IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front License Plate Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 07:53 AM
moses0324
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate Question

When I bought my lexus is250 brand new 2008...I requested them to leave the front license plate off because I did not want holes in the front bumper...To my dismay when I arrived to pick up the car it was already drilled and license plate holder had been installed....Dealer said they had to because of state laws...Just wondering how many of you have been successful with this request??? Now I have to find a place to fix the drilled holes...
Old 01-22-08, 07:55 AM
dsclar
Driver School Candidate

They gave me the front plate holder and told me I'd have to have it drilled out if I wanted to install it. It's still in the trunk.
Old 01-22-08, 07:56 AM
moses0324
Driver

^^^ur lucky I wish they gave me that option...
Old 01-22-08, 08:05 AM
tshek
Pole Position

i think is depends from state to state... FL is not require and it is in my garage now.

PS, the dealership didn't even ask do i want it on... since nobody here have them on...
Old 01-22-08, 08:42 AM
GS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In TX they are required. But most high end luxury cars do not put them on. And the dealership is not responsible for putting the plate on. You are. I would talk to someone at the dealership about this. But since it's illegal, you probably don't have much of a case. Good luck.
Old 01-22-08, 09:36 AM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Requested the dealer not "drill it"... Did not seem to be a big deal with them. They sounded like they received this request a lot.
Old 01-22-08, 09:48 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd tell them to replace the bumper..... You didn't want it drilled and they drilled it anyways. How do they know that you weren't gonna install it a different way.... Like plastic tying it to the lower grille. or double side tape it to the bumper. As the consumer they should do what ever you request. If when you made the request they said "no" than they would have a legit reason of state regulations. But since they didn't say no right away and when you picked it up it was on, it was lack of communication on the dealerships behave and they should be responsable for the problem at hand.
when i bought my moms 08 Highlander they tried to give me the run around about the front plate bracket, i told them i wasn't gonna buy the car if i needed the drills put in.
Old 01-22-08, 09:54 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

I would not have bought the car. but if you took delivery there is a very good thread about which bumper plugs to use. Or you could get them filled in by a body shop I guess. That is WAY more trouble then it's worth though.

For the record, I have been pulled over once int he past year for an illegal u-turn and the cop didn't even notice the plate. Oh and I just got a warning for the u-turn too.
Old 01-22-08, 10:08 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I've gotten several tickets for not having front plates here in Texas. That hasn't motivated me to drill the holes yet, but the tickets aren't cheap. My last one was $195. You might want to research how costly the tickets are in your area before going out of your way to repair the holes. If you still want to remove the plate, I would suggest just using bumper plugs.
Old 01-22-08, 10:46 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a recurring issue here and opinions vary all over the place. You can do a search and read to your hearts content.

In the scheme of things this is not a big deal but is very emotional here. People wring their hands, threaten to not buy the car, demand the dealer put a new bumper on, threaten legal action, etc, etc. Those that run without a front plate where it is required are selfish and have decided to put their cars image above the law. That's their decision, and your's. You probably aren't going to have much luck whining to the dealer, it's required in your state and he put the plate holder on. Maybe you can talk him into filling the holes and repainting it at no cost. Good luck. Failing that you can do three things, 1) Pay to have the holes filled and bumper painted, 2) Use bumper plugs, or 3) Get a high quality plate frame and put your front plate on as the law requires. Your choice. But this issue isn't one of the most important issues that you will face in your life.
Old 01-22-08, 10:52 AM
Toptier
Pole Position

Originally Posted by moses0324
When I bought my lexus is250 brand new 2008...I requested them to leave the front license plate off because I did not want holes in the front bumper...To my dismay when I arrived to pick up the car it was already drilled and license plate holder had been installed....Dealer said they had to because of state laws...Just wondering how many of you have been successful with this request??? Now I have to find a place to fix the drilled holes...
same thing happened to me here in CO, I just dealt with it.
Old 01-22-08, 11:24 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I also told the dealer I did not want it and they gave me the kit. I never had one on my Gen 1 as well. Cops can be sticklers on no front plate tickets in Illinois. I just hope I don't get pulled over for it knock on wood. I hate how a front plate looks on the car.

Last edited by Brian231; 01-22-08 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-22-08, 11:55 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Those that run without a front plate where it is required are selfish and have decided to put their cars image above the law.
Front license plate laws are for generating revenue, and that's it. The fine for removing the front plate is effectively a tax on those that want their car to look a little better. If I'm willing to pay that tax, I don't think that is selfish at all. If front license plates provided any real benefit to society, then every state would require them.
Old 01-22-08, 12:17 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dsclar
They gave me the front plate holder and told me I'd have to have it drilled out if I wanted to install it. It's still in the trunk.
Same here. The front holder went straight into the "crap" pile in my garage.
Old 01-22-08, 12:22 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Those that run without a front plate where it is required are selfish and have decided to put their cars image above the law.
Actually Park Place of Plano does not drill the holes NOR do they tell you that a front license plate is required. This has held true on each of the three vehicles my family has purchased from them.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Question