IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Non-Nav to Nav Conversion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-06, 03:25 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islandsnow
but he said it costs $53K to ship the car! let alone the cost of the car itself
I don’t think that’s what he meant. Do you really think it costs $53,000 just to ship one car from California to Hawaii? He must mean the total cost.
Old 10-04-06, 03:27 PM
islandsnow
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
I don’t think that’s what he meant. Do you really think it costs $53,000 just to ship one car from California to Hawaii? He must mean the total cost.
yes i knew what he meant. i was just joking... didn't my smiley come out with the tongue sticking out?
Old 10-04-06, 03:45 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

You need:

OEM Navigation head unit
OEM dashboard
ML unit WITH DVD changer
Bluetooth antenna
New steering wheel
Microphone for integrated bluetooth
Backup camera
All necessary wiring and harnesses, etc...

And that's just the parts. You would have to completely tear into your interior to do all the wiring, and then hope it all works. I wish it was plug and play, because I would have done it already - but this is far from it.

Javier
Old 10-04-06, 04:23 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islandsnow
yes i knew what he meant. i was just joking... didn't my smiley come out with the tongue sticking out?
It's hard for me to read your humor. I need more smilies.
Old 10-04-06, 04:46 PM
The Chad
Driver

It's really disappointing that Bluetooth isn't a standalone option or integrated different than directly through the DVD Navigation unit, specifically for this reason.

Is iDrive available on the BMWs sold on the islands?

If you really want factory integration, I'd just order a car from Cali and have it shipped. I agree that ordering all the parts and having someone do it is going to cost almost as much, if not more, and not factory warranted like it would be if ordered as such.

I'd pay that price to live in Hawaii though
Old 10-04-06, 06:35 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

ordering the IS from California is way out of the question. I rather buy a M3 or the GS with that money. Anyways, thanks for all your help guys. If anything does come up, ill keep you guys posted.
Old 10-04-06, 06:36 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by javyLSU
You need:

OEM Navigation head unit
OEM dashboard
ML unit WITH DVD changer
Bluetooth antenna
New steering wheel
Microphone for integrated bluetooth
Backup camera
All necessary wiring and harnesses, etc...

And that's just the parts. You would have to completely tear into your interior to do all the wiring, and then hope it all works. I wish it was plug and play, because I would have done it already - but this is far from it.

Javier
wait, why would i need a new dashboard and a new steering wheel?
Old 10-04-06, 07:00 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Do you REALLY need a NAV on that tiny island? How can it be possible to get lost? j/k..... Why don't you just special order it? Can't you do that?
Old 10-04-06, 10:44 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kschawaii
wait, why would i need a new dashboard and a new steering wheel?
In looking at the service manuals, I discovered that many of the harnesses (for the navigation antenna, for instance) are actually built in to the dashboard. Also, as far as the steering wheel goes, you have two options: 1) You can order the "Steering pad switch assembly," and completely disassemble your steering wheel (watch out for that airbag!) and replace the steering wheel controls that interact with the navigation unit, or 2) you can order a new steering wheel for navigation-equipped cars. I hope you can see what a project this would be. More like brain surgery...

Javier
Old 10-04-06, 11:05 PM
caseyb83
Driver

yeah, it would be really complicated, when i went to purchase my 250 about 2 weeks ago, i asked if there was any way they could equip a non-nav IS with nav later and the salesman told me no way, no how, so i just went ahead and got the nav, but sorry about your situation, to bad there isnt a ferry that could take the car from cali to hawaii, good luck bro
Old 10-05-06, 10:28 AM
rsx2is350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISyouinyet
yeah, it would be really complicated, when i went to purchase my 250 about 2 weeks ago, i asked if there was any way they could equip a non-nav IS with nav later and the salesman told me no way, no how, so i just went ahead and got the nav, but sorry about your situation, to bad there isnt a ferry that could take the car from cali to hawaii, good luck bro

I'm sure your salesman said that to sell you a navi equiped car. However the conversion is possible but not worth the money. You're better off installing a touch screen after market navi from Pioneer or Alpine.
Old 10-05-06, 10:37 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rsx2is350
I'm sure your salesman said that to sell you a navi equiped car. However the conversion is possible but not worth the money.
That's like saying you can upgrade a 250 to a 350. I mean anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.
Old 10-05-06, 11:57 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I gave up. I did research on replacing my non navi unit with oem navigation. It looks possible but i'd rather trade my car in with navi+sport package and probably cost the same.
Old 10-05-06, 11:59 AM
kschawaii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pimp350
Do you REALLY need a NAV on that tiny island? How can it be possible to get lost? j/k..... Why don't you just special order it? Can't you do that?
yeah, im special ordering my car but hawaii has different packages than the rest of the country. (try looking on lexus.com and try build a car for hawaii) They said hawaii cant get the Navi option PERIOD.
Old 10-05-06, 12:00 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

i got another question now but i think ill just make a new thread... hahahaha

Quick Reply: Non-Nav to Nav Conversion (merged threads)