IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Calling All Radar Detectors in VA

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08, 06:56 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you got caught doing that in VA, you would have gotten hit with their "fee" of like $2250, in addition to all the other consequences of reckless driving.
Old 03-15-08, 07:01 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes rx
If you got caught doing that in VA, you would have gotten hit with their "fee" of like $2250, in addition to all the other consequences of reckless driving.
Yea this was befor they made that new rule. Thank God it wasnt in VA alone o i wouldve been taken to jail for speeding like that.
Old 03-15-08, 07:07 PM
AB_
Driver School Candidate

I'm in Fairfax County.. Last night I just got cuffed and searched (along with my is250) by cops. I don't deal with drugs or anything of that sort, and thats what they were looking for. After that, I just wouldn't feel right with a radar and getting in trouble.
Old 03-15-08, 07:22 PM
SikTT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikes rx
^^ Exactamundo.

Although, technically/legally, I think it can be visible, but must be outside your reach (and, obviously, not in use).
I thought so too, but a couple years ago with a friend of mine we were actually put in that situation. We were stopped around Emporia.. *reminder for all my VA ppl, NEVER SPEED IN THIS AREA* This is the number one source of income for the county and city. It is true, seriously, they live to pull ppl over, especially since the speed limit drops coming from NC into VA.

Anyway back to the story, we were pulled over and the State Trooper saw my friends Radar in the backseat and said, Sir, you are not allowed to have that detector. I could fine you for having your speed dectector out. We said but officer it is in the backseat and we had it off by the time we hit the border. He said but it is in sight. Next time, just put it in the glove box.

I agree with you though. We may have been a "special" case with the car we were stopped in(94 APU Supra). I think it depends on WHERE in VA you get pulled over. Also depends if the trooper wants to hassle you about it as well.
Old 03-15-08, 07:30 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SikTT
I thought so too, but a couple years ago with a friend of mine we were actually put in that situation. We were stopped around Emporia.. *reminder for all my VA ppl, NEVER SPEED IN THIS AREA* This is the number one source of income for the county and city. It is true, seriously, they live to pull ppl over, especially since the speed limit drops coming from NC into VA.

Anyway back to the story, we were pulled over and the State Trooper saw my friends Radar in the backseat and said, Sir, you are not allowed to have that detector. I could fine you for having your speed dectector out. We said but officer it is in the backseat and we had it off by the time we hit the border. He said but it is in sight. Next time, just put it in the glove box.

I agree with you though. We may have been a "special" case with the car we were stopped in(94 APU Supra). I think it depends on WHERE in VA you get pulled over. Also depends if the trooper wants to hassle you about it as well.
Yeah....I know Emporia EXTREMELY well. I drive Rte 58 from Emporia to Hampton Roads almost every weekend, doing the commute from NC. It's always the same thing: either no cop cars, or about 5 cop cars.

For those that don't know the area: b/w Emporia and Hampton Roads, you can go no more than 5 mph over the speed limit without getting a ticket (which, luckily, they bumped the limit from 55 to 60 about a year ago).

And, b/w South Hill (I-85) and Emporia (i-95) on rte 58, you can only go about 3 mph over the speed limit (only 55 mph) without getting a ticket.

It really sucks when you get off the 70 mph limit on I-85 or I-95.

But, back to the topic. Just don't speed excessively in VA. It sucks to hear that, but you just kind of adjust to it. Unfortunately, a lot of other people don't know this, and they pass you and stare at you like you're an idiot driver.

That is, of course, assuming that you're not stuck in tunnel/bridge traffic in Hampton Roads or DC traffic up in Nova.

Last edited by mikes rx; 03-15-08 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-15-08, 07:33 PM
SikTT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
Damn. I am in FF county LOL. Ijust hate VA, it sucks bad. i would rahther be in in FL or CA.

But any ways, is you friend in VA that is geting the STI. If that thing is undetectable then i might think about it/ But damn i dont know what to do now. i was actually saving mony for i now i dont know. LOL it was either the detector or an exhaust. i thought the detector was alot better.

In June i was caught speeding in MAryland. i was going 100 in 55 and the cop pulled me and Technique over. We both got $500 tickets. I guess he let me slide since he saw my graduatio tassle LOL. No pont shaven jsut pay ticket and take a diving class.

This is why i thought about this.

LMAO... were you in a hurry?

Also on a side note, I absolutely HATE with a passion FF county police. They **** me off so damn much. And the traffic courts there are complete BS. I never saw a traffic court so damn busy and making so much money than this damn one.

I have a hard time keeping my foot off the gas. My damn E92, is going to get me into so much trouble, but eventually I might go back to a radar detector. I am also waiting to actually see the STI setup in action.

Man you know if you had that in ticket in VA, your a$$ would be... well about as sore as Bubba's little cousin in cell block D.

