IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pop noise pulling out of driveways

Old 01-13-08, 12:32 PM
TAP4636
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop noise pulling out of driveways

Weirdest thing, and before I overreact, I have only 220 miles on this car.

Going over normal bumps in the road are silent, but for some reason, when I'm in reverse or going forward into driveways where I need to have the wheel almost entirely turned in one direction, I hear a crunch noise, which crazy enough, sounds like it's coming from the roof!

It seems to happen when I turn the wheel completely while moving out of a driveway, not when I'm parked. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-13-08, 01:04 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have that problem, it only happens when I turn the wheels all the way.
Old 01-13-08, 01:21 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

I hear and feel it from my front suspension.
Old 01-13-08, 03:33 PM
TAP4636
Rookie

So what do you guys think? Is this an issue? Should I take it in?

An update to the issue. Pulling out of a driveway does NOT make the noise when I pull out of the driveway straight, but only when I'm already making the turn...let's say on a 45 degree angle.
Old 01-13-08, 07:10 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

Well, turning makes your sunroof to create sound? Doesn't really make sense. If you tell me it's coming from the bottom then you have the same problem as me. Sorry couldn't help.
Old 01-14-08, 04:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have it--sounds almost like the roof is creaking when the car's body flexes. I'm having it looked at tomorrow @ my 5k mi service. I'll let you know if they tell me anything.
Old 01-14-08, 07:17 AM
TAP4636
Rookie

Originally Posted by tex2670
I have it--sounds almost like the roof is creaking when the car's body flexes. I'm having it looked at tomorrow @ my 5k mi service. I'll let you know if they tell me anything.
Yes, exactly!!!!

I can hit bumps while I'm driving with no sounds, but for driveways and such going 2 MPH, I hear that roof creaking noise! Seems to happen when the rear wheels going into the street. I'm trying to figure it out but I can't!

Please update me when you know something. I may make an appointment for tomorrow anyway since I'll be in the area.
Old 01-14-08, 07:45 AM
trio
Driver

i hear it too. however, i only hear it during cold temps. during the summer time i never hear it. i suggest you wait until the weather gets warmer and check again unless it really bugs you.
Old 01-14-08, 09:45 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

From what my dealership told me, this is normal. It makes sense. Think about it. When you go up a ramp at an angle, you're flexing your entire car chassis. The metal and plastic can flex, but glass isn't flexible. If you hit it at the right angle, you'll flex the roof , but not the glass panel on the sunroof. That's where you'll hear the creaking.
Old 01-14-08, 10:16 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikeho
From what my dealership told me, this is normal. It makes sense. Think about it. When you go up a ramp at an angle, you're flexing your entire car chassis. The metal and plastic can flex, but glass isn't flexible. If you hit it at the right angle, you'll flex the roof , but not the glass panel on the sunroof. That's where you'll hear the creaking.
Maybe so, but 7 years and 65,000 mi on my Acura TL, and I never had this issue. I suspect the same applies to most others IS owners coming from a car w/a sunroof. If this was "normal", no one would have a complaint about it. It would be like saying "I hear a clicking noise when I use my turn signals."
Old 01-22-08, 01:07 PM
TAP4636
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikeho
The dealer blew smoke up your behind.

I just took my car to my dealer, drove around with him so he could hear it, which by the way has gotten worse....happens more often now.

I just called them since they had the car all day, and the service manager said it was definitely an adjustment thing, since they test drove it a couple of times without the sunroof and it was fine, so they are putting it back together.

I'll have the car back in about an hour so I'll update everyone when I have a verdict on whether it was fixed or not.

I'll keep you all posted!!!!
Old 01-22-08, 01:13 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Thats a new one for me. Just checked for TSIB's on this and no dice. Keep us posted, I am interested to see what is going on.
Old 01-22-08, 01:30 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that sound, and I think it is the sunroof seal shifting with the glass. Probably no need to be alarmed. Maybe we are all paranoyed!!
Old 01-22-08, 01:34 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Brian231
I have that sound, and I think it is the sunroof seal shifting with the glass. Probably no need to be alarmed. Maybe we are all paranoyed!!
Yeah--I had my car in last week, and they told me that there was dirt in there causing the noise. They went ahead and cleaned it out (charged me $20 to do it--so clean it yourself), and I don't hear it anymore.
Old 01-22-08, 02:21 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Hm.. I wouldn't think they would charge for that.. Every dealer is different..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pop noise pulling out of driveways