IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Servicing at Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 12:41 AM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servicing at Toyota?

So I've read the threads on here and I think I'm decided on taking my 250 to a Toyota dealer for the 12 months/16,000km service since Lexus wants $300 for it.

My only concern is, what exactly will Toyota do other than change my oil and filter? I can change the cabin air filter myself, but what about the rest of the stuff listed in the Lexus service manual? Will Toyota check my fluids and coolants and all that?

Also, I know I can find this if I search, but if anyone knows what oil filter I need I'd appreciate it.
Old 04-01-08, 01:47 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeap im sure they will check em..i dunno if they do the test drive tho...oil filter is 04152-YZZA5 can buy it here with 15% discount - http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_det...id=77315&all=Y
Old 04-01-08, 02:22 AM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Unfortunately I'm in Canada so I can't buy from there. I'm happy buying from Toyota if they stock it, it will still be oodles cheaper than Lexus.

I guess I will go there and then do the air filter myself since it's been 12 months.

Cheers!
Old 04-01-08, 05:30 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Koofteh
My only concern is, what exactly will Toyota do other than change my oil and filter?
Take your $300!

Koz
Old 04-01-08, 07:15 AM
Koofteh
Pole Position

^ What does that mean? I'm sure Toyota will charge half if not less than half of what Lexus is asking ($300).
Old 04-01-08, 07:46 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Since the tranny is sealed and most oil change establishments have the 2gen filter in stock, You really only have to go to Toyota for the radiator fluid flush/drain and fill for the special silicate and phosphate free long duration fluid and maybe alignments.
Old 04-01-08, 08:10 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don’t be a cheapskate. As with other threads on this subject, Toyota dealers cannot do warranty work on your Lexus; they may not stock the proper parts; and their mechanics may not have the expertise with Lexus’ that you have the right to expect. Furthermore, no entries are made into the Lexus database regarding your car’s service record.
Old 04-01-08, 08:23 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Magellan
Don’t be a cheapskate. As with other threads on this subject, Toyota dealers cannot do warranty work on your Lexus; they may not stock the proper parts; and their mechanics may not have the expertise with Lexus’ that you have the right to expect. Furthermore, no entries are made into the Lexus database regarding your car’s service record.
I personally will just go to Lexus if it is fluid related. I think some CL Members go to Toyota because the closest Lexus Dealers are too far. Sometimes it is more than a cost issue. I think we are all fine because of the 4 year 50k bumper to bumper and 70k powertrain. These 2gens are very efficient and don't require much other than oil changes, air filter, cabin filter, wiper blades, fluid inspection, tire rotations, diffferential fluid and occasional alignments. I ma going to stick with the stock (non-dusty) pads though, I find OEM pads to work better than aftermarket. It is also nice that we have a timing chain (just keep iol changed and it will last) . My gen 1 had the rubber belt that was a $500 plus dealer replacement at 90k (most last between 80-100k).
Old 04-01-08, 08:57 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Not paying $100+ for a 20 minute oil change isn' t being cheap, it's being smart.

You can literally train a monkey to change oil. Just check any jiffy lube for proof (not that I'd take my lexus there, but a toyota dealership ought to be fine)
Old 04-01-08, 09:14 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Not paying $100+ for a 20 minute oil change isn' t being cheap, it's being smart.
I don’t know where you got that $100 figure. My last oil/filter change, albeit on my Infiniti, cost me just $35, and that included a full inspection of other parameters, a car wash, and free coffee and donuts.
Old 04-01-08, 09:19 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t know where you got that $100 figure. My last oil/filter change, albeit on my Infiniti, cost me just $35, and that included a full inspection of other parameters, a car wash, and free coffee and donuts.
I think it really comes down to the coffee, donuts and soda IMO (LOL)!!!!
Old 04-01-08, 09:33 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

That's great.

When you have something to say about -lexus- then this'd be a great place to post about it.

I hear Infiniti has their own boards.
Old 04-01-08, 10:01 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Yes, the record of warranty work will not be recorded on the Lexus data base if going to Toyota, but you can always get a record service on paper from Toyota to show proof you had serivces done.

My Lexus dealership is right next to a Toyota dealership, and between the dealerships, a lot of parts are standard to use on a Toyota or Lexus (since Lexus is a Toyota). I know this because my Lexus dealership gets certain parts from the Toyota parts dept.

If you have any concerns about taking your car to Toyota, talk to one of the service managers there about what services you want performed. If Toyota doesn't have the filter...ect that your IS 250 desires, order it off the internet and Toyota will more than likely do the service. My hometown Toyota dealership is awesome. I have no problems getting my routine stuff done there, but I am not sure about the major services yet???...I'll cross that bridge when it comes.
Old 04-01-08, 11:31 AM
Koofteh
Pole Position

As others have said it's not a matter of being a cheapskate, it's a matter of being an informed consumer. I am smart enough to realize that a Lexus scheduled maintenance isn't much else than an oil change and visual inspections. I don't need them to test drive my car, I don't need them to give me free Starbucks, I don't need them to put a newspaper and water bottle in my car after servicing it. Thus I will not pay $300 for an oil change at the Lexus dealer.

I also don't care if Toyota don't update my car service history at Lexus, because I will save my receipts with the details of what they did to my car. And why would I care that Toyota don't do warranty work on a Lexus? Is a scheduled maintenance warranty work? Yeah, didn't think so.

Anyway... so I'm okay going to Toyota other than having to swallow my pride (which certain members here seem unable to do)? Does Lexus do anything extra in their scheduled services compared to Toyota other than crap like the test drive?

Last edited by Koofteh; 04-01-08 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-01-08, 11:56 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koofteh
As others have said it's not a matter of being a cheapskate, it's a matter of being an informed consumer. I am smart enough to realize that a Lexus scheduled maintenance isn't much else than an oil change and visual inspections. I don't need them to test drive my car, I don't need them to give me free Starbucks, I don't need them to put a newspaper and water bottle in my car after servicing it. Thus I will not pay $300 for an oil change at the Lexus dealer.

I also don't care if Toyota don't update my car service history at Lexus, because I will save my receipts with the details of what they did to my car. And why would I care that Toyota don't do warranty work on a Lexus? Is a scheduled maintenance warranty work? Yeah, didn't think so.

Anyway... so I'm okay going to Toyota other than having to swallow my pride (which certain members here seem unable to do)? Does Lexus do anything extra in their scheduled services compared to Toyota other than crap like the test drive?
My dealership will also give you some cookies to take home.

Up to you if that's worth $300 or not.

Quick Reply: Servicing at Toyota?