IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus ISx50 acousitcally flawed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 08:17 PM
n8236
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus ISx50 acousitcally flawed?

I know having the windows rolled down while on the freeway isn't an everyday occurrence, but even when the back windows are down just 1/4 or more, the noise becomes unbearable. It produces this constant "PHOOOOOOM" almost like a deafening sonic-boom. It physically hurts the ears.

I've had a few previous cars and it was never to this degree.
Old 04-01-08, 08:29 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I don't know if it is a FLAW..I mean all cars do it to an extent..ours more so than others for some reason but I mean I'm not too worried about it. I only drop the front two windows anyway..
Old 04-01-08, 08:42 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

yes thats bother me too!!! there was a guy who post last week saying that he was gonna trade his car because of that
Old 04-01-08, 08:44 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the problems I have:

** Front window(s) completely down = wind blowing into the side of your face / ear
** All four windows completely down = my mascot in the rear goes sliding onto the floorboard (easily fixable, but annoying none-the-less; BTW, don't flame)
** Sunroof open no matter what = vibrating rear view mirror (even post-TSB)

so, I pretty much always have an "issue," because I never drive with the windows partially open...... I don't want seal marks in the middle of the window

Also, one day I was driving with the front windows down, and a huge beetle pelted my face. It was a stunning experience considering I was going 60 mph when it happened.

But, what's worse than ALL of this???? : my convertible has less wind turbulence than the IS when the top is down

I actually don't really care. I'm just mentioning in good fun what I've observed.

Last edited by mikes rx; 04-01-08 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-01-08, 09:07 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx
so, I pretty much always have an "issue," because I never drive with the windows partially open...... I don't want seal marks in the middle of the window
Wow, that's a new one; either fully open or fully closed, and nothing in between. Seems a bit OC.....Whatever.......
Old 04-01-08, 09:11 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Here's the problems I have:

** Front window(s) completely down = wind blowing into the side of your face / ear
** All four windows completely down = my mascot in the rear goes sliding onto the floorboard (easily fixable, but annoying none-the-less; BTW, don't flame)
** Sunroof open no matter what = vibrating rear view mirror (even post-TSB)

Also, one day I was driving with the front windows down, and a huge beetle pelted my face. It was a stunning experience considering I was going 60 mph when it happened.

But, what's worse than ALL of this???? : my convertible has less wind turbulence than the IS when the top is down

I actually don't really care. I'm just mentioning in good fun what I've observed.
I got a smilar experience, I was about to hit a bird in mid flight like a split second before the bird makes contact with my windshield (the bird and I were having eye contact lol), he or she tilts their wing, and I see the bird just tilts sidways and glides over the curve of the windshield

That would suck if the bird came through my opened window and whamed me in the face
Old 04-02-08, 01:09 AM
stvn
Pole Position

this is why i want the side visors.
Old 04-02-08, 03:46 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Wow, that's a new one; either fully open or fully closed, and nothing in between. Seems a bit OC.....Whatever.......
not necessarily OCD, just ****.

But, if you know what I'm talking about, it can get slightly annoying seeing horizontal lines across the center of the window all the time.
Old 04-02-08, 04:09 AM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

Does it make a helicopter sounding noise?! I've had some kind of experience like that with my previous car. I had all my windows closed and just opened up my sunroof then about 50 - 60mph this loud helicopter sounding noise came in the whole car and all my passengers can hear it(one way for me to torture my passengers if they give me a hard time). And no, its not because there is a helicopter around me because it goes away if i go above or below 50 - 60mph. And I tried it 4 times to make sure it was the car and not a "helicopter" around me. Not to sure if this is the same experience or similar to what is happening with you.
Old 04-02-08, 04:16 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

mine sounds fine. maybe my JDM rain guards help me out . haha.
Old 04-02-08, 04:21 AM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by weesped
mine sounds fine. maybe my JDM rain guards help me out . haha.
LoL. You haven't had that problem yet, or I just haven't tried.

Also, just because you got rain guards...........I'll get one too then so I can copy you.
Old 04-02-08, 05:54 AM
suorum
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikes rx
ROTFL!!!!! That's by far the funniest reason for not having your windows rolled down!! +1 for you!

BAck to the topic......if u dont want to get that anoying PHOOOOOOOOM u just roll down a little bit more than 1 windows (2 fronts, 1 front + 1 rear...whatever)....and that's IT!!!
Old 04-02-08, 07:01 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
I got a smilar experience, I was about to hit a bird in mid flight like a split second before the bird makes contact with my windshield (the bird and I were having eye contact lol), he or she tilts their wing, and I see the bird just tilts sidways and glides over the curve of the windshield

That would suck if the bird came through my opened window and whamed me in the face
I am really glad that you and the bird shared that special moment. It was at that point and time, you were to accelerate that bird's departure from this planet. Luckily, the bird veered out of the way.
Old 04-02-08, 07:18 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by suorum
ROTFL!!!!! That's by far the funniest reason for not having your windows rolled down!! +1 for you!

BAck to the topic......if u dont want to get that anoying PHOOOOOOOOM u just roll down a little bit more than 1 windows (2 fronts, 1 front + 1 rear...whatever)....and that's IT!!!
or crack the sunroof....Its simple...you are letting air in, but the car is airtight and the is nowhere for the air you are adding to go once the volume of the car is full...so it has to go out the same way it came in....causing the noise....if you give the air an exit...no noise....
Old 04-02-08, 07:30 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

I think that noise has something to do with like the pressure in the cabin maybe? Like when someone rolls the window down and your ears pop. ? IDK. Maybe I dont know what im talking about lol

Quick Reply: Lexus ISx50 acousitcally flawed?