IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do All Lexus' require as much shop time as mine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-08, 09:40 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

bought my car and had it serviced several times @ lexus santa monica. everytime i've been there they have treated me with no less than top-notch customer service - except once, but that was because they made me wait longer than i wanted, but i digress...

if you're taking in your car for so many issues, it's probably YOUR car. i have not had any issues w/ my car since day one, and i have an '06, mind you.

(that first year iteration theory, that the first year iteration of a vehicle will have more problems than future iterations? totally debunked by this car.)
Old 03-13-08, 09:51 PM
shinbrianj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive had to go to the dealership to fix many of the same problems, but this is NO WHERE NEAR how many times i went in to get my E46 fixed so im happy
Old 03-13-08, 10:21 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

i've been in the shop many times including the following:

1) dashboard rattle within dash toward engine
2) door rattle/squeak right below window
3) tire pressure light (initialization doesnt work right)
4) tire pressure light again (this time ECU punched out weird codes)
5) ECU lockup + check system light
6) check system light again! (ECU punched out weird codes again)
7) sport mode shifter sticks and doesnt move smoothly
8) once for a blown tire
9) and also some maitenance which is normal

and now i have a 3rd rattle which is even MORE annoying than the first two and a rattle at my rear window which i'll be going in to those fixed too but i really don't feel like calling them 12th-13th time within the course of 8 months of owning the car.

though i can't complain as the only thing that i had to pay for were maitenence (which i really should do myself) and the new tire and each time i go in i'm greeted with excellent service.

so i guess you're in the same boat as me. if you're lucky you can try to go through the whole lemon law thing (though i doubt the law would apply to you as none of these are exactly safety or unaddressed mechanical issues under TSIB/warranty). but you can always try. best of luck
Old 03-13-08, 10:21 PM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jay M
The brakes just wear out too fast.
How many miles do most of you get on your IS350 brakes? Remember, they are different than the 250.

The rear brake pads were replaced under warranty because they were squealing after only a few thousand miles. The dealer suggested that it was because they are "performance" brakes. I reminded him that Corvette, Porsche, Ferrari, and the like all have performance brakes that don't squeal. I asked where in the brochure it says that this $40,000 Lexus has brakes that are designed to squeal. Rather than argue they just agreed to replace that pads with a stern reminder that it was only a favor. Fortunately the squealing went away after that.
~Jay
I have almost 32k, and replaced my pads at 5k under the TSB. So that means that I have traveled 27k with my pads including five hard 60mph+ autocross runs all with no problems. And, even when I do have an issue this car allows for easy replacement https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=276736 Maybe its your style of driving?
Old 03-13-08, 10:32 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

on a side note, don't argue w/ the service reps. in my experience, i've found it more useful to NOT argue or debate with them. even if you don't agree or like what they say, just let them know politely that you don't agree/like what they say. make it short and simple; don't get complicated by presenting a thesis based on your findings on clublexus and your friends' hearsay and whatever else you know/don't know.

if you end up in a pissing contest w/ the service rep, you'll have done nothing but given him/her a poor impression of you.

pat their back, and they'll pat your back.

btw, i had my brake TSB done @ 10k. 17k later, they're still fine and not in need of change.
Old 03-13-08, 11:08 PM
Jay M
Rookie

Just what exactly is TSB?

It's kind of hard not to argue when your new $40,000 car has mirrors that look like they came off of a kids Tuff Stuff toy car.

My driving style is greatly affected by rude, perhaps blind Valencia drivers (but it's not always their fault, sometimes they are on the cell phone). Apparently in Valencia the person making a right turn on red has the right of way, the person going straight who has a green light does not! Sometimes I forget that and have to stand on the brakes so they can safely make their right turn on red.

A friend of mine had a left turn green arrow, a woman in an SUV on the opposite side of the intersection had a red light, she proceeded to make her turn and smashed right into the side of his car! What or where was she looking if she didn't see what was right there in front of her?!

That said, the brakes in my Maxima lasted MUCH longer, and they were significantly smaller, and car weighs about the same. My driving style hasn't changed that much.

Sorry for the Ford comment... that's the Chevy person in me coming out Besides, I'm sure Ford knows how to make a good solid parking brake.

~Jay
Old 03-13-08, 11:43 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

600 miles and no problems. The front wheels get a little dusty, but I knocked that off with the car wash's self-serve wheel cleaner and power rinse. Did not need the 1-month/1,000 mile Lexus Personalized Settings, since I did the self-fixes for (a) no seatbelt beeping (b-off) and (b) grab door handle and unlock all four doors. Gas mileage is improving.

I did hear a faint noise from the engine compartment for a few seconds after shutting off the engine 2 days ago. I wonder what that was?

TSB=Technical Service Bulletin. Those are manufacturer fixes for common complaints. Depending on the thread, aka TSIB.
Old 03-14-08, 07:40 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

JayM:

You are right to be dissatisfied, but as another poster has said, don't flame the service rep or get into a pissing contest with them - take the high road. Remind them that Lexus is supposed to be the ultimate quality vehicle and ultimate customer service experience. You are unhappy with the following issues with your car which you can not accept as "normal" (give them the list). Ask them to fix them under warranty and let them know you will return the loaner car when they are fixed ()

It usually helps to play the car salesman with your service rep (pretend to be their friend, praise the service and the dealership, etc, etc,) and get what you want.
Old 03-14-08, 07:48 AM
maxnix
Driver

Originally Posted by Jay M
Just what exactly is TSB?
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

Periodic publications to authorized shops to update the FSM.
Old 03-14-08, 08:10 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
on a side note, don't argue w/ the service reps. in my experience, i've found it more useful to NOT argue or debate with them. even if you don't agree or like what they say, just let them know politely that you don't agree/like what they say. make it short and simple; don't get complicated by presenting a thesis based on your findings on clublexus and your friends' hearsay and whatever else you know/don't know.

if you end up in a pissing contest w/ the service rep, you'll have done nothing but given him/her a poor impression of you.

pat their back, and they'll pat your back.

btw, i had my brake TSB done @ 10k. 17k later, they're still fine and not in need of change.
Very very true, you always attract more bees with honey.
Old 03-14-08, 08:11 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I've only been to the dealer for oil changes and rear view mirror TSB
Old 03-14-08, 08:44 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you should go to another dealer........
Old 03-14-08, 09:46 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kickin8
I think you should go to another dealer........
if he's burned his bridges there, that's definitely recommended.
Old 03-15-08, 10:18 PM
Jay M
Rookie

As I stated earlier in this thread, I have been going to a different dealer for service. They have done all they can to keep me happy. But the point of this thread was to find out if it's normal for a Lexus to require so much shop time. From this thread alone it seems like brakes and mirrors, and dash rattles are a common defect. A lame parking brake also appears to be common on this forum.

Maybe what makes mine a lemon is the squeaky rear window and door trim falling apart.

I wasn't out to critique the Lexus service centers, I just wish I didn't have to see them so often.

~Jay
Old 03-15-08, 10:36 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

i've seen my service dept 4 or 5 times but still haven't bring it in for engine noise and a loud rattle in the rear window.

Quick Reply: Do All Lexus' require as much shop time as mine?