IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Um... My Paddle Shifter Is Not Working...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 11:53 AM
kargahi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Um... My Paddle Shifter Is Not Working...

well to be honest, i either dont know how to use the paddle shifter, or it is just broken... it doesnt downshift when u press it.. and it doesnt upshift when u press it either... it kinda changes for itself... and the my car shows 2 different gears at the same time... so the one above the S light... shows for example 5, but the one in the display monitor shows 4.. ... except that... one other thing i dont get is that when my car is in the S... but its not moviing... when i up shift or downshift the ****... in the display picture it adds dots infornt of my present Gear (which is 1) ... can somebody try to explain it to me... becuse i looked in the manual... and there wasnt no straight up answer... and one other thing is that... i have to race my friend's RX8... and i kinda need to figure out how the paddle shifter works before i do that... other wise it would be kinda embarressing... btw, what is the best way to drag race?? should i just turn everything off, put the car in ECT PWR... and put the car in S???
Old 04-02-08, 12:05 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok one thing, explaining how the paddle works i'll leave to someone else who is more eloquent than me. if your going to race someone in a straight line leave it in auto. you cant shift faster than the auto does. if you notice from bracket racing to NHRA top fuel cars their all automatics (in a sense).
Old 04-02-08, 12:13 PM
chums
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly what llamaboiz said. leave it in auto, ect pwr doesnt actually add power to your vehicle, its meant for situations such as when youre going up a hill and wanna keep the power instead of downshifting and losing it (in a sense)

as for paddle shifters, they arent fully manual. think of it this way, when you upshift, it limits your vehicle so it cant go past that gear, but the car will still shift normally up until it hits that gear, where itll stop until you upshift again.

when downshifting, itll have the same idea. it will lower the gear if youre in a higher one, but lets say youre in 2nd gear and you downshift from 5th to 4th. itll still stay in 2nd gear, because that "S" gear is acting as a limit for your vehicles gears. the vehicle will also prevent you from downshifting too low to avoid any troubles that may occur.

for your displays, the "S" display shows what gear you have set for the vehicle. in your center mini-display, it shows what gear the vehicle is actually in. basically, lets say youre stopped and youre driving in "S" mode. if you upshift to gear 3, itll show "3" in your "S" display, but your actual gear will be in "1".

hope this helps answer your questions!

ps. the dots represent the gears your vehicle isnt in
Old 04-02-08, 12:21 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^Yeah. The Lexus sport shift is less than ideal.
Old 04-02-08, 12:44 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
^^Yeah. The Lexus sport shift is less than ideal.
Agreed, The aesthetic looks are great behind the steering wheel, but that is about it. I never use mine.
Old 04-02-08, 12:49 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

i never use mines either....it will be useless in a drag race
Old 04-02-08, 01:05 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
Agreed, The aesthetic looks are great behind the steering wheel, but that is about it. I never use mine.
I like to use them in the snow for better control.
Old 04-02-08, 01:16 PM
kargahi
Driver

ok... im kinda following this... but i think i should definetly try this out before racing her... just to save the embarressment of the car shifting to 2nd gear on 20km... lol... and u know how u said leave it in auto... so just put it in D and stop beside her and just slam the throttle as hard as i can???? no S paddling no upshifting by myself??? none of that??? wow... that sounds kinda really easy.. lol

however... do u guyz think which one would win??? RX-8 Auto - vs is250 Auto... techniqually the IS should win becuse the ~20 extra hp... right??
Old 04-02-08, 01:30 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

torque......
Old 04-02-08, 01:50 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Isn't the RX-8 much lighter?

I don't think the HP advantage is going to help in that case...
Old 04-02-08, 02:33 PM
kargahi
Driver

i think we have the same hp.. but i have more torque... and her car is lighter than mine by 100KG... thats alot... i think i need to stand one car infront of her.. this is so embarressing... u know i should have bought a is350!!!
Old 04-02-08, 02:33 PM
kargahi
Driver

question... "kikin*" u look like a person who races... have u raced an RX-8 Before???
Old 04-02-08, 02:43 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

The paddle shifter sets and the big number above the "S" shows the maximum gear the car can automatically select. The one in the info display shows the gear that the car is actually in.

If you select a maximum gear that is lower than the one you are currently in, it should downshift immediately. (Or beep at you if downshifting would cause engine damage)

There is no way to compel an upshift.
Old 04-02-08, 02:58 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

It'll help a little too if the TRAC and VSC is off.
Old 04-02-08, 03:21 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kargahi
well to be honest, i either dont know how to use the paddle shifter, or it is just broken...
Dude, which fingers did you use to operator them? Need the middle fingers otherwise it won't work.

Quick Reply: Um... My Paddle Shifter Is Not Working...