IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 VS. Hyundai genesis

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 09:58 PM
chb402
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drive what you deserve then but don't be a pie*e of sh|t.

that is all you gotta do on your side and my side too.

Last edited by chb402; 03-02-08 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-02-08, 11:07 PM
yolnerd
Rookie

what sounds better? telling a female that you have a Brand new Hyundai. or telling a female you got a BRAND NEW LEXUS!
Old 03-02-08, 11:25 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

I tested all the cars in the IS price range that could be comparable, some cheaper and some more costly. The Genesis was the only car I wanted to try out but couldn't (well that and the redesigned TSX and convertible IS, if that ever happens). Finally, I could not wait another year or more. I am completely satisfied with my IS and I will be after the Genesis comes out. But if I like it, I will say, "There's a car I'd buy if they didn't make the IS."

The Superbowl commercial did nothing to bowl me over. Those pictures posted in this thread look nice. The OP's friend, and the OP for posting it, is way off base. Who is he to profess love for a car that no one's driven?

If you have to tell someone looking at your Genesis that it's as good as a Lexus, then it ain't, because it doesn't have the gravitas. That one Hyundai looked like a Jaguar, and they sold lots and lots, and it was a nice car, and it was another step in the ladder. Maybe this car will put them on par with Honda and Toyota, which would be a monumental achievement, but not Lexus, not with one car.

And when Lexus first came out, in the US they were never considered crap. They were on par with BMW and MB, but a few thousand cheaper, and with Toyota reliability. And if Lexus wants to continue it's favorable place in the American market, they would do well to keep to those principles.
Old 03-02-08, 11:31 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

When I see a Hyundai on the road, I don't think it's crap, because I have sat in a Sonata, Azera and 350GX. I think the drivers are thrifty, getting the most bang for their buck, regardless of the hood medallion. They're everywhere. And they are getting nicer to look at. It's a good enough car for the masses. It's only the enthusiasts that have a bad attitude about it. But you guys are funny, so keep the harsh comments coming.
Old 03-03-08, 12:10 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hyundai has come a long way..and has gotten much more reliable and dependable...actually in recent car owners survey they rated #3 in least amount of problems in first 90 days of ownership (right under toyota and honda)

They really dont make anything visually appealing to me....but the brand has improved its cars...

MB are crap poorly built P.O.S. they sell on brand alone...
BMW's are better but still not on par with Lexus as far as dependable and reliable..

Now Nissan/Infiniti is garbage ( and yes I owned one and was part of one of the biggest car clubs in the NY area) G35 coupe and sedan---nothing but a bunch of crappy issues and crap dealer service...uuggghhh NEVER again will I veer off of Toyota and Honda!
Honda just needs to cut the crap and make a fast car (that we all can 1/2 way afford- NSX wasnt it) ...I mean it took Lexus/Toyota a billion years to come with a little something in the IS by making the 350 and now finally a serious statement with the ISF ...Honda is still dilly dallying around with this S2000 thing---enough already!-- give us something that will 0-60 in like 5 sec flat and pull at least 13 flat on the 1/4!

I wouldn't buy a Hyundai though....nothing looks good to me...IMO...I wanna look back at it and say "yeah!" after i park it ya know
Old 03-03-08, 12:35 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
MB are crap poorly built P.O.S. they sell on brand alone...
Nice generalization

Sorry to inform you, but my E63 is the farthest thing from a "poorly built P.O.S."

As for the Genesis, it does look promising. But it won't be easy to convince consumers to cross-shop a Hyundai with a Lexus, MB or BMW. In any event, the Genesis is a good first step.
Old 03-03-08, 01:07 AM
thisisj0
Driver

"MB are crap poorly built P.O.S. they sell on brand alone...
BMW's are better but still not on par with Lexus as far as dependable and reliable.. "

50 percent true. MB's do not sell on brand name alone and i shouldnt have to explain that to you.

Your on par with your statement about BMW.

The fact of the matter is that Hyundai is playing a bold move entering the 2009 genesis to compete with High end luxury sports sedans. It allows them to enter a whole new playing field. But if i were nastrodamus i would say Hyundai is going to strike out in the long run. Thier build quality has and still is second to everything else that i see comming into my shop. These korean made automobiles are not designed with reliability nor engine accessibility in mind.
Compare any toyota to a hyundai and you will see what im talking about
Old 03-03-08, 01:10 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure why people are saying Lexus was not respected on the start. Lexus came out and hit a home run with their LS400. Everybody remembers the wine glass and rolling ball ads, and sales were spectacular. Even the ES250 sold way beyond expectations. The only people at the time that would snicker it's not a MB or BMW are old-timers whose opinions weren't really taken that seriously.

This is not the case with the Genesis. That car isn't breaking any new ground, and crowning it before it's even released is really short-sighted. It'll be interesting to see how many repeat buyers of the Genesis there will be after a few years. It's clear that the original LS400 got many to be Lexus customers for life.

In any case, comparing the Genesis and 250 is not that fair a comparison. One is being compared on an OTD price vs. base price, and the 40K plus for the 250 is indeed a rip off. 40K OTD for a IS250 won't stand up on its own merit as it is.

