IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Parking Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 07:42 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are these "parking sensors" only in the back? or do they do the front bumper too? Please advise.

Thanks
Old 04-01-08, 08:00 AM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

I already have an after market kit that i bought before my ride, but the this is that with after market, i have to put that thing on the top of the dash :S
Old 04-01-08, 08:16 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ML86
So are these "parking sensors" only in the back? or do they do the front bumper too? Please advise.

Thanks
The back, plus the front outside edges of the front bumpers... so no sensor directly in front of the vehicle.
Old 04-01-08, 08:26 AM
bennynihon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The back, plus the front outside edges of the front bumpers... so no sensor directly in front of the vehicle.
Can this option be added after purchase through an OEM kit?
Old 04-01-08, 08:28 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I've always thought the 2 fronts in the corner were for the dynamic cruise.
Old 04-01-08, 08:55 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AzNLeX350
I've always thought the 2 fronts in the corner were for the dynamic cruise.
No, radar cruise (a massively more expensive option than park assist) uses a different front emblem (the actual lexus emblem on the front is different)
Old 04-01-08, 11:00 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Parking sensors are good idea but not worth it. Rode in a friends car who has it. Beeps every time a motorcycles pass by, annoying as hell. If you can drive, you should be able to park without depending on technology.
Old 04-01-08, 01:55 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Parking sensors are good idea but not worth it. Rode in a friends car who has it. Beeps every time a motorcycles pass by, annoying as hell. If you can drive, you should be able to park without depending on technology.
I've NEVER had it beep while driving, even in bumper to bumper traffic. Plus, you can turn it off easily, if desired.

Honestly, the only time it beeps "accidentally" is if a passenger walks around the car when they get out. Also, because of the slope of my driveway, it will beep when I reach the edge of the driveway, because it picks up the street)

Originally Posted by Koz
If you have the nav don't waste your money. The back-up camera works much better when backing up. The front doesn't have a center sensor so it is useless. The system doesn't always sense some objects and can cause damage. I don't even use it, anymore. If I would have known, when ordering, I would have passed on them. Sorry not worth $500!

Koz
So what if the front doesn't have a sensor in the center. If you don't know how close you are to something directly in front of you, then you shouldn't be driving.

But, it's EXTREMELY useful for more "questionable" spots such as the far front corner and the entire rear, which is especially great because you can't see the trunk when using the mirror / turning around. Therefore, there is no perception on where the end of the car is. And, this feeling is even worse when you're backing the car up going uphill.

But, keep in mind that I have no nav, therefore no backup cam. I can definitely see the sensors being more needless if you have the backup cam.

Also, I've never had it NOT pick something up. Then again, even if it did, it's a park assist to tell you how close you are to something, not a replacement for observation of hidden items (hence the name)

Last edited by mikes rx; 04-01-08 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-01-08, 03:55 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You are right about not needing to sense the front of the vehicle, not even for the corners. The only way the system would be useful for the front of the car would be if it had a sensor for the front spoiler. The rear is useful if you don't have nav. With the nav I can back up within a 1/4 inch. I have found that the system has a hard time with vertical objects like posts, depending on their location. I found myself almost hitting a couple times if it wasn't for the back-up camera. I don’t feel confident about depending on the PA as the primary way to back up.

Koz