IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Front license plate...
I don't have one, and local laws says it's o.k.
14.18%
I don't have one, but it's illegal.
47.01%
I have my front license plate installed.
38.81%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Front License Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 01:54 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate?

I have seen soooo many ISs around my town with just the back license plate. I decided to put my front one on (I don't like how it looks though) because I had cops pull me over numerous times in my Honda for not having a front plate. ...FYI - in California it's the law to have a plate in front and back.

How many of you have a front license plate on your IS?

POLL TIME!!!

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 02-26-08 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-26-08, 01:57 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I took mine off, but i get jealous when i see another 2IS with no front plates and there was no holes to begin with.... but i use bumperplugs to cover them up..

I had the front plate on a for a few days and then took it off and stuff the front plate under the passenger seat
Old 02-26-08, 02:00 PM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

I keep mine on since the Dealer couldn't take of the bracket that was supposed to hold the license plate off. I just try to ignore it and make a customized license plate frame so it doesn't bother me as much.

It's also the same law here in Hawaii, but a lot of people don't have their front license plates on. The most I hear from here is that people just get marked for the front plates when they get pulled over for something else(ex.Speeding).
Old 02-26-08, 02:02 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4U2eNv_8o8
I keep mine on since the Dealer couldn't take of the bracket that was supposed to hold the license plate off. I just try to ignore it and make a customized license plate frame so it doesn't bother me as much.

It's also the same law here in Hawaii, but a lot of people don't have their front license plates on. The most I hear from here is that people just get marked for the front plates when they get pulled over for something else(ex.Speeding).
Yup...cops in Cali use it as an excuse to pull you over....then decide to give you a ticket for something else.
Old 02-26-08, 02:04 PM
Swisha
Pole Position

i drive with out it cause most of the time cops dont want to waste their time unless its late at night.
Old 02-26-08, 02:17 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This topic has been discussed many times before. Besides chancing getting pulled over for it and having the cops find other things that would cause a driver much more despair, there is a reason why many States require them. It is another law enforcement tool to help identify suspect vehicles, such as those of bank robbers, kidnappers, etc., coming the other way when the police are going in the opposite direction. Now I know our cars look better without them, but as good citizens, I believe we should cooperate with these laws.
Old 02-26-08, 02:18 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never had one on my 1gen and not on my 2gen. COPS in Illinois are rough about this as well. Nock on wood, I have not been pulled over for this. I hate how it looks on the front. If I had continuous problems, I would get a nice frame. Problem is, no frames hold up against a winter of salt here. Anyone know of any nice chrome plated frames that resist corrosion. i have heard of those fancy $45 vault frames with a plastic cover thats seals a plate hermetically.
Old 02-26-08, 02:20 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

no front plates for me when i drive...i put them on only when i park...cause thats where and when i only get my NO FRONT PLATES ticket...
Old 02-26-08, 02:23 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

yeahh i drive with no front plates here in chicago and in the suburbs its no problem at all.. but whenever im in the city, I have to park in the indoor garages due to cops giving me tickets.. I once got 4 tickets in 2 weeks for not having plates while my car was parked outside.. I never park outside (side street) anymore when i'm in the city. I think if your in a parking lot with tons of other cars around you, theres a less of a chance though.
Old 02-26-08, 02:33 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Just got a no front plate ticket and tint ticket. California HIGHWAY patrol in a white camaro. The front plate ticket I got it signed off by the local Sheriff's department but apparently the tint tickets can't be signed off anymore. you have to show up in court and show that you've corrected it. It's retarded because 2 yrs ago I was able to take care of the tint ticket I got by just getting it signed off like the front plate ticket. Now I have a court date. freakin' california..
Old 02-26-08, 02:40 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Never had a front plate on ever since I started driving. Been 13 years now.

I specifically told the dealer not to drill into my front bumper because I knew right away when the IS came out that It did not look good with a front plate on. The front of the IS is really sexy and the front plate just sticks out so much!
Old 02-26-08, 02:50 PM
NOVAGFC350
Pole Position

Front license plate is required here in VA. I've got tickets for no front license plate on my previous ride - 4gen Prelude. As a matter of fact, my co-worker just got a ticket for none displayed front license plate this afternoon .
Old 02-26-08, 03:13 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Interesting, I never thought about this but I have no plate on in Vegas. I got pulled over for speeding and he never said anything either. Then again, he couldn't see the front. It think it is fairly common here though.
Old 02-26-08, 03:20 PM
Extreme437
Pole Position

My car came with one from the dealer. I was so unhappy with it and hated the look of it I had it removed, the holes filled, and my entire front bumper repainted. Much better that way It's a simple $10 fix it ticket. Nothing double sided sticky tape can't temporarily fix while you take the car to the station to get signed off
Old 02-26-08, 03:35 PM
ZachAttack
Rookie

I live in NC and you don't have to have a front plate. YAY

However back when I lived in San Mateo I didn't have front plates on any of the cars.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate?