IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Official Interior Overlay Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 05:33 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Letz250...Looks good! nice find on the matching shift ***..

So is what kind of interior do you have on your seats? seat covers or is it not leather?? looks different but maybe just the pic???
Old 03-02-08, 05:59 AM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by passnu2

So is what kind of interior do you have on your seats? seat covers or is it not leather?? looks different but maybe just the pic???

Where did you get the silver CF overlay and do you know if they have iit for manuels?
Old 03-02-08, 08:57 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I'm Really thinging about the real carbon overlay. I wan't to do it exactly as Lexus did on our cars meaning the edges will be painted like the wood and silver FG on the F. I have grey interior. I think the black AKA real CF would look better. The Silver FG looks better in the black interior cars, IMO. If you guys are interested in doing it right you should start with smaller and flatter stuff and move up from there. There are a lot of vidoes on how this is done on yahoo videos and everyone needs to spend some time viewing them. IMO, an overlay looks way better than these stick on kits. I plan on sanding down the surface of my OEM trims and overlaying them to make them appear like 100% OEM and you can tell by looking at the chrome trim in the shifter area. If you guys do complete this I highly encourage you to take lots of pics, and elaborate on the process of how you went about doing this. If you're looking for info on how to do this visit www.racingcomposites.net and lookover the entire forum on details pertaining to composites.

Here is a link to the overlay the admin of that site did. http://www.racingcomposites.net/unt?id=648
http://www.lighterfaster.com/audioverlay.html

He has been a lot of help for me on my overlays (which unfortunately haven't turned out as nice as I'd like for them to be but I'm getting better)

I personally use SB-112 from System three. I also use their black dye to make the epoxy mixture black. The stuff works excellent and after it hits stage "B" I wrap the stuff and wait to cure. Once cured I make another batch (w/o the black dye) and start adding coats. After 3 coats and no carbon showing I add another coat and then once cured, start to smooth it out. I then take it to my painter for him to shoot the clear on. The end result is amazing and worth the effort. The add-on carbon trim are simply not as pretty as the OEM overlayed in the real stuff.

-Joe
Old 03-02-08, 10:42 AM
Letz250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2

Thanks,
right, seats are not leather. This material has the fantastic name: "suede leatherdesign, velvet-black". It´s the basic equipment with the sports package, you can compare it to Alcantara. I like it very much, doesn´t get too cold nor does it burn your butt when the car is in the sun. And sooo easy to clean! Seats are heated only, not vented. Leather is an option and is available as non-perforated (700 €) or perforated (1200€).
Old 03-02-08, 05:49 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Letz250
Thanks,
right, seats are not leather. This material has the fantastic name: "suede leatherdesign, velvet-black". It´s the basic equipment with the sports package, you can compare it to Alcantara. I like it very much, doesn´t get too cold nor does it burn your butt when the car is in the sun. And sooo easy to clean! Seats are heated only, not vented. Leather is an option and is available as non-perforated (700 €) or perforated (1200€).
wow...wish that was an option for us!! I would get rid of my leather seats and cooled seats for the Alcantara.
Old 03-02-08, 07:05 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like how it looks elevated with the overlays.
Has someone tried removing the stock trim and doing just overlay? Is there anything under the trim for the overlay to stick to?
Old 03-02-08, 08:22 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by stonefan52
I don't like how it looks elevated with the overlays.
Has someone tried removing the stock trim and doing just overlay? Is there anything under the trim for the overlay to stick to?
You can do that. It's possible.
Old 03-02-08, 09:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
So I never really posted my trims. What a great thread to post it in.

Painted by Joe @ Backyard Creations. 1 of a kind POCKY Special! Meaning....No one else can copy it!!!!! haha

Pocky, was your trim wood or "brushed aluminum"?

Now you've got me thinking about going to Joe's...
Old 03-02-08, 11:22 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Pocky, was your trim wood or "brushed aluminum"?

Now you've got me thinking about going to Joe's...
It used to be wood.
Old 03-08-08, 05:41 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by car_lost
Hey car_lost, have you used this Texalium stuff yourself?

Is it easy to apply and use? My interior is black and I would love to install this on some of the trim in my car.
Old 03-08-08, 06:21 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

I hate carbon fiber! I love the look of the birds eye maple though.
Old 03-08-08, 07:34 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

The Silver looks good against Starfire pearl.

Old 03-09-08, 09:51 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
Hey car_lost, have you used this Texalium stuff yourself?

Is it easy to apply and use? My interior is black and I would love to install this on some of the trim in my car.
No, I've never used it. I got the link from viewing the URL of the image that was posted. Sorry.
Old 03-14-08, 11:34 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Installed Carson Silver CF...there are pics of this already so no duplicates. One thing i wanted to point out and see in a few other pics is the fittment of the center piece. All items installed easily and i have the wood trim. I didnt put the black tape so you can see the wood in a few spots. I am going to paint that area black or try something different when time allows...see pics below of what i am talking about. seems to be on the Silver CF from members who have posted. i couldnt shift it or anything to make up for the difference.
Attached Thumbnails Official Interior Overlay Thread-dscf0071.jpg  
Old 03-21-08, 03:56 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

For those of you with the car-gym kit, did you guys have any issues with the cupholder not closing all the way 100%, more like 97-98% instead and when trying to open it. Does it require you to tap and then pull to open? I just installed mine and everything went relatively smooth. I don't see it getting stuck or rubbing/sticking to each other. at first, I was running into an issue with the top portion of the shifter console not laying flat or flush, but after removing one of the silver trim piece, it allowed the top part I mention to sit flush now.

so if anyone can chime in about the cupholder, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Official Interior Overlay Thread