IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08, 06:51 PM
Sgt_K
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead battery

Ok, i just got off the phone with my wife and she is at the Sacramento Airport where our 250 has been parked for about a week. She tried to unlock the doors with the electric key opener but nothing worked. Perfect timing on my behalf when I called, because she never had to use the actual key to open the door.

So i asked her to turn on the head lights, which run off the batter, and see if they come on, nothing. So obviously the battery is deader than dead. Has anyone ever had their battery die from sitting for just a week? Its only a 2007 and we haven’t had any issues with the car until now.

Has anyone had any problems with the car not starting like this when its been sitting for a long period of time?

The crapy thing is that I am in the middle east and i cant really help her out to much, i just told her to ask the security guards for a jump start.
Old 03-28-08, 06:58 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

What about Lexus roadside assistance? I'm sure they could help.
Old 03-28-08, 07:02 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's pretty odd that a 07 parked for a week could have a completely drained battery. Did your wife leave a light on inside, or does the car have an aftermarket stereo with an high powered amp?

If you guys have AAA they can also jump it for u.
Old 03-28-08, 07:18 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

free lexus roadside service....!
Old 03-28-08, 07:38 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

She should have called Lexus roadside assistance and then taken it to the Lexus dealership. They will definitely cover it. Probably was a defective battery. My dealership discovered during service a bad battery on my old RX when it was 3.5 years old and changed it for free, then at the next service determined that it wasn't working that well and changed it again for free. All along it had been working fine for me so they can obviously test it better than my daily driving!
Old 03-28-08, 07:58 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must be a current leak somewhere. But where? That is the million dollar question.
Old 04-13-08, 07:54 PM
ggardner
Driver School Candidate

I had my battery go dead twice before i was told by the dealer that leaving the seat heater switch in anything other than the off position would drain the battery. sounds strange but have not had a problem since started making sure it is in off position.

Originally Posted by Sgt_K
Ok, i just got off the phone with my wife and she is at the Sacramento Airport where our 250 has been parked for about a week. She tried to unlock the doors with the electric key opener but nothing worked. Perfect timing on my behalf when I called, because she never had to use the actual key to open the door.

So i asked her to turn on the head lights, which run off the batter, and see if they come on, nothing. So obviously the battery is deader than dead. Has anyone ever had their battery die from sitting for just a week? Its only a 2007 and we haven’t had any issues with the car until now.

Has anyone had any problems with the car not starting like this when its been sitting for a long period of time?

The crapy thing is that I am in the middle east and i cant really help her out to much, i just told her to ask the security guards for a jump start.
Old 04-13-08, 08:12 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is so weird. My kids leave them on all the time on the old RX ('99) and RX400h with no issues other than their mother being annoyed as the lipstick in my pocketbook melts. I'll ask my service advisor next time.
Old 04-13-08, 08:38 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long do you get Free Lexus Roadside Assistance after you purchase the car?
Old 04-13-08, 08:47 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Over here it's for the life of the warranty..that's 4 yrs.
Old 04-13-08, 08:56 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Before I sold my beater my IS250 has been garaged for two weeks straight once or twice. Battery never has given me any problems.
Old 04-14-08, 03:33 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

did you guys leave the parking brake on?

i noticed that drains the battery.

what about a cell phone charger left in the socket?
Old 04-15-08, 08:19 AM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
Must be a current leak somewhere. But where? That is the million dollar question.
Agree its probably the little red wire strapped to the green wire that sits on top of the bundle of 3,000 wires shouldn't be hard to find LOL
Old 04-15-08, 09:29 AM
wilwilB
Driver

Same thing happened to me 2 weeks after getting my car lol. Car was sitting in my garage, couldn't open doors, couldn't turn on headlight. It was 11 @ night so couldn't call dealer. I called roadside assistance, car towed to the dealer and got it fixed the next morning. They said the battery was completely dead. It was because I didn't close the door hard enough, so the headlight didn't go off and it drained out the battery after having it on 7 hours. I'm pretty sure your wife did the same thing. Just tell her to call roadside assistance, they'll help her out.
Old 04-15-08, 10:16 AM
Sgt_K
Driver

Yes the parking brake was on, but it’s a manual so it has to be on.

She didn’t leave any lights on, the dome lamp button was not set to turn on when the doors are open, and the head lamps where not set to auto on/off.

The doors where all closed nice and tight, so that’s not it.

She took it in for service last week and the lead service Tec said that the stock Lexus batteries are crap, and that they have had a lot of complaints about this over the last year or so.

Hopefully their will be some kind of recall on the battery in the near future. Basically what the Tec rep said is that, with the multiple computers and all the electrical crap in the car, the stock battery is not up for what it is needed for. I think its kind of ridiculous that in a lot of modern high end cars like Lexus, BMW, ect, come with crappy wet cell batteries. This is very old technology in comparison to modern Lithium Ion batteries, or even dry cell batteries like Optima's. It really comes down to saving a few dollars when ever they can, if it only cost the car companies $20 for a wet cell battery apposed to a $50 dry cell then they are going to go with the cheaper of the two.

But what ever, the car is still really nice and I am not complaining, well not very much. The only thing that pissed me off is that the car had a lot of problems after the car was jump started, but they are suppose to happen, see link. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=347993

Quick Reply: Dead battery