IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Servicing at Toyota?

Old 04-02-08, 11:00 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magellan
I don’t know where you got that $100 figure. My last oil/filter change, albeit on my Infiniti, cost me just $35, and that included a full inspection of other parameters, a car wash, and free coffee and donuts.
Not all Lexus dealers have free coffee and donuts. Mine doesn't even have a TV in the waiting room. I think it was also about $75 to change the oil and filter and inspect and top off fluids. Anyone can do that.
Old 04-02-08, 11:04 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koofteh
It was well deserved. You are actually admitting you are a big enough snob that you wouldn't take your Lexus to a non-Lexus garage even if you can be sure they're doing the same work.

And for the love of God, it's not that I can't afford a $300 service at Lexus, but why should I when Toyota (and I'm not talking Mr. Lube here) is charging 1/3 or less? I'm not clinically insane like you seem to be.

Why do some members feel the need to force their opinions on others? I'm decided on taking my car to Toyota and had some questions about it... I didn't ask "Should I Service @ Toyota?"

This is just a warning. Take any personal grief with another member to PM. Don't air it out on the forums.

I may agree with you about taking your car to Toyota to save money, heck I would if they performed the same work for cheaper, but just because others don't agree with that philosophy doesn't give you the right to make it personal and air it out on the forums. Time to just drop it and continue on with the topic.
Old 04-02-08, 01:05 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always taken my car to Lexus, but the reason for that is that I feel like if I take it to Toyota all the time, the one time when I NEED to take it to Lexus for something that Toyota can't handle, the people at Lexus will take notice and treat me like I don't respect their dealership.

Does that sound paranoid?

Maybe. Maybe not.

For one of my earlier services, I was at the counter in the service department, and I asked the guy if the price he was quoting me was the same at all dealerships. He responded by saying "Well... maybe, maybe not. Actually I think it's more expensive at Bellevue. Also, we can't guarantee that another place has the amazing service that we have," etc, etc. His attitude was such that he didn't like the idea of me going somewhere else. Not a surprise to me, I guess, but my thought was such that if I ever had to come back after going somewhere else, maybe they wouldn't take care of my car as well as someone who'd been loyal to Seattle?

Regardless, they're all pretty nice there, and they usually take care of little things for free, like, if the tire's low, they'll check it, fill it, wash the car and give me cookies, candy and soda while I watch movies, all for free. I'm paying more than I'd like to, yes, but peace of mind has its price, too.
Old 04-02-08, 01:24 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think its just a waste of money if you can do it yourself. I baby my car so i dont like people to mess with my car if they don't know what they are doing. they also charge crazy prices for synthetic oil. When i got my car for the free oil change it cost me 75 extra to put synthetic in...That was a rip i can change my oil with Royal purple 3 times with that price...its just being a good consumer hey but if one wants to blow more money then they need to then why not i know my money dont grow on trees
Old 04-02-08, 04:02 PM
jefflast
Driver School Candidate

Default Bergstrom Lexus - Appleton, WI

My last oil change was $63 with tax. Included car wash (hand-washed, inside and out), wi-fi Internet, fresh baked cookies, fresh fruit/veggy platter, meat/cheese and crackers, water/soda, widescreen plasma HDTV, leather couch, AND complimentary bag of cashews for the ride home.

They treat you well at Bergstrom...

Jeff
Old 04-02-08, 04:16 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jefflast
My last oil change was $63 with tax. Included car wash (hand-washed, inside and out), wi-fi Internet, fresh baked cookies, fresh fruit/veggy platter, meat/cheese and crackers, water/soda, widescreen plasma HDTV, leather couch, AND complimentary bag of cashews for the ride home.
Oh yea? Well my Lexus dealer shines my shoes, gives me a massage and a free shrimp cocktail for the ride home.

OK, just kidding --for those who are reaching for their keyboards.
Old 04-02-08, 06:12 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

^ Thanks, I'll call them up tomorrow.

You can close this thread now if you want.
Old 04-02-08, 06:38 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jefflast

They treat you well at Bergstrom...

Jeff
I would go to the dealer if it was only $63. But in Vegas I was quoted $100 for an oil change. I refuse to pay that.
Old 04-03-08, 03:40 AM
aircav
Driver School Candidate

When I had my 15,000 mile service it was more than just an oil change. I don't have the paper handy, but they changed out the wiper blades and other stuff. Personally I think it was expensive and a bit early for the blades. The service was 2.5 hours by the book, so its the labor per hour driving up the cost. I did take a loaner car for free of course (had a lunch date). The point is my Lexus is following a scheduled service that is more than just an oil change. I did have some complaints with them, and the next 'oil change' will be free. I have considered Toyota simply because there is no Lexus in my town, but if they are just doing an oil change they are probably missing quite a few things.
Old 04-03-08, 06:33 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aircav
When I had my 15,000 mile service it was more than just an oil change. I don't have the paper handy, but they changed out the wiper blades and other stuff. Personally I think it was expensive and a bit early for the blades. The service was 2.5 hours by the book, so its the labor per hour driving up the cost. I did take a loaner car for free of course (had a lunch date). The point is my Lexus is following a scheduled service that is more than just an oil change. I did have some complaints with them, and the next 'oil change' will be free. I have considered Toyota simply because there is no Lexus in my town, but if they are just doing an oil change they are probably missing quite a few things.

_most_ scheduled service visits are an oil change and a bunch of worthless crap they charge you for (ie visually inspect stuff that never goes bad, or rotate tires on a car that they can't be rotated on). Occasionally they change an air or cabin filter you could do yourself in 10 minutes for 1/5th the price.

There's a couple of major services that they do more on, but most of em are just very overpriced oil changes.
Old 04-03-08, 09:17 AM
sith120
Rookie

The 2nd gen IS 250 do theyhave timing chain or belt? - please confirm

Thanks
Old 04-03-08, 09:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sith120
The 2nd gen IS 250 do theyhave timing chain or belt? - please confirm

Thanks
They have a chain
Old 04-04-08, 01:22 AM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
_most_ scheduled service visits are an oil change and a bunch of worthless crap they charge you for (ie visually inspect stuff that never goes bad, or rotate tires on a car that they can't be rotated on). Occasionally they change an air or cabin filter you could do yourself in 10 minutes for 1/5th the price.

There's a couple of major services that they do more on, but most of em are just very overpriced oil changes.
Yes, a voice of reason finally. If anyone doesn't believe this fact you can look in your Lexus service manual and see what it lists for your specific mileage. Aside from a few milestones, most services are a change of oil/oil filter, cabin air filter and a visual inspection of coolants and fluids and stuff like that. Tires can't be rotated in the IS so that's moot, and the rest is stuff like washing your car and a test drive by a Lexus tech.

Granted Toyota will probably not change my cabin air filter, but I can take care of that myself.

Just to let you guys know I booked with Toyota today and they quoted me $20 for labour. They also stock the oil filter which is $7... everything plus oil should be less than $50, compared to Lexus' quote of $300. It's gonna take them about 3.5 hours as their busy though. But still I'm happy, thanks for all the help guys.
Old 04-05-08, 06:07 PM
aircav
Driver School Candidate

I forgot to mention another reason I opted for the Lexus service over Toyota is that I just bought the car used recently (from Carmax), and this was its first service since I owned it. So I thought it best that Lexus looked at it. I will however look at the services and the 'non-milestone' ones will be at Toyota most likely, a big factor again is there is not Lexus dealership here.

Wow, I managed to double my posts already. I must say this seems to be a great site with lots of useful information; glad to join you all.