IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Parking brakes don't hold

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 08:24 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking brakes don't hold

I have only 5600 miles on my 07 IS350. The parking brakes doesn't hold the car on a hill. I have to use the transmission (P) to hold the car. Anyone here with the same issue?

Does anyone know if it can be adjusted without removing the rotor and caliper? I have an old fashion drum brakes, spoon. Wonder if it will work.

Last edited by Dj_AmtraX; 03-05-08 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-05-08, 08:29 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you parked? or did you stop at a red light? If you park, you suppose to put it in P and the parking brakes.
Old 03-05-08, 08:32 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

do you not regularly put the car in P to hold the car????? :/
Old 03-05-08, 08:39 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I have only 5600 miles on my 07 IS350. The parking breaks doesn't hold the car on a hill. I have to use the transmission (P) to hold the car. Anyone here with the same issue?

Does anyone know if it can be adjusted without removing the rotor and caliber? I have an old fashion drum breaks, spoon. Wonder if it will work.
FYI... it's spelled BRAKES and CALIPER.
Old 03-05-08, 08:49 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

hahaha... sorry. I need to proof read in the future. Thanks!

I like to put the car into neutral then press the foot parking brake and wait till the car settle on the brakes prior to putting the transmission into (P) park. This method allow the brakes to hold the car not transmission.

Ever noticed when you just put it into (P) park and then the parking brakes, when you release the (P) it make a clunk sound? This is due to the transmission holding the car.
Old 03-05-08, 09:37 PM
met350
Driver School Candidate

yea rear brakes have very small adjustment they have really small shoes inside the rear rotors but there should be a rubber plug look for the star wheel and adjust it
Old 03-05-08, 09:47 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

he is right first on last off... parking brake then park and shift to drive then put it off....but that does not happen to me
Old 03-06-08, 07:34 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is best to engage the parking brake on a hill first and then place the AT in P in order to reduce wear on the tranny. Over time, using the tranny alone to hold the car will cause premature wear. Also, if you never engage the parking brake, it will lock up and the springs will cease (over time). Typically, in the position to not lock the rear wheel.
Old 03-06-08, 08:49 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by met350
yea rear brakes have very small adjustment they have really small shoes inside the rear rotors but there should be a rubber plug look for the star wheel and adjust it
So there is a rubber cover on the back of the brake dust cover where the adjustment star is loacted? To adjsut, I just use the brake spoon just like any old drum brakes?
Old 03-06-08, 09:19 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Brian231
It is best to engage the parking brake on a hill first and then place the AT in P in order to reduce wear on the tranny. Over time, using the tranny alone to hold the car will cause premature wear. Also, if you never engage the parking brake, it will lock up and the springs will cease (over time). Typically, in the position to not lock the rear wheel.
I have always wondered what's the safest way to use a parking brake, so it's best to hit the parking brake before you put it in P?

What about releasing the parking brake? Is it best to release the parking brake first before putting it into drive, or is best to put it in drive mode then release the parking brake?
Old 03-06-08, 09:32 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

best to hit the parking brake before you put it in P
best to put it in drive mode then release the parking brake

This practice allow the brakes to hold the car. My problem is Lexus parking brakes are not strong so it lead me to adjust them.
Old 03-06-08, 09:39 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Yes,

I always park on an incline with AWD so all 4 axles are locked in park. The parking brake could be a little stronger IMO. Their should be an adjusting hole on the hub of the rotor. If not, just pop off the whole rotor (caliper as well) and adjust with the whole drum assembly exposed. It is very easy to do. Sometimes, you will have to give the hub a couple of hits with a hammer (being careful not to ding up rotor surface) in order to break through the potential corrosion.
Old 03-06-08, 12:10 PM
maz
Lead Lap

No need to put it in neutral. Here's my method:
Hold footbrake, with other foot engage parking brake, then put car into P, then release footbrake. When leaving, hold footbrake, release parking brake with other foot, then put car into gear. It's become second nature for me.
Old 03-06-08, 12:22 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by maz
No need to put it in neutral. Here's my method:
Hold footbrake, with other foot engage parking brake, then put car into P, then release footbrake. When leaving, hold footbrake, release parking brake with other foot, then put car into gear. It's become second nature for me.
EXACTLY how I have always done it! Second nature to me too, I think I have always done it like this with previous cars.
Old 03-06-08, 04:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
Yes,

I always park on an incline with AWD so all 4 axles are locked in park. The parking brake could be a little stronger IMO. Their should be an adjusting hole on the hub of the rotor. If not, just pop off the whole rotor (caliper as well) and adjust with the whole drum assembly exposed. It is very easy to do. Sometimes, you will have to give the hub a couple of hits with a hammer (being careful not to ding up rotor surface) in order to break through the potential corrosion.
No, you don't need to hit the rotor. There are two 8 x 1mm holes in the face of the rotor hat where you can screw in a bolt which will remove the rotor without damaging anything. Here's a pic of the front disc - the rear has the same holes.

Quick Reply: Parking brakes don't hold