IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Servicing at Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 12:06 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Yeah, it isn't. I'm guessing Toyota will not be more than $100. I could even go to Jiffy Lube but I want some kind of trained guys working on my car... I think Toyota will suffice for an oil change and visual check.
Old 04-01-08, 12:21 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
That's great.

When you have something to say about -lexus- then this'd be a great place to post about it.

I hear Infiniti has their own boards.
Well, it’s hard to compare the two because Lexus has a different maintenance schedule. But looking at our 20K visit records to the Lexus dealer for our IS250, the charge for oil change was as follows:

“Change oil & filter, add fuel injection cleaner, inspect brakes, hoses, belts and tires.” The total cost less the injection cleaner part was $94. Of course, that included the car wash, donuts and coffee. Sorry, I think that’s well worth it.

The other thing that you Toyota advocates have missed is when you go in for routine maintenance, like an oil change, and they find something else that needs to be repaired or replaced under warranty (and that has happened to me). If the Toyota dealer is nice enough to tell you about it, and there’s no assurance of that, you would have to make an extra trip anyway to a Lexus dealer. And the donuts are fresher there.
Old 04-01-08, 12:22 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koofteh
As others have said it's not a matter of being a cheapskate, it's a matter of being an informed consumer. I am smart enough to realize that a Lexus scheduled maintenance isn't much else than an oil change and visual inspections. I don't need them to test drive my car, I don't need them to give me free Starbucks, I don't need them to put a newspaper and water bottle in my car after servicing it. Thus I will not pay $300 for an oil change at the Lexus dealer.

I also don't care if Toyota don't update my car service history at Lexus, because I will save my receipts with the details of what they did to my car. And why would I care that Toyota don't do warranty work on a Lexus? Is a scheduled maintenance warranty work? Yeah, didn't think so.

Anyway... so I'm okay going to Toyota other than having to swallow my pride (which certain members here seem unable to do)? Does Lexus do anything extra in their scheduled services compared to Toyota other than crap like the test drive?
Yeah, I don't like the idea of the dealer "road test"...I get pictures in my head of the techs driving the crap out of my car

You can go to the Toyota website and check out what they recommend for service intervals on the Toyota models and compare it to what it says in the Lexus service manual.

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com...nt_id=0&done=1

Last edited by Little E; 04-01-08 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-01-08, 12:50 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Little E
You can go to the Toyota website and check out what they recommend for service intervals on the Toyota models and compare it to what it says in the Lexus service manual.

I believe you’re making my point. Note this from the Toyota web site you referenced:
You can count on your Toyota dealership for Genuine Toyota Parts and factory-trained technicians. And by following the recommended maintenance schedule for your Toyota, you can enjoy many years of reliable performance while ensuring that your warranty remains intact.
That’s certainly true for Lexus dealerships too.
Old 04-01-08, 12:54 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
I believe you’re making my point. Note this from the Toyota web site you referenced:

That’s certainly true for Lexus dealerships too.

And it's a well known scare tactic.

I could change my own oil. For like 20 bucks. And insure my warranty remained in tact too.

But hey, keep paying $100 for a simple oil change if it gives ya piece of mind.

But for some perspective, my 08 IS350 is already paid for. In part because I know enough to -not- pay someone $100 for an oil change.
Old 04-01-08, 01:16 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And it's a well known scare tactic.

I could change my own oil. For like 20 bucks. And insure my warranty remained in tact too.

But for some perspective, my 08 IS350 is already paid for. In part because I know enough to -not- pay someone $100 for an oil change.
Scare tactic it is, I always did my own oil changes, I just simply kept my receipts and made a log for the exact mileage. Luckily I never needed to make a claim based on any engine or tranny issue. it works wonders when selling or trading in though.
Old 04-01-08, 01:19 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Well, I covered the following story in another thread awhile back:

In the seventies I owned a Porsche 914, known to some as a poor man’s Volkswagen. We 914 owners hated that because we thought we owned bona fide Porsches. One time I needed rubber spark plug covers but the Porsche dealer was out of them. The parts guy suggested I go across the street to the Volkswagen dealer (the 914 had a Volkswagen engine). I did that, standing in line with the unwashed masses to get Volkswagen parts for my prized Porsche. I guess I’m a snob but it was a bit humiliating and I vowed never to do such a thing again.

