IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Windshield Molding Cracking and Chipping Away. Anyone else have this problem? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-11, 05:54 AM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing under warranty

Uggh, I took my car in to get this fixed under warranty and they said it was caused by an ice scraper???! I am going to lay down that document for them and see if they change their tune.
Old 11-01-11, 06:23 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by m4gicm4tt
Uggh, I took my car in to get this fixed under warranty and they said it was caused by an ice scraper???! I am going to lay down that document for them and see if they change their tune.
Are you under factory warranty? If so, then they need to fix it. If not, play it carefully because they're under no requirement to fix it so it'd be goodwill if they do. Printing out this and the 2 or 3 other long threads on the issue, particularly the pictures posted by others, will definitely change their tune. That's what I did.
Old 11-01-11, 07:53 AM
itruns
Driver

Wow, I guess I'm lucky, the IS350 does not have this problem, but I have had it on many of my BMW's including my current one... but in my case it is much more expensive as the windshield has to come out and they tell me it will "probably crack", so I need a new seal (cheap enough) and prob. a windsheild (not cheap at all)... I wish I could fix my BMW for >$100!
Old 11-01-11, 09:07 AM
BamaIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my 06 but I got lucky. When I had my windshield replaced at Safelite, the technician came out and said "your windshield trim pieces are in bad shape. I've got these used ones back here that are in perfect shape that I can put on your car if you don't mind". Was I going to say no?
Old 01-09-12, 01:20 PM
ghwanee
Rookie

Does anyone know the TSIB number or code for this? My dealer says they have no idea about this.
Old 01-09-12, 01:36 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

AFAIK, there is no TSIB for this. The dealership should replace it for free if you're under the original factory warranty, otherwise it's at the dealer's discretion. At best, if you're not under the original warranty they usually only offer to cover half of the expense by either comping the labor or parts cost.

A local dealership offered to comp the parts for me so I said that's fine just give me the parts and I'll install it myself, and then they said it's a package deal and I have to pay for labor. lulz. I ended up ordering the parts from Sewell and doing it myself.
Old 03-05-12, 02:22 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Talking Lexus Stands by Quality

Hi Everyone,

I didn't realize I had the same issue until I checked after reading this thread sometime last year. I figured that I would hear a no like several others so I never approached the dealer.

I am currently around 68k and outside of original warranty, although I am under CPO Warranty until 2013 or 100k. So last week I printed off the handy word doc that is shown in this thread and marched down to the dealership to see what would happen. The tech initially said it's not covered under any warranty but they would take some pics and "submit it." I assume this was submitting to, "corporate." I also got the impression that the dealership would prefer to submit it vs. me calling and complaining to corporate (this actually makes a fair amount of sense). After about a week of waiting I got a call today stating that they would take care of the parts and labor under good faith. I'm very pleased with my experience so far and mad kudos go out to Lexus of Wayzata (MN)!!!!

Old 03-05-12, 03:09 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pnthrzrule
Hi Everyone,

I didn't realize I had the same issue until I checked after reading this thread sometime last year. I figured that I would hear a no like several others so I never approached the dealer.

I am currently around 68k and outside of original warranty, although I am under CPO Warranty until 2013 or 100k. So last week I printed off the handy word doc that is shown in this thread and marched down to the dealership to see what would happen. The tech initially said it's not covered under any warranty but they would take some pics and "submit it." I assume this was submitting to, "corporate." I also got the impression that the dealership would prefer to submit it vs. me calling and complaining to corporate (this actually makes a fair amount of sense). After about a week of waiting I got a call today stating that they would take care of the parts and labor under good faith. I'm very pleased with my experience so far and mad kudos go out to Lexus of Wayzata (MN)!!!!

Glad to know the Word doc helped!
Old 03-05-12, 03:12 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

The biggest problem isn't if there going to replace it. The real problem is that in a couple of years its going to happen again cuz there using crappy materials
Old 03-05-12, 03:59 PM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the dealership change right and left for me last service but after two weeks i noticed the left one isn't set well, i tried to reseat it but no hope the upper side sits and lower pops out.... seriously crappy materials
Old 03-06-12, 03:19 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Default Nothing is perfect

Originally Posted by faisal11ir
the dealership change right and left for me last service but after two weeks i noticed the left one isn't set well, i tried to reseat it but no hope the upper side sits and lower pops out.... seriously crappy materials
You are not perfect...I am not perfect...the techs are not perfect...and the materials are not perfect. My suggestion would be to contact the dealer sooner rather than later so they can take a look at it.
Old 08-20-13, 09:58 PM
MGB
Driver School Candidate

I'm just learning about this windshield problem now. I checked and now I see I have the same issue. This is either an inferior rubber being used or a design flaw. Perhaps if this moulding was made with silicone instead of plane rubber it would last longer. Has anyone found an after market replacement that is any better than the OEM?
Old 08-21-13, 07:27 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I noticed this a while ago on my 250 and 350. I'll certainly bring it up at my next service visit.
Old 08-21-13, 08:23 AM
Buya02
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Who has the part #'s and cost of each piece? My dealer quoted $283 to replace everything. I laughed and said no. My damage is on the bottom of the windshield right by the fenders. I live in SO CAL.
Old 08-21-13, 11:17 AM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Buya02
Who has the part #'s and cost of each piece? My dealer quoted $283 to replace everything. I laughed and said no. My damage is on the bottom of the windshield right by the fenders. I live in SO CAL.
you can find it on sewell or drop by lexus of westminster, tell them ur on CL and they will give you some discount.

Quick Reply: Windshield Molding Cracking and Chipping Away. Anyone else have this problem? Pics