IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question about Nav update for 07'-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 02:21 PM
SC400_408
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Nav update for 07'-up

I just called to make a appt. for my girl's car to get service. And was asking them if there is nav updates. They told me yeah there is, and its going to cost me $350. WTF? I would think this is cover under warranty, no? What exactly does lexus cover for her car? Its a 07' 350. Thats a big shame, you have to pay for oil change too.
Old 03-11-08, 02:33 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400_408
I just called to make a appt. for my girl's car to get service. And was asking them if there is nav updates. They told me yeah there is, and its going to cost me $350. WTF? I would think this is cover under warranty, no? What exactly does lexus cover for her car? Its a 07' 350. Thats a big shame, you have to pay for oil change too.
Well like just about ANY warranty, you are covered if something breaks. NAV updates are not covered. Its COMPLETELY up to you to update it...Its software. Should Microsoft or Apple not charge when they develop a new version of Windows or Mc OSX? Its the standard. Be happy there RAE updates...People who bought Porsches in 2000 with factory NAV, NEVER got one update, and now they are no longer supported. How is that? Spend THOUSANDS for a Nav system, and its got old maps, streets that are not there, new freeways not there, and all data is 9 years old. The Nav company says we will NEVER update that data....Oil changes...again...normal upkeep. Just because Audi & BMW dont charge for it because they are trying to sell cars doesnt mean everyone doesnt. GM has a LIFETIME warranty on some cars...lol...I mean an oil change is like $50-75 bucks either at an GOOD oil change place or a Toyota dealer....You dont HAVE to take it to Lexus. Is funny, while I think the customer service is WONDERFUL, I think it also spoils people...they EXPECT things that are not covered by ANYONE else....
Old 03-11-08, 02:35 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

The Nav updates are not under warranty. Why would they be? It's not like the system is defective without the updated maps. Anyways, you can get it a lot cheaper at lexus-parts.com http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_detail.asp?id=90143

I don't know of any car dealership that gives you free oil changes for life. My first one (5K miles) was free, but that's it.

As far as what is covered by her warranty... you might start here: http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/warranty/index.html
Old 03-11-08, 02:38 PM
SC400_408
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
Well like just about ANY warranty, you are covered if something breaks. NAV updates are not covered. Its COMPLETELY up to you to update it...Its software. Should Microsoft or Apple not charge when they develop a new version of Windows or Mc OSX? Its the standard. Be happy there RAE updates...People who bought Porsches in 2000 with factory NAV, NEVER got one update, and now they are no longer supported. How is that? Spend THOUSANDS for a Nav system, and its got old maps, streets that are not there, new freeways not there, and all data is 9 years old. The Nav company says we will NEVER update that data....Oil changes...again...normal upkeep. Just because Audi & BMW dont charge for it because they are trying to sell cars doesnt mean everyone doesnt. GM has a LIFETIME warranty on some cars...lol...I mean an oil change is like $50-75 bucks either at an GOOD oil change place or a Toyota dealer....You dont HAVE to take it to Lexus. Is funny, while I think the customer service is WONDERFUL, I think it also spoils people...they EXPECT things that are not covered by ANYONE else....
I totally understand how warranty runs, guess coming from a guy who has a bmw now I see the service a bit differently. I would just thought Nav. updates would be something they do as a courtesy. Oh well, now got to tell my girl to fork out the money. Ahahhaha! Oh by the way where can I look up her vin# to see if there is any TSIB for her car. She has no idea if theres any recalls on her car!

Oh yeah, any benefits for the new nav updates? Her car was bought about mid 07'. Thanks!
Old 03-11-08, 02:42 PM
SC400_408
Lead Lap

Thanks buds!
Old 03-11-08, 02:45 PM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

I totally understand how warranty runs, guess coming from a guy who has a bmw now I see the service a bit differently. I would just thought Nav. updates would be something they do as a courtesy. Oh well, now got to tell my girl to fork out the money. Ahahhaha! Oh by the way where can I look up her vin# to see if there is any TSIB for her car. She has no idea if theres any recalls on her car!

Oh yeah, any benefits for the new nav updates? Her car was bought about mid 07'. Thanks!
You usually don't need Nav updates every year unless you drive to new places a lot and are willing to fork out at least $200 for it. The update really is just a DVD so I'd recommend buying the new DVD once every 4-5 years.
Old 03-11-08, 03:29 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, NAV updates are new roads and new POI information, new stores, restaurants etc...if she is doing ok now...why bother? Its one year old data, not 10....now if you live in a place that is building really fast (are there places like that anymore?) then maybe its worth it...but if she is not complaining, dont bother.