IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Getting tinted this week....question about brands

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 02:08 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DO NOT GO TO SUNSHIELD!!!! they tinted my brothers car and all this dust and stuff was trapped between the tint and glass. please! i had it redone, an awesome job, at tintmastercity on canoga. view their website www.tintmastercity.com they have done the most perfect job of tinting i have seen. my car took 6 hours and i only paid 150. they do many IS' and even an IS-F already
Old 03-19-08, 02:11 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

this is my car in the background before i had any mods.

Old 03-21-08, 03:02 AM
iLoveMyIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_NIICE
DO NOT GO TO SUNSHIELD!!!! they tinted my brothers car and all this dust and stuff was trapped between the tint and glass. please! i had it redone, an awesome job, at tintmastercity on canoga. view their website www.tintmastercity.com they have done the most perfect job of tinting i have seen. my car took 6 hours and i only paid 150. they do many IS' and even an IS-F already

Hmm, $150 for what brand tint?

edit: and what percentage on your car? Looks good.

Last edited by iLoveMyIS; 03-21-08 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-22-08, 03:23 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Originally Posted by iLoveMyIS
Hmm, $150 for what brand tint?

edit: and what percentage on your car? Looks good.
15% 3M tint. you can choose what brand you would like.
Old 03-22-08, 09:16 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by triple_c
if you don't mind a not-so-dark tint, and want really good heat rejection, go for huper optik. their tint is pretty light, but huper optik only lets certain tinters use their film, so you can be sure of their quality. its also pretty expensive, around the $400 range. but i've heard the heat rejection is unbelievably good.
tis the reason why i'm getting it ^^
Old 03-22-08, 11:24 AM
el3ctone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dojoman
Since you're in CA you might want to consider V-Kool for fronts since Suntek or other metallic tint don't have 70% vlt or higher. VLT = visible light transmittance. The higher the percentage the less darker the tint. I see a lot of idiots driving around in CA with very dark 30% or less for front windows and not expect to get pulled over.
u will get pulled over if u have ANY tint on your window, if the cop pulls out his light meter your tint in addition to the factory glass which is already at 70%, will read lower than 70.
Old 03-22-08, 11:32 AM
elmerrox
Pole Position

i just got Formula One Pinnacle 15 series, i like it.
Attached Thumbnails Getting tinted this week....question about brands-32008-2.jpg  
Old 03-22-08, 11:33 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by el3ctone
u will get pulled over if u have ANY tint on your window, if the cop pulls out his light meter your tint in addition to the factory glass which is already at 70%, will read lower than 70.
Its useless to even the front windows but people do it regardless unless its pretty much 100% clear. Im sure all tint plaeces will tell you its illegal to tint the front two windows but will it do it anyways. Since i got the nav system i think i will go with Ceramic to be safe. 399 for the whole car(except windshield)

I personally will get 35% Front/15% or 20% Rears but i think Formula pinnacle 1 only has 15%
I was thinking of getting the windshield done in a 60% as well.
Old 03-22-08, 08:22 PM
hhnyc
Driver School Candidate

Just tinted 2 days ago, 35% all around Llumar ATX (Axcess):

Old 03-23-08, 12:19 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I've got the 3M black chrome, and heard somewhat of the opposite.

I believe that the tint is actually a little thicker tint than most, which means that it takes a little more work to shape it to the window....especially given the ultra curved front window that the 2IS has.
agreed about the curve in the window.. it does make it a challenge to mold. I guess it is just my experience with 3M CS tint, 50%.
Old 03-23-08, 05:41 AM
VTLexus
Driver

i got my IS tinted about 2 months ago and i had my previous car tinted. if you are tinting soley for looks and the subtle gains, either of the brands you mentioned will be fine. if you are going for the highest heat reduction, go with a ceramic - but it's not going to keep your car cool as if you stored it in a garage, and you will be paying at least twice as much for the ceramic films.

people say go with ceramic to be extra safe for your nav and i think thats just a gimmic for tint shops to get more money. as long as the film is not a 100% dye or 100% metallic (the first is just cheap, the second could potentially interfere, but i don't believe it), you will be fine. most films these days are some sort of hybrid films.

ask the shop if they gaurentee the film won't turn purple and that they will remove any bubbles should they occur. ive never seen a shop that doesnt gaurentee both..and if they do, you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by iLoveMyIS
Hey, so I'll finally be getting tint on my car!

The place I'll be going to, Sun Shield Window Tints (Sherman Oaks, CA), carries multiple brands, but two they recommended:

3M Color Stable
Llumar ATR

Knowing nothing about tint, I don't know what brand is best to go with.
Any suggestions?

edit: those two were suggested based on the fact that I had Navi in my car.