IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealership refused my TSIB on "engine knock & rattle noise" Help plz ..

Old 02-29-08, 05:26 AM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership refused my TSIB on "engine knock & rattle noise" Help plz ..

So I dropped off my car at the dealership early morning yesterday for the metal grinding noise at startups:

http://lexustsb.com/index.php?sid=14...=52&artlang=en

They called me back in the afternoon and said they DID duplicated the sound and the reason why it makes the noise is because "Your engine was LOW on oil, it had some type of leak and we topped off TWO QUARTS of oil for you. We also replaced the washer for the oil pan." I was speechless when they told me that. I strongly refuse to hear that my car was missing 2 quarts of oil. Especially for this rattle noise?? Then I told them the TSIB #, which might be related to my case. They called me back 30 minutes later saying my VIN # is NOT affected by this TSIB.

I don't know which plant my car was produced; TMK or Tahara. But it says "Produce BEFORE the production change effective VIN shown"

JTHBE262#72009954
JTHBE262#75015099

My VIN # is
JTHBE262X65009***

So is this TSIB refer to MY car too? Yes or NO??
Old 02-29-08, 05:38 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Does the car still make the noise after they topped up the oil?
Old 02-29-08, 05:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't lose sight of the goal here--to make the noise stop. If the dealer diagnosed the problem, and it's other than the TSIB, and the problem is fixed, why would you fight to have them perform unnecessary work?

If you find the problem persists, you take it back.
Old 02-29-08, 06:07 AM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tex2670
Don't lose sight of the goal here--to make the noise stop. If the dealer diagnosed the problem, and it's other than the TSIB, and the problem is fixed, why would you fight to have them perform unnecessary work?

If you find the problem persists, you take it back.
My concern is that my car has been making this engine noise for a long time already. I recently just got my oil and filter changed around 3 weeks ago. My mechanic added EXACTLY 6.7 quarts of oil. The day after oil change it made the noise already. Plus if I was really losing 2 quarts of oil my driveway cement would be black by now .....

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Does the car still make the noise after they topped up the oil?
They still have my car and will start up the car today again to see if the problem persist. Going to the dealership for service is not a problem. Going to the dealership for the SAME repeated problem is a big problem. It's hard to get a loaner car at this dealership. I can take my car in for service anytime, the appointment is actually to get a loaner car.

My question is:
Is my VIN # affect by this TSIB?
Old 02-29-08, 06:40 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to another dealer. Explain to them the service issue with your dealer. See if they can help. They will see the service in the computer system that was performed and the dexription of two qrts added. I would ask another dealer or call Lexus to see if they can run your VIN for this TSIB. They will not tell you about the other TSIB's unless there I a problem. Lexus dealers don't really like it when we bring in TSIB codes for service, they much rather have you adress an issue and and them locate the TSIB. We'll, I say tough. I would not give up on this.
Old 02-29-08, 06:48 AM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brian231
Go to another dealer. Explain to them the service issue with your dealer. See if they can help. They will see the service in the computer system that was performed and the dexription of two qrts added. I would ask another dealer or call Lexus to see if they can run your VIN for this TSIB. They will not tell you about the other TSIB's unless there I a problem. Lexus dealers don't really like it when we bring in TSIB codes for service, they much rather have you adress an issue and and them locate the TSIB. We'll, I say tough. I would not give up on this.
When I get my car back and it still makes that noise, then I'll take your advice and bring it to another dealer. I understand that they don't like it when we bring them the TSIB codes we "think" it's our problem, but I only mentioned it because they told me a different story and seems like the mechanic there never perform this TSIB on any 2IS before. This Lexus dealership is pretty new, I believe they opened in 2006? I wouldn't be surprise if they haven't done this job to an IS yet.
Old 02-29-08, 06:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
They will not tell you about the other TSIB's unless there I a problem. Lexus dealers don't really like it when we bring in TSIB codes for service, they much rather have you adress an issue and and them locate the TSIB. We'll, I say tough.
This was something my dealer told me--I brought copies of the TSBs and they said--"You can put them in the car, if you want, but we like to have our guys diagnose the problem first." I think, generally, that's a good policy. You realize the backlash they'd get if they just blindly performed the TSB, and the problem was caused by something not addressed in the TSB? It's good to point them in that direction, but you need to let them do their jobs of diagnosing and fixing problems, too.
Old 02-29-08, 09:42 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Have a word with their service manager. That TSB covers all 06 models and some 07 models that fall BEFORE the VIN# break.
Old 02-29-08, 10:39 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I get this cold knock every once in awhile too, but i am VERY hesitant to let them do this tsib. They basically have to rip apart your engine and put it back together. I dunno if i want to trust them with that kind of a job.
Old 02-29-08, 10:57 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Get it fixed you'll be glad you did. I got mine fixed with the TSIB. Look up the post about engine cranking noise.
Old 02-29-08, 04:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMut
I get this cold knock every once in awhile too, but i am VERY hesitant to let them do this tsib. They basically have to rip apart your engine and put it back together. I dunno if i want to trust them with that kind of a job.
No, this is completely untrue. The work they do is no more intrusive than replacing a timing belt on an engine with a belt instead of the chains we have. It doesn't take long, and it directly addresses the problem. Why wouldn't you want it done if it is making the noise?
Old 03-01-08, 10:53 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

^^ I have to disaggree.

