IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tires For Life

Old 04-03-08, 09:26 PM
spartanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have goodyear on mine right now. But I'm told that I could change to a Michelin or Bridgestone if I wanted to. The other thing they're saying is that I have to do the servicing at a Lexus dealership anyway in order not to void the warranty on my lexus pre-certified warranty.
Old 04-03-08, 10:27 PM
osyrhiz
Rookie

don't do it.

its not worth taking your car to the same dealer over and over.

Say for instance you relocate to another city during the lifetime of your car, you would have to take it back to the same dealership.

Also the amount that you would be paying for the required maintenance would be substantial.
Old 04-04-08, 06:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

All the tires for life contracts I've seen require -all- service be done at the dealership. Which will cost you a -lot- more than even 2 sets of new tires over the life of the contract... and even more if you move and realize you're totally screwed.
Old 04-04-08, 06:46 AM
suorum
Pole Position

I would not go for it. Dealing with dealerships = MANY HEADACHES!!!! You always have to fight for whatever it was not told to yuo from the beginning but they were supposed and it is not LEXUS fault but the salesman..blah blah blah. Besides in the future if you decide to go for a different set-up/size whatever I can put my hands on fire that you will not be covered...my .02 cents....got inspired...hehe
Old 04-04-08, 07:42 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by suorum
Besides in the future if you decide to go for a different set-up/size whatever I can put my hands on fire that you will not be covered...my .02 cents....got inspired...hehe
Ah yeah, what he said. If you did decide to go with 19" or 20" rims in the future, your "free" tire contract would probably NOT include different sized tires unless you had a really cool dealership that didn't hold you to the letter, or intent of the contract. Like that would ever happen.
Old 04-04-08, 07:46 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by is4fsr
Read the fine print. All scheduled maintenance done at that dealership only to get that deal. If you happen to go to a different dealership for scheduled maintenance, you void the contract. To top it off dealership scheduled maintenance is very expensive.
This is exactly what my dealer tried to get me to do. I said, NO THANKS, Discount Tire all the way. I read the fine print and realized the joke. They are in the game to make money by trying to over charge and dealers love to increase add-ons. I kindly told the finance guy, not interested in any nonsense add-on. He basically knew I was knowledgeable and told me he is required to promote these services and he agreed that they were unnecessary when I was joking with him off the record. There are way too many stipulations and conditions while purchasing programs like Tires for Life. I will admit I was intrigued initially until I read the terms.
Old 04-04-08, 08:24 AM
spartanz
Driver School Candidate

Ahhh I see ... thanks a lot for the inputs guys! Really appreciate it!
Old 04-04-08, 08:30 AM
tshek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spartanz
Well, I have goodyear on mine right now. But I'm told that I could change to a Michelin or Bridgestone if I wanted to. The other thing they're saying is that I have to do the servicing at a Lexus dealership anyway in order not to void the warranty on my lexus pre-certified warranty.
the pre-certified warranty will not be void even you have your car service some where else, at least that's what happen to my RX300.
Old 04-04-08, 08:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tshek
the pre-certified warranty will not be void even you have your car service some where else, at least that's what happen to my RX300.
It would in fact be illegal for a car dealer to require you service the car there to honor the vehicle warranty.

(the tires for life thing they can pull that with since it's not covered by the same federal warranty and consumer protection laws)
Old 04-04-08, 09:10 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

i took it. although mine was the same price for 5 years.

i've already made my money back as i had a bent wheel and slashed tire! no questions asked, they replaced it. OEM wheel listed as $600+ on the invoice!

mind you this was less than 10K miles and one 'free' dealer service! so now i can take my car where i want or when i want.
Old 04-04-08, 09:58 AM
spartanz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tshek
Does that mean I can do my servicing at a non-Lexus dealership? The concern is obviously whether my pre-certified warranty would be voided if my car was serviced somewhere else. That's how they're tying it all together ...

Man ... all these dealers are trying to squeeze every last dollar out of you, and its confusing for the consumers!
Old 04-04-08, 10:02 AM
ISmy350JDM
Pole Position

sounds like a good deal but definitely buyer beware...make sure you know what kinda tires are gonna be the replacements...whether new or used...and what brands and type are allowed.
Old 04-04-08, 10:31 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spartanz
Does that mean I can do my servicing at a non-Lexus dealership? The concern is obviously whether my pre-certified warranty would be voided if my car was serviced somewhere else. That's how they're tying it all together ...

Man ... all these dealers are trying to squeeze every last dollar out of you, and its confusing for the consumers!

You don't need to take it to -any- dealership. You just have to be able to prove the vehicle received any required regular maintenance. This can be as simple as keeping the receipts if you do your own oil changes in your driveway for example.

The federal law in question is the Magnuson-Moss Act, which explicitly forbids tie-in sales provisions like requiring you to use the manufacturers parts instead of aftermarket ones, or requiring service from the company instead of anyone else competent to do it.
Old 04-04-08, 10:48 AM
Tajman82
Rookie

Its not that big of a deal. If it's a tire replacement warranty plan and if you no longer go to that same dealer, you can get a refund on your plan for the remaining months left on the warranty. Usually the tire replacement plans are in 5 year terms. If yours doesn't sound like that then it's something exclusively with that dealer and then I can understand the confusion. I just sold my Rangerover went back and got 500 bucks back out of the 700 I initially spent on the plan and in that time I had replaced 2 22inch tires. Now you want to make sure the plan you have covers both RIMS+TIRES. I dented a rim and they replaced it for me. Good luck
Old 04-04-08, 01:01 PM
spartanz
Driver School Candidate

I just asked them what Michelin tire I would get if I were to pick the program. Seems like it is Michelin Energy? Seems tirerack has the rears but I've not been able to find the fronts. So which leads me to think that I'll land up getting cheap tires. And I'll have to change at least twice to make the program worth while.

And I doubt they'll let me cancel the plan and get back a refund.

So now I've gotta think will I change tires at least twice before I land up going somewhere else for servicing or changing cars ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires For Life