IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 VS. Hyundai genesis

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 01:00 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

many Benz owners also have Lexus and bmws... such as my family... the gap between looking down upon Lexus by German car buyers is decreasing radipidly.... but the gap between hyundai and lexus still very far off...
Old 03-02-08, 01:09 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Within the last 10 years, Hyundai has gone from sh|t to overall well done. Even our great mod 1SICKLEX acknowledges this. The Hyundai today is not the same as the Hyundai from 20 years ago. Lexus never been looked down upon? Lexus may be up there now, but there are still many who sees Mercedes > Lexus. There are more S-classes than there are LS sold. There are more E-class sold than GS. The RX and ES makes up the majority of the Lexus sales. Of all the Lexus, it's going to be the LS that makes it into those million dollar homes. No way am I saying Hyundai is better than Lexus. That would be crazy talk, but you cannot disregard them for their nameplate only, which is the point i'm trying to come across. That would be as silly as many Benz owners disregarding Lexus for its name (which does happen a lot). If Lexus themselves considered Hyundai a 'threat', then that alone says A LOT.
I agree with alot of your points...MB sells ALOT of cars because of the badge. But there are ALOT of people that buy cars without driving them, cross shopping etc...I looked at the C350 when looking at the IS, my wife wouldnt even test drive one. BMW 335, again, wouldnt test drive one. IS, she was ready to buy it WITHOUT driving it. She has had 3 GS's, so she knows the customer service and reliability are the best. I live a block away from the #1 MB dealer in the country...the sales lot looks like a parking lot at a stadium, the place is HUGE...but again, I know too many people with MB problems so buying one is not an option.
Old 03-02-08, 01:15 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i wish i had auto windshield wipers.

The Hyundai looks more like for a older group of people, while the IS is for more younger people.
Old 03-02-08, 01:19 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

The only thiing similar between the two cars would be the price points, which are much closer than the OPs friend may want to admit considering that the car isn't even being built yet.

If you compare equipment and features for value, a lexus is pretty much going to get its trunk spoiler handed to it on a silver platter compared to any non-luxury brand's flagship. That's like taking a loaded camry over an ES350 or an Accord over a TL.

In reality, the 2IS is much more sporting than anything Hyundai would ever put out. Thus, if your friend REALLY wants a comparison, let him buy his Hyundai and then find a twisty road. PWNED.
Old 03-02-08, 01:25 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
What is this reliability thing you speak of? Just curious...is Hyundai rated high? Better than BMW, Mercedes (not hard to do), Infiniti, Acura? How about durability, what are the long term tests showing? What are model year 2000 cars looking like? Or are they still unproven? My point is there is REASON to question a Hyundai....there was no reason to question anything about a Lexus except its luxury. Which could be seen easily. Also durability wasnt a question as Toyota trucks had been proven for years. They had TRD which made fast race cars, they just couldnt get upscale people to buy a high end Toyota so they made a "Luxury Division"

Hyundai's reliability rating on all of the major rankings like JD Powers, Consumer Reports and the like rate them quite high in the last 5 or so years. Everything from long term reliability, to initial quality, so consumer satisfaction has been going up every year and for all intents and purposes are about tied with Honda/Toyota. It really is the old Hyundai name stigma that is holding them back. A lot people just remember how they were, and not where they are now or where they are headed. Here are a few google search results. In the Car Chat section members always post the latest results and Hyundai is basically top 5.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...cr-picks_x.htm

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=115677

http://www.carpages.co.uk/hyundai/hy...y-10-06-06.asp
Old 03-02-08, 01:41 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Genesis will be way more bang for the buck compared to the 250 or any luxury car. It's going to be a great car that's for sure. The only problem is the badge. It's a Hyundai. A few car forum guys may know or care about such a great deal but the majority of people don't. If you want any kind of respect at all you'll have to debadge that sucker bling it up like those photoshops above, and hope nobody asks you what it is. Cuz once you tell them you'll have to make up all sorts of crap up like how if you had the budget for a loaded accord or this you'd choose this cuz you're a practical guy etc etc... and the deal with their oh okay whatever looks as you drone on about the awesomeness of the Hyundai warranty.
Old 03-02-08, 02:01 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Says it all!