I'm usually not that brand-conscious, but Hyundai's decision not to rebrand the Genesis as a luxury smacks either of arrogance or cheapness. Like it or not, past history matters, and I can think of only a few companies in ANY industry that has done more self-brand damage like Hyundai did to itself in the 80's and 90's. For Hyundai to not rebrand it tells me that it's still the same Hyundai philosophy, just a bit evolved. Either that, or they were unwilling to make the financial commitment to tell the consumer that this is something different, unlike anything they've introduced before.

The LS400 simply would not have succeeded like it did if it came as the Toyota Celsior. The Lexus branding told people it has Toyota reliability but the luxury is something unlike anything they had before.
Old 03-03-08, 02:57 AM
moolman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yolnerd
what sounds better? telling a female that you have a Brand new Hyundai. or telling a female you got a BRAND NEW LEXUS!
If that's the only way you can impress a female, I suggest you buy a Lambo, cause your going to need it.
Old 03-03-08, 03:02 AM
moolman
Pole Position

[QUOTE=sirkfc;3326784I'm usually not that brand-conscious, but Hyundai's decision not to rebrand the Genesis as a luxury smacks either of arrogance or cheapness. Like it or not, past history matters, and I can think of only a few companies in ANY industry that has done more self-brand damage like Hyundai did to itself in the 80's and 90's. For Hyundai to not rebrand it tells me that it's still the same Hyundai philosophy, just a bit evolved. Either that, or they were unwilling to make the financial commitment to tell the consumer that this is something different, unlike anything they've introduced before.
[/QUOTE]

Why would Hyundai rebrand the Genesis as a luxury car? It's not because of arrogrance or cheapness, it's because they know and we know that even if they rebadge it, it's still made by Hyundai. Like I said, they are just going to pump out quality cars at good prices and eventually after many years people will start forgetting about the crap from the 80's and 90's. It would be actually be stupid for them to try to compete as a luxury brand at this moment or maybe even ever. The luxury car market is already full of plenty of cars. But if they make a luxury car without the price, it's a niche that nobody has.
Old 03-03-08, 03:21 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think all in all buy what your pocketbook can afford and if you are happy then its worth it... i myself will never drive a hyundi or a kia i just cant justify getting into one of thos blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 03-03-08, 04:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sincityIS
If you spent 42K on your 250 you got raped. I got mine fully loaded with nav, front lip and a rear spoiler for 34,875 out the door.
I bought my IS250 AWD with an MSRP of 40,601 for 36,150. BUT--there was an IS250 AWD on the showroom floor listed for $44,000+, and it didn't even have the Luxury Package, which would have added another $2,000 to the price.
Old 03-03-08, 04:46 AM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

Wow!!!Its so amazing how much posts has gone about this new car that Hyundai decided to make. I mean the car would seem to be decent if that will "supposedly" be the price with a fully loaded Genesis with the V8. I can agree with some of the posts here that it could just be the rep. that Hyundai has made that made it what their rep. looks like today. It looks like a pretty decent car with its great features. Its would also amaze me how if they will sell it that cheap.

I would still love my IS when this car is released. No doubt about that!!! It was always mine and my families dream to own a Luxury vehicle like the MB, BMW, or Lexus. So far I'm the first in the family and proud of it.
Old 03-03-08, 04:58 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Lexus became the best selling luxury car in the US because of quality, reliability and value, NOT being cheap. Why do people still buy Chryslers? If it wasn’t for Hyundai’s price and 10 year/100K mile warranty they would crashed and burned long time ago! Hyundai will do well as long as some people's first priority is cost.

Koz
Old 03-03-08, 06:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Lexus became the best selling luxury car in the US because of quality, reliability and value, NOT being cheap. Why do people still buy Chryslers? If it wasn’t for Hyundai’s price and 10 year/100K mile warranty they would crashed and burned long time ago! Hyundai will do well as long as some people's first priority is cost.

Koz
Think about that a second--if the car was such a POS, think of how much $$ they'd on warranty claims. They put the 10Y/100K MI warranty in place to help convince buyers that the cars weren't the little crappy cars from their '80s US introduction. 2 Hyundai's were named among Consumer Reports' 10 "Top Picks" in the 4/08 issue--they don't do this if a car doesn't have at least average reliability.

And--there's a major difference between being cheap, and having value. When Lexus was first introduced, it had much value--it was priced 1000s less than German luxury cars (yes--it did have Toyota quality to back it up). Hyundai is taking the same approach--lots of standard featuress for less money. Will the Genesis pull many buyers away from Lexus, Infiniti, MB, BMW, Caddy, etc? I would be skeptical. But, will Avalon, Maxima, Camry, Accord, Lucerne, Taurus, etc. buyers be lured away to buy a car loaded with features not even available on those cars, with way more HP, for comparable $$?--I bet they will.

And, it is well documented that many Hyundai's have quality at or near their Japanese competitors. Anyone who says otherwise just has not done their homework. Sure--there may be criticisms about some hard or cheap plastics in some Hyundai interiors, but we have all seen the same criticism written about Infiniti, MB, BMW, Caddy, and plenty of other lux makes.

Last edited by tex2670; 03-03-08 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: IS250 VS. Hyundai genesis