Anyway here is a VIDEO of the STI against the new Spectre. He does a lot of research and is on some radar forum and got this info from them. It seems like a nice product, especially if you do the research on it. I hear it is worth the money. I will know by April time frame cause that is right before he goes RennTech on his E55
Old 03-15-08, 08:01 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I've had the Bell STi for well over 10 years and not once have I had a ticket and I've driven in VA & DC quite a bit and usually I forget that I have my RD turned on and mounted on my windshield just below my rear view mirror.

Now I'm planning to install the Bel STi-R into my rear view mirror for a clean stealth install.

I like and trust Bel! Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Old 03-15-08, 08:49 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RX469
I've had the Bell STi for well over 10 years and not once have I had a ticket and I've driven in VA & DC quite a bit and usually I forget that I have my RD turned on and mounted on my windshield just below my rear view mirror.

Now I'm planning to install the Bel STi-R into my rear view mirror for a clean stealth install.

I like and trust Bel! Let me know if you have anymore questions.
WEll yea if i had hat ticket in VA i wouleve been in jail for a night LOL. But thank god my Tassle was there.

But yea RX469, i really want the detector but the thing is i want to hide it behind m Visor tint, so its not visible from outside. And i dont know if the tint will cause problems to the detector asin detecting cops.

Thats the main thing. I migh go monday and get my visor tint installed. And yea also Tint % will also be a problem. Obviosly if i get 5% tint for the visor, it will affect the RD.

Dont know. Still hesitant about the RD for now. If i dont get the RD then HELLO GREDDY SP2!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-08, 10:07 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

i like to get a radar detector but only for road trips. The FF county cops are out to make commissions.

Bigr.... Even if you put the tint at the top and try to cover your, they can still see it from the side and they drive by you. If you got stop and try to take it off, then they think you're hiding something and you'll be even in worse trouble. VA is like the communist of the US.
Old 03-16-08, 08:16 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by AB_
I'm in Fairfax County.. Last night I just got cuffed and searched (along with my is250) by cops. I don't deal with drugs or anything of that sort, and thats what they were looking for. After that, I just wouldn't feel right with a radar and getting in trouble.
A friend of mine had a bad experience with the Fairfax county cops a few years back. He was at a bar in Centreville, and wound up getting pretty drunk. Rather than get behind the wheel of his car, he tried to do the responsible thing and walk the mile or so back to his apartment. A Fairfax County cop picked him up while he was walking. Rather than compliment him on his good judgment and perhaps offer him a ride home, they brought him down to the station for "public drunkenness", and held him in a cell until he could see a judge in the morning.
Old 03-16-08, 09:01 AM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SikTT
And for the guy that said to turn your system off, that doesn't mean anything in VA. If you turn it off, you better hide that damn thing as well. Cause in VA, just having the detector in your car, even switched off, they are allowed to fine you for it and or confiscate the radar.
Sorry, I should have been more clear, I was suggesting that if you were to go the laser jamming route, you should turn it off immediately after the jam and your quick brake i.e. 2 seconds or so... you may want to do some research on this to see if laser jamming is illegal in VA, it is not here in OR but is in CA and a few other states.
Old 03-16-08, 09:05 AM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by inxexisten
you wouldnt want ca traffic laws haha
I really miss the CA law that states if it not a fwy, residential, or school zone a speed survey has to be done every five years or the ticket can be thrown out.
Old 03-16-08, 09:17 AM
Namir
Lead Lap

The tint strip at the top will reduce the efficacy of the radar detector if you mount it behind it.
Old 03-16-08, 09:05 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
WEll yea if i had hat ticket in VA i wouleve been in jail for a night LOL. But thank god my Tassle was there.

But yea RX469, i really want the detector but the thing is i want to hide it behind m Visor tint, so its not visible from outside. And i dont know if the tint will cause problems to the detector asin detecting cops.

Thats the main thing. I migh go monday and get my visor tint installed. And yea also Tint % will also be a problem. Obviosly if i get 5% tint for the visor, it will affect the RD.

Dont know. Still hesitant about the RD for now. If i dont get the RD then HELLO GREDDY SP2!!!!!!!!
The custom job i'm doing is to professionally integrate the detector into the rear view mirror so that it looks stock and as far as the tint goes, I usually make a clean cut out to not obstruct it's range with a template I've created. It all works great.
Old 03-17-08, 11:16 AM
Namir
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX469
The custom job i'm doing is to professionally integrate the detector into the rear view mirror so that it looks stock and as far as the tint goes, I usually make a clean cut out to not obstruct it's range with a template I've created. It all works great.
check out this Rear view mirror with integrated V1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJa1g3bBSXw

Quick Reply: Calling All Radar Detectors in VA