IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Aftermarket HIDs - Did you use a relay harness?
Yes - Better safe than sorry. No issues.
57.32%
No - Relay shmeelay. Didn't install and haven't had issues.
40.24%
No - Didn't install, but had issues.
2.44%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Aftermarket HIDs - Did you use a relay harness?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 04:55 AM
inrainbows
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aragorn
Well this guy installed the XD kit on his Elise without a relay....

http://www.trix.com/Elise-HID/

From the looks of the page and graphs, he was probably an EE. Notice that the XD kit has a 16A spike for a little bit less than a second, then it drops down very quickly to about 3.5A...

I need to check up on this, but I believe our cars have a 15A slow blow fuse for the front headlights, which should easily support 16A for a second or two...

The dude with the Elise only had a 10A fuse on his car....
What's the worst that can happen? A silly blown fuse? Or an automotive thermonuclear catastrophe?
Old 02-01-08, 05:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by inrainbows
What's the worst that can happen? A silly blown fuse? Or an automotive thermonuclear catastrophe?

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...=relay+harness
Old 02-01-08, 07:36 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aragorn
Well this guy installed the XD kit on his Elise without a relay....

http://www.trix.com/Elise-HID/

From the looks of the page and graphs, he was probably an EE. Notice that the XD kit has a 16A spike for a little bit less than a second, then it drops down very quickly to about 3.5A...

I need to check up on this, but I believe our cars have a 15A slow blow fuse for the front headlights, which should easily support 16A for a second or two...

The dude with the Elise only had a 10A fuse on his car....
he demonstrated wtih graphs and actual numbers what i've been saying.

must be a member to view...
Old 02-02-08, 02:44 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by inrainbows
A blown fuse is a very bad sign... fuses are meant to prevent too much current being pulled through a certain section of wires or really sensitive/expensive electronics (instrument cluster, navi, interior lights, etc..etc...)

By the way, the 2IS left and right low beam headlights both have 15A fuses (page 300 of manual)...

But anyway... to each his own like a bunch of people have been saying in this post. It is your car..do what you want with it.
Old 02-18-08, 07:33 AM
Doushiyou
Pole Position

purchased 6000k HID kit for my old car. took them out and put them for the FOGs w/o relay. Provider said no need. should i be worried now?
Old 02-18-08, 08:41 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

iether they will blow the fuse when you first try to use them and you'll need a relay or they won't blow the fuse and you'll be fine. the amount of high current is used for less than 1 second, then it settles to less than stock current consumption.
Old 02-18-08, 09:38 AM
Doushiyou
Pole Position

awsome thanks a bunch. i ve been driving with em for a week, and drove with them on the old car for about 6months until the swap.
Originally Posted by 19psi
iether they will blow the fuse when you first try to use them and you'll need a relay or they won't blow the fuse and you'll be fine. the amount of high current is used for less than 1 second, then it settles to less than stock current consumption.
Old 02-18-08, 02:04 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I would definitely recommend using the harness. A buddy of mine tried to go the easy way out and use the OEM wiring, while it worked, his HID's also flickered a lot. Once he installed a harness, all was well. Who knows, the flickering could have been simply a bad connection, but it could also have been the wiring not being adequate enough. Either way, it's there, it's recommended, might as well do it the right way.
Old 02-23-08, 09:43 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

I very much suggest using a harness. For those who have an XD kit with intermittently working harnesses, why not just ask Steve for a replacement?

For those who have a kit and no harness, hit me up and I'll get one shipped out to you for $20.

c.
Old 03-25-08, 03:56 AM
VF84
Pole Position

some more info...

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/headlamp-harness.html

using e46 bixenons in my wagon, and if i install a relay harness, it will throw a light bulb out on the dash. does that happen if u use relays for the 2is with aftermarket hids?
Old 03-25-08, 11:48 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

We strongly suggest using a relay harness. This topic has been much debated on this forum and you will find many people that its necessary and you will find many people that say it is not.

Many vendors do not include relay harnesses as relay harnesses cost money. They simply want to purchase the product for as little as possible for higher margins. We include a relay harness for several reasons:

1) The ballasts are powered directly from the battery. This ensures that they always get a constant 12V. This is important as if the ballasts don't see 12V they will flicker which will cause them to burn out.

2) With a wiring harness installed you do not run the risk of damaging your vehicle's OEM headlight wiring. This is also important for those of you that are still under warranty as with a wiring harness there is no legitimate reason for a dealer to ever blame an aftermarket product should something ever go wrong.

Better safe than sorry..

Steve
Old 03-25-08, 07:20 PM
inrainbows
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
We strongly suggest using a relay harness. This topic has been much debated on this forum and you will find many people that its necessary and you will find many people that say it is not.

Many vendors do not include relay harnesses as relay harnesses cost money. They simply want to purchase the product for as little as possible for higher margins. We include a relay harness for several reasons:

1) The ballasts are powered directly from the battery. This ensures that they always get a constant 12V. This is important as if the ballasts don't see 12V they will flicker which will cause them to burn out.

2) With a wiring harness installed you do not run the risk of damaging your vehicle's OEM headlight wiring. This is also important for those of you that are still under warranty as with a wiring harness there is no legitimate reason for a dealer to ever blame an aftermarket product should something ever go wrong.

Better safe than sorry..

Steve
Hi Steve,

Yup, I ended up installing the harness. I guess I was making a big deal out of it before actually seeing the kit. It was so easy. And I love the kit! Big thanks!
Old 03-25-08, 07:59 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

My Pleasure!

Enjoy =)

Steve
Old 05-07-08, 04:46 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nvm found the asnwer

Last edited by Mike813; 05-07-08 at 04:50 AM. Reason: none
Old 05-17-08, 02:03 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No relay, no problems yet. Been going on over 6months

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HIDs - Did you use a relay harness?