I've replaced timing belts on several vehicles. The cam gear install is very involved. I've done a few. I lost count how many timing belts I've done but they are so much easier than the cam gear replacement on the IS & GS models. To make matters worse, Lexus pays 6.0hrs to do what takes everyone a whole day to accomplish and one little mistake and the engine goes. That maybe the reason why the thread starter's dealer isn't doing this TSIB.
Old 03-01-08, 01:07 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carchitect
^^ I have to disaggree.

I've replaced timing belts on several vehicles. The cam gear install is very involved. I've done a few. I lost count how many timing belts I've done but they are so much easier than the cam gear replacement on the IS & GS models. To make matters worse, Lexus pays 6.0hrs to do what takes everyone a whole day to accomplish and one little mistake and the engine goes. That maybe the reason why the thread starter's dealer isn't doing this TSIB.
I just got my car back from the dealer, so they added 2 quarts of DINO oil for me, not caring that I use ONLY Mobil 1. I haven't had time to check my oil level right now, I'll see later. The valet parking guy that brought out my car told me he didn't hear any weird noise when starting the car. So I'll chill for now, but if I hear the sound again I won't be very happy.

Anyway, the other reason I brought in my car was to replace my ML subwoofer in the rear cabin. I have had people, including me... telling me my subwoofer is finished. You can hear the nasty flapping sound VERY noticeably. During the time it was at the dealer, technicians could NOT duplicate the sound. They even "TEST DROVE" a few miles to see if they hear any weird sound from my rear speaker. Of course, nope they didn't. So when I picked up my car today I turned on my ML system, it was tuned to AM news station. What kind of technician test the subwoofer with an AM station?! So I listen to my CD and FM radio for a minute and asked my advisor to take a minute and listen with me. The technician came outside and sat in the car with us, asking me if my CD is an ORIGINAL CD... I said no, it's a copied CD, would you like me to go home and get you an "original" CD? After listening to FM he told my advisor to order a new ML subwoofer... Anyone that wants to know what dealer this is, feel free to PM me but I prefer not saying in public. Sorry guys, just venting.
Old 03-01-08, 01:41 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

maybe refer all future problems to an established dealership? to be honest these guys sound like theyre just trying to weasel around your problems rather than getting dirty and fixing them... I agree with the TSB thing, imagine being a technician and doing all that schooling and training, and having some guy just bring u a sheet he got online and saying - thats what wrong fix it (not that you did that, just saying).. and yeah besides if they just blindly fixed TSB's it could be a big waste of money for a lot of people involved, but its a big difference if your VIN/Car is outside of the TSB range, and the dealership just not wanting to perform the TSB.. possibly call lexus and see if they can run the VIN number to see if it falls w/in the TSB dates?

as for your noise, if as of now its not grinding, than whatever they did fixed it (temporarily), but if you hear that noise again i'd either go to the same dealership and be somewhat aggressive about why they didn't fix it, and if they even hesitate to do the TSB, just tell them your taking it somewhere else and drive to the next nearest dealership/service center... otherwise if it's fixed - congratulations =) time to order a new subwoofer though!
Old 03-01-08, 01:44 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GordoNx3o9
I just got my car back from the dealer, so they added 2 quarts of DINO oil for me, not caring that I use ONLY Mobil 1. I haven't had time to check my oil level right now, I'll see later. The valet parking guy that brought out my car told me he didn't hear any weird noise when starting the car. So I'll chill for now, but if I hear the sound again I won't be very happy.

Anyway, the other reason I brought in my car was to replace my ML subwoofer in the rear cabin. I have had people, including me... telling me my subwoofer is finished. You can hear the nasty flapping sound VERY noticeably. During the time it was at the dealer, technicians could NOT duplicate the sound. They even "TEST DROVE" a few miles to see if they hear any weird sound from my rear speaker. Of course, nope they didn't. So when I picked up my car today I turned on my ML system, it was tuned to AM news station. What kind of technician test the subwoofer with an AM station?! So I listen to my CD and FM radio for a minute and asked my advisor to take a minute and listen with me. The technician came outside and sat in the car with us, asking me if my CD is an ORIGINAL CD... I said no, it's a copied CD, would you like me to go home and get you an "original" CD? After listening to FM he told my advisor to order a new ML subwoofer... Anyone that wants to know what dealer this is, feel free to PM me but I prefer not saying in public. Sorry guys, just venting.
I really don't know what the issue is with the majority of our dealers here in NewYork. Hate to say it, but most of them are just A-holes. Gordo, I'm having the same problem with the startup noise, have a bunch of rattles, car sometimes run's a little on the rich side, but purposely have not done anything about it because I'm simply avoiding the dealership. Don't want to go there, and unfortunately experience exactly what you are going through at the minute. I feel your pain, and am crossing my fingers that they eventually do the right thing for ya.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealership refused my TSIB on "engine knock & rattle noise" Help plz ..