IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What's your ISx50 car washing ritual?
HOME CAR WASH CAUSE YOU LOVE YOUR BABY THAT MUCH
84.67%
AUTOMATED CAR WASH
11.00%
GO TO THE DEALER FOR A FREE CAR WASH
3.00%
WHAT'S A CAR WASH? WHY WASTE WATER?
1.33%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Car Wash Rituals W/poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 09:30 AM
Premier
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer to do it myself or get a detailer. Though sometimes i use the hand-wash services even though they do an ok sorta job
Old 03-31-08, 09:51 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

hmmm, I like to wash my car down at home also. i just park it in my driveway, hose it down, i have griot's garage car wash and 100% real boar's hair brush that I use to scrub it down, then i clean the tires/wheels with griot's biodegradable wheel cleaner (plus it smells like cherry) (oh and it's approved by Dayton Wire Wheels and BBS) then I vacuum the interior (don't have to treat the interior to much but with a clean sweep of the swiffer duster cuz the car sits in my garage) then i dry the car up, spray griot's speed shine, rub and buff. I'm prolly done in 45 minutes. I have the clay, wax and all that stuff but i'm afraid. I don't know how to use that stuff properly lol

Edit - I also have a bottle of Optimum No-Rinse car wash but I haven't had a chance to use it. I'm waiting till I run out of my Griot's Car wash soap first . . .
Old 03-31-08, 09:55 AM
chums
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

during winter/early spring i take my vehicle through the autowash at the dealership once or twice a week, i just do it myself after i get off work. this includes getting the door jams, inside trunk lid, etc.

once may rolls around, ill do a full detail of both the exterior and interior with a full p21s detail kit to eliminate swirls created from my 'autowash' season.

no matter what time of the year it is, itll always rain in seattle. so basically, ill only autowash when its the real nasty season, but if theres a break from the rain ill handwash, and ONLY handwash during late spring/summer/early fall.
Old 03-31-08, 10:41 AM
Tajman82
Rookie

haha man we baby our rides
Old 03-31-08, 12:45 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Touchless wash if I REALLY need to........

90% hand wash (myself) with Optimum No Rinse

NEVER take it to the dealer to wash if you have a dark color car......
Old 03-31-08, 03:20 PM
lexXxus13
Driver

Originally Posted by kickin8
Touchless wash if I REALLY need to........

90% hand wash (myself) with Optimum No Rinse

NEVER take it to the dealer to wash if you have a dark color car......

Our dealer is relatively small and doesn't have an automatic car wash. They actually wash and wax it by hand. This still worries me a bit but definitely not as bad as most dealers. All depends on which employee washes it!!
Old 03-31-08, 03:23 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I'm not **** about my car so my ritual is:

drive in to car wash
pay
read a book
drive out

Old 03-31-08, 08:24 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Ever since I got my black IS home, I have not let anyone but myself to wash it. I tried to wash it as carefully as I could, followed all the detailing steps and stuff, but my black car still has fine swirls every where and noticeable under sunlight. With my ridiculously impertinent personality of course that is the results.....haha but I would still keep this rituals and let's see if I could improve on my detailing/washing skills.

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 04-02-08 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 10:00 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I never wash, even after rain. Meguiar's Ulitmate Quik Detailer 1 or 2 times a week, Meguiar's Quik Detailer on the wheels.

Javier
Javy how many microfibers do you go through? I find that once I quick detail my car ie the way you do it with the spray, my microfiber is pretty much done for even after i try washing it.
Old 04-01-08, 03:50 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Would NEVER take it thru car wash... wash by hand every 1-2 weeks, wax every 6-8 weeks during "warm" time of year here, pressure wash during "winter"....
Old 04-01-08, 03:53 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Ever since I got my black IS home, I have not let anyone buy myself to wash it. I tried to wash it as carefully as I could, followed all the detailing steps and stuff, but my black car still has fine swirls every where and noticeable under sunlight. With my ridiculously impertinent personality of course that is the results.....haha but I would still keep this rituals and let's see if I could improve on my detailing/washing skills.
Had a detailing business for a while after college... I don't know of an automaker who's black paint doesn't swirl.... light buffer(all-new pads) will bring it out....
Old 04-01-08, 07:32 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Javy how many microfibers do you go through? I find that once I quick detail my car ie the way you do it with the spray, my microfiber is pretty much done for even after i try washing it.
It depends how dirty the car is. I always use a separate towel for my wheels; I have another just for windows, and a third for the painted body panels. If it just rained, I'll usually go through two microfibers for the painted surfaces. Normally (no rain) I only need one for the body panels. I showed some people my process yesterday and they were amazed at the results. I think I just sold some more Ultimate Quik Detailer for Meguiars...

Javier
Old 04-01-08, 10:02 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I try to wash it as often as possible by hand. I've had a few dealer washes, but only when I'm desperate.
Old 04-01-08, 05:29 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

Once or twice a month I do a normal wash (plain water, shampoo, dry, wheels, tire shine, wipe down interior panels).

Every six months or so I do the crazy (wash with soap and water, dry, clay, shampoo, blackfire sealant, shine enhancer, finisher, wheels, tire shine, leather conditioner, interior detail).

We'll see if I can keep it up since my work has gotten so busy.
Old 04-01-08, 10:21 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
It depends how dirty the car is. I always use a separate towel for my wheels; I have another just for windows, and a third for the painted body panels. If it just rained, I'll usually go through two microfibers for the painted surfaces. Normally (no rain) I only need one for the body panels. I showed some people my process yesterday and they were amazed at the results. I think I just sold some more Ultimate Quik Detailer for Meguiars...

Javier
Hey Javier,

I am curious about your process. What would you do if their is sand like substance on your car? Would you still use the wipe or would you hose it down?

Quick Reply: Car Wash Rituals W/poll