IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why can't I find good tire shop that doesn't damage rims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 08:29 PM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Why can't I find good tire shop that doesn't damage rims?

Seeking advice.

Over the years, I've tried different tire shops.
Discount Tires, Big O Tires, Costco, Evans Tires, Dealers, etc.

So far, Costco was the only one who didn't really have significant damage (very light scratch on the edge which I can ignore)

My wife got a nail on the rear tire of the 1 year old IS250.
I've even called the local Lexus Dealer who recommended very specific Discount Tire shop, where they supposedly sub out lot of the tire replacements.

So I reluctantly took it to Discount Tire for the nail/flat repair.
After they were done, sure enough, an idiot damaged the center part of the rim when they used the "cone" to install the rim/tires for the balancing machine.

They send it in for the "professional repair shop" which was "completed" today and when I saw the work, it was mismatched touch up paint done by some amature (the paint wasn't even close with nice big blob). So they agreed to send it to another "professional repair shop" and I'm crossing my fingers.

If I was in Orange County, I would take it to Mag Masters but unfortunately, we moved to San Diego.

So I'm half venting and I'm half seeking advice where do you guys take your Lexus to get tires replaced or fixed? With 20"+ rims getting awfully common, I would assume there are shops out there that can replace tires without damaging the 18" Lexus rims.......
Old 04-01-08, 08:37 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea.....seems like the Lexus service has done the best job of not f-ing up my wheels/paint.

Every other place I've had it has done some damage or other. Seems like no one cares about other people's property.
Old 04-02-08, 03:35 AM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

i go to a shop called harlo raceing tire they deal with all tires and elot of drag stuff. so they do a good job.
Old 04-02-08, 03:40 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

those kinds of places are the same as taking your car to jiffy lube for a oil change... sure there are benifits to getting mooncakes off the net but you cant beat going to a REAL tuner type shop, i suggest you find one in your area.
Old 04-02-08, 05:45 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
those kinds of places are the same as taking your car to jiffy lube for a oil change... sure there are benifits to getting mooncakes off the net but you cant beat going to a REAL tuner type shop, i suggest you find one in your area.
Disagree Discount is a great place! Tire Rack is also a great place minus the service centers. Any place can mess up a rim while changing the tires out/ Things happen but thats why its better to go to a large chain that you know can stand behind there work!

To the OP..they will get it back to normal or request a new rim if you are not happy. Another option is ask the parts department what they have in back for you. Many times they have good used rims sitting around that they will give you as a swap for your rim. Sorry to hear about what happen but IMO you took your car to the right place.
Old 04-02-08, 07:21 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter how nice I am to point out the fact that I don't want my rims scratched and for the techs to take their time, they always manage to scrape my wheels. Also, I have deep wells for my lugs and the deep well wrench always manages to chip the ***** out of my wheels. Luckily the Tungsten Pearl touch-up paint is about identical. I feel your pain. When I had a rim replaced because the lip was smashed due to pothole damage, they scratched it up badly. I do plan to get this fixed and I was pi**ed about it. Some people do not care and allow the base of the wheel install machine too close to the lip of the rim. I installed tires while I was in High School 12 years ago and it is not that hard to take a little more precaution and use your eyes to inspect distance. I guess most places are in a hurry. Maybe tire install establishments policy will start changing once rims are being demanded to be replaced if they cannot keep from damaging them? As I am sure it is not their intention to damage rims, I think once a $600+ rim is replaced out of a $180 tire replacement, you will start seeing more care measures taken. That is my rant of the day. My point to all of this, Wendy's has a great Southwestern Chicken Ranch Salad.

Last edited by Brian231; 04-02-08 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-02-08, 09:16 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

tire changing these days is alot harder than it used to be with 14"-16" wheels. The sidewalls are getting thinner and thinner and sometimes no matter how careful you are or how advanced your machine is...you can't help it scratch or touch the rim with the tools.

trust me...it looks easier than it is. I recently mounted some 215/35/19 tires on my accord rims and it was a *****.
Old 04-02-08, 10:26 AM
Lama
Driver

If the guy installing the tire isn't using a TON of WD-40 on the bead while stretching it on (like all the new low-pro tires need), then tell him to STOP!, and go get some. Tire soap DOES NOT work on the tires like we use.
Old 04-02-08, 11:26 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

If you find a shop that uses a machine like this, it will never leave a mark on the wheel...

The rest is up to the tire guy / machine operator to use caution..

It even has heavy duty rubber feet to grab the wheel from the inside barrel with out marking it up..

Touchless mounting...

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-02-08 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-02-08, 11:38 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Disagree Discount is a great place! Tire Rack is also a great place minus the service centers. Any place can mess up a rim while changing the tires out/ Things happen but thats why its better to go to a large chain that you know can stand behind there work!
This is true, anything can happen but heres an example, i meet someone yesterday while hanging at my friends shop. he's about to to get his 6th tire from discount tire here on oahu, all 5 tires have bubbled... The shop i goto are pros, no scratches on any rim they put tires on AND they can even do 215 on 10's with 0 problems. Alot has to too do with how much care they put into doing the work, as with any business. The problem is finding such a shop like this. I wont take my car to anyother place than REV-01's
Old 04-02-08, 12:29 PM
TakaM
Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
This is true, anything can happen but heres an example, i meet someone yesterday while hanging at my friends shop. he's about to to get his 6th tire from discount tire here on oahu, all 5 tires have bubbled... The shop i goto are pros, no scratches on any rim they put tires on AND they can even do 215 on 10's with 0 problems. Alot has to too do with how much care they put into doing the work, as with any business. The problem is finding such a shop like this. I wont take my car to anyother place than REV-01's
Anyone know any shop like this in San Diego?
I don't mind paying bit extra $ just knowing that I get real professionals that wouldn't damage the rims.
Old 04-02-08, 01:06 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

discount tires is good u just have to stand there and watch them do and use touchless mounting like others have suggested.
Old 04-03-08, 04:02 PM
TakaM
Driver

Originally Posted by Drunkebuda
discount tires is good u just have to stand there and watch them do and use touchless mounting like others have suggested.
I did....and watch them jam up the cone incorrectly to chip the center part of the wheel during balancing.....

Last edited by TakaM; 04-03-08 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-03-08, 05:33 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Whats a good tire shop in So Cal? I have two nails in my left rear tire, one name is not leaking air at all but the other one has a really slow leak. Once a month I have to put air in that tire.

I'm also trying to find a person that can mount/dismount my tire and patch it up.
Old 04-03-08, 11:34 PM
nioks
Rookie

I have appointment with local Discount tire on Sat…..
Now, I am getting worry about damage since I am asking them to mount tire on new rim (I have) 19”. If they made damage to rim…….what to do? sometimes “be careful” doesn’t work. Iknow.....

Quick Reply: Why can't I find good tire shop that doesn't damage rims?