it washed at the dealer the other day after my 15,000 mile service, I was surprised to see the gold color still, thinking it would just wash off with all of the dust. When I got home I took a dry towel and a wet towel and tried scrubbing at it, but nothing happened...

Does anyone have an idea of why this may have happened? Could the brake dust have caused this? Is it possible for the wheels to rust? Any suggestions on cleaning it off?

I just had my tires rotated at the 15,000 mile service so now my "gold" wheels are on the rear tires and my normal ones are now up front...I don't want them to change color too, especially if there is something I can do to stop it...the gold just doesn't look right in my opinion...

I apologize if this is a simple question, but I don't consider myself any sort of vehicle expert, so any help would be greatly appreciated...

Here are some pics...
kind of difficult to see from this angle on the rear wheel...

Driver Side Rear wheel close up...

Driver Side Front Wheel close up...
Old 04-04-08, 02:01 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue you are dealing with is a combination of road salt, brake pad dust burning into the rims whick is discoloring the wheels clear coat. I had the same car and wheels and this was occuing in the grooves. Took me some time to clean out. I then got rid of the rims and had the TSIB done. No more issues. This happens when you let the rims go for over a week without washing. The heat from the brakes burns these chemical and debris on.
Old 04-04-08, 02:03 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

first get a bottle of ALL wheel cleaner. Then put some elbow grease into it and get a nice brush to clean them. If that doesnt work then lightly use a brillo pad and it will come off. Its the brake dust, salt, ect from this bad winter in IL. My oem rims came clean from just the safe for all rims wheel cleaner. give that a try!
Old 04-04-08, 02:13 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
first get a bottle of ALL wheel cleaner. Then put some elbow grease into it and get a nice brush to clean them. If that doesnt work then lightly use a brillo pad and it will come off. Its the brake dust, salt, ect from this bad winter in IL. My oem rims came clean from just the safe for all rims wheel cleaner. give that a try!
This is true, don't fear the brillo pad. It comes in handy in these situation. Also, after you remove the tarnish, make sure to wax the wheels. it will help them resist corrosion a little and also make future cleanings less effort intensive. Passnu2 and I have had success with this method.
Old 04-04-08, 03:47 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The brake dust and not getting it off caused your problem. Get rid of those ridiculous dust brake pads (especially when its dust is not removed). I would use a brillo as a last resort. It will damage the clear coat. Once the paint is exposed, it is the beginning of the end for the appearance of the wheel. I would try every safe cleaning product for clear coat before using a brillo. There must be a product out there that can safely remove the staining. I would try glazing compound then polishing/rubbing before a brillo. Come to think of it, I don't think I would ever use a brillo. You may as well get them powder coated (which stands up to brake dust exceptionally).

Koz
Old 04-04-08, 03:51 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I would strongly urge against using a brillo pad - you will damage the clear coat. Spray on any good wheel cleaner (turtle Wax do one), wait a minute or so, agitate with a soft brush and then use a power washer to clean off the residue and you should find your wheels return to normal.
Old 04-04-08, 04:05 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't use Brillo!

Try Orange Blast by Greased Lightning.

Then pput a couple of coats of a polymer sealer like Zaino,Rejex,Liquid Glass etc..
Old 04-04-08, 04:24 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Lexus makes a wheel cleaner. I use it every other day to clean my brake dust build up.
Old 04-04-08, 04:49 PM
almacruel
Pole Position

That would drive me crazy... On my dad's Navigator last year the chrome was peeling off in some spots due to brake dust... After a few complaints to Lincoln the changed the two front wheels for free...
Old 04-04-08, 05:02 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Is using a sponge okay for cleaning the OEM 08 Rims? I hope it wont damage my rims, because i got tired of using a brush since it was hard to maneuver in the small cracks and grooves.
Old 04-04-08, 06:17 PM
kf678
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of your suggestions...looks like I will be outside tomorrow (good thing it will be 60 out!!) scrubbing and cleaning them to see what happens. Next week when I go back to the dealer to have them fix something they should have the other day, I will see if they will do the TSIB for the brake pads so it doesn't happen again...I figured it had something to do with the brake dust, salt, and my laziness of not washing the car as much as I should be...

Thanks again for all of your help!

Kevin
Old 04-05-08, 10:59 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

You have this problem because a car wash will not scrub a rim like it needs to be scrubbed. The brakedust, spots and stains have not been removed properly. You have to get down there and do some work yourself, or it will happen again. Working on cleaning your car is a fun thing with good rewards and high resale. Keep your head up.