Yes, I’ll pay those few extra bucks. After all, if I can afford a Lexus I can afford the service too.
Old 04-01-08, 05:09 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
Well, I covered the following story in another thread awhile back:

In the seventies I owned a Porsche 914, known to some as a poor man’s Volkswagen. We 914 owners hated that because we thought we owned bona fide Porsches. One time I needed rubber spark plug covers but the Porsche dealer was out of them. The parts guy suggested I go across the street to the Volkswagen dealer (the 914 had a Volkswagen engine). I did that, standing in line with the unwashed masses to get Volkswagen parts for my prized Porsche. I guess I’m a snob but it was a bit humiliating and I vowed never to do such a thing again.

Yes, I’ll pay those few extra bucks. After all, if I can afford a Lexus I can afford the service too.

You'll go far in life with that attitude! What a ******* moron!
Old 04-01-08, 06:21 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Little E
Yeah, I don't like the idea of the dealer "road test"...I get pictures in my head of the techs driving the crap out of my car

I saw a service guy near a local toyota dealership revving the hell out of a new Avalon at a red light and pedal to the floor at the green light... i wonder if service ppl normally do that 0.o
Old 04-01-08, 10:46 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kingofire
You'll go far in life with that attitude! What a ******* moron!
Putting aside that you seem to have no sense of humor, at least I’m bright enough to make an attempt to follow our forum rules that forbid personal attacks on other CL members. It seems that’s the first thing you forgot.
Old 04-02-08, 03:29 AM
Koofteh
Pole Position

It was well deserved. You are actually admitting you are a big enough snob that you wouldn't take your Lexus to a non-Lexus garage even if you can be sure they're doing the same work.

And for the love of God, it's not that I can't afford a $300 service at Lexus, but why should I when Toyota (and I'm not talking Mr. Lube here) is charging 1/3 or less? I'm not clinically insane like you seem to be.

Why do some members feel the need to force their opinions on others? I'm decided on taking my car to Toyota and had some questions about it... I didn't ask "Should I Service @ Toyota?"

Last edited by Koofteh; 04-02-08 at 03:33 AM.
Old 04-02-08, 07:33 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote this thread should be closed!!!!
Old 04-02-08, 08:41 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Take it easy....some of you guys get sooo worked up on here.
Old 04-02-08, 09:36 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koofteh
It was well deserved. You are actually admitting you are a big enough snob that you wouldn't take your Lexus to a non-Lexus garage even if you can be sure they're doing the same work.

And for the love of God, it's not that I can't afford a $300 service at Lexus, but why should I when Toyota (and I'm not talking Mr. Lube here) is charging 1/3 or less? I'm not clinically insane like you seem to be.

Why do some members feel the need to force their opinions on others? I'm decided on taking my car to Toyota and had some questions about it... I didn't ask "Should I Service @ Toyota?"
I really don’t understand your point. One of the foundations of CL is to ask others their opinions and advice and to give them yours. No one is "forcing” anything on another member. If you weren’t interested in differing opinions on servicing, you should have never initiated the thread in the first place.

Furthermore, I believe we can all exchange differences of opinion without personal attacks on those with whom we differ.

To our moderators: I agree this thread should be closed. I’ve been called a ******* moron and clinically insane now. What is this forum coming to? Have all our rules on courtesy been suspended?
Old 04-02-08, 09:58 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

no no no, all parts for lexus is toyota made. all you have to do is call in and make sure they have your oil filter in stock. I forgot which other toyota uses the same filter. the only difference between toyota service and lexus service might be that lexus likes to baby our cars and toyota might not because of the high volumes they get(not to mention they charge a whole lot less).

Quick Reply: Servicing at Toyota?