IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 nav hack question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-08, 06:18 AM
VTLexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 nav hack question

Before I get the "search the forum" replies, I want to say i have already read most of this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=2008+08

I just bought my IS 3 months ago, it is a 2008 (the post above was done on an 06 or 07), so I have some questions:

1) anyone done the manual hack on a 2008 IS350? any comments?
2) is there a consensus on whether the nav unit is delayed, lacks accuracy, or has any other issues?
3) does the nav unit work as good as before the mod?
4) can the address be entered while moving? i read some posts saying this still can't be done on the 08 with the manual hack.
5) has anyone undone the manual hack? it cant be done with a little soldering and probably extra wire
6) has anyone considered building their own connector to put b/w the connector pictured in the thread above and do a manual bypass of the wires? this would allow undoing the hack
Old 03-23-08, 10:08 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajunanka
Before I get the "search the forum" replies, I want to say i have already read most of this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=2008+08

I just bought my IS 3 months ago, it is a 2008 (the post above was done on an 06 or 07), so I have some questions:

2) is there a consensus on whether the nav unit is delayed, lacks accuracy, or has any other issues?
4) can the address be entered while moving? i read some posts saying this still can't be done on the 08 with the manual hack.
5) has anyone undone the manual hack? it cant be done with a little soldering and probably extra wire
6) has anyone considered building their own connector to put b/w the connector pictured in the thread above and do a manual bypass of the wires? this would allow undoing the hack
1. I have not, but it should be EXACTLY the same.
2. Consensus is that nothing changes.
3. Yes, it works exactly the same as before.
4. You will have to do the switch mod, just like with 07.
5. I don't know.
6. Not as far as I know.
Old 03-23-08, 10:44 AM
VTLexus
Driver

can you elaborate on the switch mod? not familiar with that
Old 03-23-08, 11:45 AM
CrazyIS
Rookie

This interests me as well. I have done the nav hack and it works great, but my software is what came with the 06 model. Which allows me to do the override so I can impute the address while moving. Which is very helpful.

If I upgrade to the newer version of the software will I still be able to do the override? Has anyone figured out how to do an override on the new version of the software?
Old 03-23-08, 02:14 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Do a search for the "nav hack kit". This is an override module that you can 'un-do' if you desire. Cost is about $380 delivered plus installation.
Old 03-23-08, 03:24 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cali2is
Cost is about $380 delivered plus installation.
You mean dealer will do it for us?? and will it void the NAV warranty?
Old 03-23-08, 03:32 PM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
You mean dealer will do it for us?? and will it void the NAV warranty?

Dealer will not do, and it will void warranty if caught.
Old 03-23-08, 03:44 PM
VTLexus
Driver

anyone done the manual nav hack on the 2008 series?
Old 03-23-08, 04:45 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its all the same! there are no changes to the 08 model.

Yes some dealers will offer this to you, Mine did when i first picked up the car but didnt know what they where talking about. Honestly thought they meant the DVD in motion. After one week of having the car i called them on how restricted the navi was and they explained what they could do this hack and a switch for the DVD. Not going to say all dealers will offer this service. Never hurts to ask if you are not up for doing this yourself.
Old 03-23-08, 04:48 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

By the way the Lexus dealer wanted 100$ to do the same thing on here that will cost you all of 20$ and your time. For the 100$ its not a bad deal as you let them worry about it and go do your thing. I enjoyed doing it and hesitated as many others did at first! Its really an easy DIY job!

Good Luck!
Old 03-23-08, 05:24 PM
VTLexus
Driver

your dealerships actually did the nav hack for you? thats crazy...did it require some hastling or were they more than willing? btw, where are you guys located that the dealer did the hack? any happen to be in the DC area?
Old 03-23-08, 09:59 PM
chb402
Driver

getting the nav hack kit was the best solution for me...

the money traded easy setup...
Old 03-24-08, 06:01 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

your dealerships actually did the nav hack for you? thats crazy...did it require some hastling or were they more than willing? btw, where are you guys located that the dealer did the hack? any happen to be in the DC area?
NO! They offered though! I installed it myself using the info on CL But yes they asked me when i got the car if i was interested. They had a Demo a MGR was driving that they showed me the movie while in motion. I thought that was all it was for and for the 100$ i figured i could do it myself. I didnt realize it was for the navi & dvd....so Yes some dealers will offer this! Its money to them!
Old 03-24-08, 06:24 AM
mikewads
Rookie

I have a 2008 IS350 and performed the manual hack. No problems to report. I really just wanted to play DVDs while in motion, so I did not install the switch.
Old 03-24-08, 07:28 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikewads
I have a 2008 IS350 and performed the manual hack. No problems to report. I really just wanted to play DVDs while in motion, so I did not install the switch.

What switch are you talking about?

So the manual hack unlocks the phone, maps, and DVD movies while driving?

Quick Reply: 2008 nav hack question