IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How long can I let my car sit

Old 01-25-08, 04:46 AM
Smuckers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long can I let my car sit

Hi,

It's snowing and the roads are full of salt and full of pot holes. Yep, I live in Michigan. I like my IS too much to get it dirty and driving my other car. Is it not good to let a car sit for long periods of time? I read somewhere in Road and Track (can no longer find the article) that it wasn't a good thing to do.

Currently my car has 850 miles on it. It's bedroom is the garage and the ambient temp in it's bedroom is a moderate 50 degrees with the door always closed. 7 degrees when it's open. jeeeesh

can anybody offer some constructive advise? How long can a vehicle sit before "long term" issues could develop down the road. Is this something a NON Lexus owner should fret about?

Right now my Scion Tc is working out just GREAT.

thank you
Old 01-25-08, 04:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I use a battery Tender to keep the battery at full charge as my IS can sit a couple of weeks.
Batteries lose 1.5% of power per day sitting and adding in the engine and radio presets,clock,the percentage rises.
Using a Battery Tender can make the battery last twice as long as it's not good for the battery to lose too much power and being recharged many times.That kills a battery long term life.
I would think it's worse with cold temps.
There more things involved with the car sitting months.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-25-08 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-25-08, 07:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

should put your cars on jacks if you can so the tires dont develop flat spots from sitting in one place too long. Start it up and let it run for a few minutes once every couple weeks
Old 01-25-08, 07:31 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
should put your cars on jacks if you can so the tires dont develop flat spots from sitting in one place too long. Start it up and let it run for a few minutes once every couple weeks
This is going to the extreme. Before I sold my beater my car sat months at a time. His tires should be okay if his car sits for a few months. People with Motorhomes do this when they sit for years, not months.
Old 01-25-08, 07:34 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Two words for you: Battery Tender. I've had a problem with a flat battery due to it sitting for a few weeks. Cheap insurance and it only takes 5 minutes to hook it up. Just trot over to your nearest motorcycle store and ask for one. They come in several types; Regular or Junior. Both will work.

Here is my DIY: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=318091

I don't like the idea of starting it up and letting it run for a few minutes, it'll never completely warm up and will cause more problems than just letting it sit.

Last edited by Evitzee; 01-25-08 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-25-08, 07:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
This is going to the extreme. Before I sold my beater my car sat months at a time. His tires should be okay if his car sits for a few months. People with Motorhomes do this when they sit for years, not months.

True.
Last year I sold my '69 Corvette which sat for 6 months a year in my garage without jack stands.Flat spots will runout after a few miles of driving on radials.Bias tires are a different story.
At the end of the show before winter I would fill the car up with gas,add an additive,change the oil,cover the car,add 40 lbs of air to each tire,take the battery out and leave it on a battery Tender.
Starting up now and then causes more harm then good.
Did that for 10 years without a problem.
Old 01-25-08, 07:40 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I used a battery tender as well and I was gone for three weeks and it takes only a couple of minutes to set up.
Old 01-25-08, 07:56 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

I sit my car for the winter as well as I'm in upstate NY unfortunately this winter - my car is in the garage back home w/a cover on it and has been that way since Nov 1st. As others have said, I have a battery tender on it, but I also think putting it on stands is extreme. When I'm traveling back home for a several days, I'll start it up and take it for a quick spin - it starts right up w/no flat spots in the tires to speak of so I think you’re good to sit this car for a few months.
Old 01-25-08, 08:16 AM
movin_up
Driver

It's not going to do anything sitting in the garage through the winter. Trust me, it'll be fine. Battery tender? Sure, go for it.

If I can hop in my '81 F150 and start it up on the 2nd crank after it's sat in a field for a year while I was at school, your brand new Lexus should be ok in a 50 degree garage. The dealership you bought it from has a parking lot full of them that aren't being driven in this weather either.
Old 01-25-08, 08:20 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

let it sit, it will be fine. Start it once a week. and give it a few revs.
Old 01-25-08, 09:35 AM
taminatorv
Driver School Candidate

I would also suggest putting in some fuel stabilizer and run it through the engine. This will prevent the fuel from gumming up in the lines and the injectors. Also, change the oil and oil filter to remove contaminants that may leave etch marks after a long periods.
Old 01-30-08, 04:49 AM
Smuckers
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for all the input.

my car doesn't even have a thousand miles on it yet and it's already 2 months old. Can't wait for the weather to break so I can give my Scion a rest.
Old 01-30-08, 06:27 AM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Smuckers
Hi,

It's snowing and the roads are full of salt and full of pot holes. Yep, I live in Michigan. I like my IS too much to get it dirty and driving my other car. Is it not good to let a car sit for long periods of time? I read somewhere in Road and Track (can no longer find the article) that it wasn't a good thing to do.

Currently my car has 850 miles on it. It's bedroom is the garage and the ambient temp in it's bedroom is a moderate 50 degrees with the door always closed. 7 degrees when it's open. jeeeesh

can anybody offer some constructive advise? How long can a vehicle sit before "long term" issues could develop down the road. Is this something a NON Lexus owner should fret about?

Right now my Scion Tc is working out just GREAT.

thank you
I am also a michigan resident and my car is also in the garage for the winter and lemme tell you it s****!!!. Esp when this winter has been so mild. There were several occasions that made me want to put insurance back on the darn thing and drive it but as soon as that thought comes to mind, a snow storm hits. lol.

But on the topic, i usually just start up the car at least once a week or twice, keep it running for about 10-15 mins. It should be fine. Did that last yr and the batery seems to be fine.
Old 01-30-08, 06:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by k_dizzle

But on the topic, i usually just start up the car at least once a week or twice, keep it running for about 10-15 mins. It should be fine. Did that last yr and the batery seems to be fine.

That's really not a good idea.It's not only about the battery.
You're creating moisture in the oil.The engine will not burn off moisture in 10-15 minutes,especially idling.
If a car will sit for a few months you should change the oil and filter,fill the tank and use a fuel stabilizer and Battery Tender.
Old 01-30-08, 10:00 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me, I would just disconnect the battery, and call it a day. However, if you want to be really **** about it, follow what boat owners do when they winterize them. A battery tender would be best, but you could also just do a bit of a trickle charge every couple weeks. Boaters will also treat their fuel with Sta-bil, run the engine for 15 minutes, kill the engine by spraying fogging oil into the intake, and change the oil while it's still hot. That would be the full treatment.

Whoever starts their engines periodically while in storage is making a mistake. It's common knowledge that most of the wear on an engine occurs during a cold start, and there is no start that is "colder" than once a week during the winter. It's also common knowledge that idling is bad for an engine since it contaminates the oil. It's all bad, so don't do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long can I let my car sit