http://www.autospies.com/news/VIDEO-...he-Show-25498/

Koz
Old 03-02-08, 02:09 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dannygjatt
So this friend at work is looking to buy that new genesis when it comes out, it seems like you get everything fully loaded for about $30k. Anyway he is making fun of how i spent $12k more and got my IS250. he said the Lexicon stereo in the Genesis is better than the Mark Levinson. all the options in my IS250 are in the Genesis, rain sensing wipers, navi, heated/cool seats, rear camera, bluetooth, etc. what do you guys think??
I think that's non-sensical. Those 2 cars are nothing alike. Who cares what features each has? The Genesis has more features than a fully loaded F150, for less $$, but so what?
Old 03-02-08, 02:17 PM
dannygjatt
Rookie

Default Is250

what year is your car? do you have ML?
Old 03-02-08, 02:26 PM
dannygjatt
Rookie

Originally Posted by sincityIS
If you spent 42K on your 250 you got raped. I got mine fully loaded with nav, front lip and a rear spoiler for 34,875 out the door.
what kind of IS do you have? ML 2008? where do you live?
Old 03-02-08, 03:31 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

The Genesis looks nice, but I still love my 250 much better.
Old 03-02-08, 05:15 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A nice well equipped car for $30K.
Hyundai's all-new 4.6-liter Tau V8. Tau will produce an estimated 368 horsepower. For the V8 model, the sprint to 60 mph takes less than 6 seconds.

High-tech equipment includes: electronic stability control, XM NavTraffic, adaptive headlights, radar-based active cruise control, a 500-watt 17-speaker Lexicon audio system, and electronic active head restraints.

A leather-wrapped dash, door panels, and console lid surround the driver, while heated and cooled seats provide added comfort. The steering wheel is wrapped in engineered ultraviolet reflective leather to remain cool to the touch in extreme sunlight.

Genesis has a total of 8 ultrasonic sensors located on the front and rear bumpers.to help park in tight spaces. The car also offers a power rear sunshade, automatic electronic parking brake, proximity key and push button starter.
Old 03-02-08, 05:36 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Lot's of Japanese (and one Korean) brands are being compared here on value, options and so on, in order to obtain a value price point on the heritage of the brand.

Honda's have always been excellent cars since day one just as Toyota's have and for the most part Nissan's which started out as "Datsun" have been. In other words, when someone mentions Honda, Toyota or Nissan, an individuals first thought is not, "Piece of *****". They think value priced reliability.

The issue with Hyundai is that they started out as a POS car company from day one. It's not a secret as to why people really don't equate Hyundai with quality or luxury even though they are making major headway in that direction.

Why not just start out in the beginning like Honda and Toyota with a goal to build quality? Years ago the chairman of Toyota said, "You can not inspect quality into the car, it has to be built in!". It's much easier to "shoehorn" into a luxury brand later on when you already have the reputation for quality to begin with. This is where reputation and integrity come in.

Does anyone remember Yugo? I find it hard to believe that those things were even once sold here in the United States. I went to the auto expo in Houston back in the 90's and they were there only in the form of art where people had turned them into a "bar-b-q pit" or something else ridiculous.

Cheers,
Old Oiler

Last edited by Old Oiler; 03-02-08 at 05:38 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-02-08, 05:59 PM
moolman
Pole Position

The Genesis is suppose to be competing with the GS, 5 Series and A6 but they are not quite targeting the same people. It's more for the people who want a 50-60K car but only either want to spend 30-40K or can only afford 30-40K. Hyundai knows that it's brand name is crap right now, so for the last 5-6 years they have been building cars that are ranked very high in quaility from all the major mags and surveys. That's also why they are the only ones offering a 5 year bumper to bumper, 2 years longer than any other non-luxury brand.

Hyundai has a luxury division called Equus in Korea. They sell 100K cars but obviously they aren't going to bring it to the states because it won't sell YET.

So they bring over excellent cars with good value, like the Genesis and Veracruz, which many car mags say compare to the RX only cheaper. So they keep pumping out cars under the Hyundai name but make them as good as Lexus only cheaper. Many years from now they come out with their own luxury line and by that time, most people remember only the good cars like the Genesis, not the Excel from the 80's. Same thing that toyota did.

It's so funny that Lexus owners are saying the same crap that MB and BMW owners said a couple of years ago.
Old 03-02-08, 06:13 PM
CarlitosPR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, a couple of cl members say it before "Its a Hyundai" my humble opinion its that the hyundai got the bad "H" Honda=Happy Hyundai=Herpes. JK. It look like a great car but if they gave it to me for free ill be happy to take it but ill never buy it.

PS. Old Oiler. The only car my dad gave me for free was a Damn Yugo and the piece of crap put trough college my mechanics son and never drive it more than 20 miles without a problem. I Left it in a bad area with the keys in and is still there......

Quick Reply: IS250 VS. Hyundai genesis