IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How long did you leave your new plate on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 01:03 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the paper plate expires? I want one of those...sick of putting my "temporary" front plates when parking...anyway to obtain them without buying a new car? Or can you just request one from a dealership...and put the dealership's plate once again....(its a way of advertising for them dun you think??) hehehe...
Old 01-09-08, 04:48 AM
n8236
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, and I thought I was weird for leaving my paper plate on for two months. It's hard to imagine having it on for more than 6 months, let alone +1 years lol. I would actually feel kinda silly for having it on that long lol.
Old 01-09-08, 06:39 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This world is a goofy place with people keeping paper tags on for years just so they can beat red light or speed cameras, or are just too lazy to put their permanent plates on. It also makes your hit and run accident victims more difficult to track you down, too.

My dealer called me about two weeks after I got my car, I went in and got them, and put them on myself. Frankly, I don't quite see the glamour in driving around with old, inevitably wet and soggy, paper plates. It has a distinctively 'trailer trash' feel to it, but if it fulfills some inner desire in you, go ahead. Here in TX your name is on the paper plates. It isn't information I want every nut job to have just by walking up to the back of the car and looking.

It is kind of reminiscent of when people used to leave the Monroney sticker on the window for a year or two so the neighbors would be sure to notice that you had a new car. It would get yellow and nasty looking, but people would still keep it on the window. Haven't seen that done in years, so maybe the 'permanent' paper plate caper is a substitute for that.

Last edited by Evitzee; 01-09-08 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-09-08, 06:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

put them on immediately after receiving my real plates
Old 01-09-08, 06:46 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They were on the car as I drove out the dealership. In PA, we use paper plates for a BBQ.
Old 01-09-08, 06:49 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I had the dealer plate on for 6-7 months. I didnt want the new car syndrome to go away.
Old 01-09-08, 07:28 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you drive to questionable areas, your "new" car is more likely to be victimized by vandals than a car that has its plates. I know, cuz this happened to me a couple of weeks after I got my car...
Old 01-09-08, 07:44 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Same here. I've always thought that leaving temp tags, the window sticker, etc. on the car longer than necessary was kind of lame. I find that "new car smell" is what makes me feel that I'm driving a new car.
Old 01-09-08, 07:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
If you drive to questionable areas, your "new" car is more likely to be victimized by vandals than a car that has its plates. I know, cuz this happened to me a couple of weeks after I got my car...
How did you determine it was because of the temp plate??
Old 01-09-08, 08:54 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
How did you determine it was because of the temp plate??
Just a hunch. There were other more expensive but not brand new cars on the street at the time that weren't damaged.

My former 7 series BMW was parked in those areas numerous times without an issue, but my first time there with a car with no plates gets keyed...
Old 01-09-08, 08:58 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
This world is a goofy place with people keeping paper tags on for years just so they can beat red light or speed cameras, or are just too lazy to put their permanent plates on. It also makes your hit and run accident victims more difficult to track you down, too.

My dealer called me about two weeks after I got my car, I went in and got them, and put them on myself. Frankly, I don't quite see the glamour in driving around with old, inevitably wet and soggy, paper plates. It has a distinctively 'trailer trash' feel to it, but if it fulfills some inner desire in you, go ahead. Here in TX your name is on the paper plates. It isn't information I want every nut job to have just by walking up to the back of the car and looking.

It is kind of reminiscent of when people used to leave the Monroney sticker on the window for a year or two so the neighbors would be sure to notice that you had a new car. It would get yellow and nasty looking, but people would still keep it on the window. Haven't seen that done in years, so maybe the 'permanent' paper plate caper is a substitute for that.
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

Javier
Old 01-09-08, 08:59 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I left mine on for 6 months. Just put on the plates last week, I figured it was time to just get-r-done.
Old 01-09-08, 09:40 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I was told that when I picked up my last new car. There are enough malcontents out there who would vandalize a brand new car just for the hell of it.

In California there are no paper plates on new cars, just a paper dealer advertisement insert front and back in dealer frames. They put a temporary registration document on the front windshield (inside) that has a viewable 60 day expiration date. If pulled over, the cop could just add to your troubles if that temporary registration is out of date.

Perhaps this is off the topic here, but I hate those cheap dealer provided frames that advertise the dealership. I take them off as soon as the permanent license plates arrive. I think the car looks cleaner with no frames at all. I certainly don’t want to give the dealer free advertising.
Old 01-09-08, 09:50 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Magellan
Perhaps this is off the topic here, but I hate those cheap dealer provided frames that advertise the dealership. I take them off as soon as the permanent license plates arrive. I think the car looks cleaner with no frames at all. I certainly don’t want to give the dealer free advertising.
I agree I took off the license plate and the paper advertising for the dealer as soon as I left the dealership. They didn't pay me to advertise for them so why keep them on. I did get pulled over for not having a license plate, cop thought I stole the car had to prove to him it was brand new car. He even went as far as to make sure I didn't scratch off the vin number. I did put the license plate as soon as they came in I didn't want to get a hassaled again.
Old 01-09-08, 09:54 AM
tshek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Magellan

exactly what i do and exactly how i feel...why advertising for them? another off topic, I hate the dealer put those sticker that have their name. I always ask them to take it off.

Quick Reply: How long did you leave your new plate on?