IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY - TPMS Canister/Pipe Bomb

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 05:16 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by birador
correct me if i'm wrong and would appreciate it if we already had a thread on this suggestion-my question is do our spare tire/donuts can have tpms?just an inquiry-to solve some problem on this thread
What KillaIS250 said.....spare tire does not have TPMS.

IIRC some people were literally just putting the TPMS sensors in the spare and remounting the tire to the rim. But, obviously that would pretty much make the spare unusable (the tpms would be rolling around in there)
Old 10-24-11, 05:28 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what is the purpose of this????
Old 10-24-11, 05:30 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes rx
What KillaIS250 said.....spare tire does not have TPMS.

IIRC some people were literally just putting the TPMS sensors in the spare and remounting the tire to the rim. But, obviously that would pretty much make the spare unusable (the tpms would be rolling around in there)
Not exactly. I remember reading one member's post where he did drive on the spare tire with the sensors inside and the tire and the sensors where fine afterward. I wouldn't recommend it, but it it's been done
Old 10-24-11, 05:35 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by chikoo
what is the purpose of this????
Used to house TPMS sensors in a pressurized chamber to keep TPMS light on dash from lighting. This is for people that for whatever reason don't have the programmed set of TPMS in the wheels that are mounted to their car.....so they use the canister to house the programmed sensors within the car itself.

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Not exactly. I remember reading one member's post where he did drive on the spare tire with the sensors inside and the tire and the sensors where fine afterward. I wouldn't recommend it, but it it's been done
I can't imagine that balances out too well LOL
Old 10-24-11, 07:57 PM
birador
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Spare tire's do not have TPMS.
aware of that,asking if we can put tpms instead of regular valve?question answered and it's plausible-thanks
Old 10-24-11, 09:30 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Put all my stock tpms in the spare tire, works great. can swap whatever wheels now and don't have to worry about it.
Old 10-25-11, 04:53 AM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by birador
aware of that,asking if we can put tpms instead of regular valve?question answered and it's plausible-thanks
We're talking about literally placing the TPMS valves inside the wheel/tire.

It appears you're talking about substituting the regular valve with a TPMS. You might be able to put a tpms in place of regular valve in spare tire........but you still have to do something with the other 3 tpms valves.
Old 04-15-12, 07:44 AM
two2tone
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will do this soon...
Old 04-15-12, 08:32 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont waste your money and time, over time the canister will leak if not done 120% correct, just put them in your spare tire. Much simpler and you dont run the risk of a pipe bomb exploding in your trunk.

Mine are in my spare and so far no issues, one member even had to put his spare to use one day and no problems at all.
Old 04-15-12, 09:20 AM
binhster
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just 3M double side tape the sensors to the inside of the spare? Is the spare physically too narrow for that?
Old 04-16-12, 07:45 AM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
dont waste your money and time, over time the canister will leak if not done 120% correct, just put them in your spare tire. Much simpler and you dont run the risk of a pipe bomb exploding in your trunk.

Mine are in my spare and so far no issues, one member even had to put his spare to use one day and no problems at all.
Dude no offense but your comment is wrong and falsely discouraging to anyone wanting to do a DIY.

True, you gotta do it right to avoid a "blow out", but that's no different than anything else.

It's just called planning ahead. When I made mine, I installed a valve stem with it. Then, all I had to do was put in a minimal amount of psi, set my on-board TPMS setting for that low level, then had no worries about blow out cause there was a minimal amount of pressure in the canister.

If it leaked (which is didn't, but even if it had), I could just add a little air through the valve stem....no different than if I had put them in my spare and my spare leaked (which does happen over time).

Plus, putting them in the spare creates other things, such as money spent on dismount/remount of spare, and worrying about 4 sensors loose in the spare tire if the need to use the spare ever came.

Like I said, a little planning ahead + $10 on materials + 30 minutes of my time = no worries about blow out, no worries about leaking air, no wrestling with spare, no worries about functionality of spare

Last edited by mikes rx; 04-16-12 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-19-12, 03:44 AM
JDMIS300TT
Driver School Candidate

Genius...............
Old 08-02-12, 05:45 PM
toadolson
Driver School Candidate

I was reading this thread and I REALLY like the idea of the sensors in the spare but..............

Has anyone drilled and mounted their sensors at 90/180/270 degrees from the original valve stem location on the spare????? With the sensors being across from each other and hard mounted, the balance SHOULD be close or enough to get you home. Then there no loose sensors floating inside your spare. Just and idea?????

Old 08-02-12, 08:48 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You do not have to fully dismount the spare tire to slide the sensors inside. I wasn't charged anything and it took 5 minutes. I use one of my full size 19" stocks if i need a spare.
Old 08-02-12, 09:41 PM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Pipe bomb

I did this too but it leaked after few months so I got $8 hand truck / wheelbarrows tires that hold 50psi. Deflated to 0 and I squeezed all four sensors in there and inflated back to 40psi and never had problems

Like this...

Name:  IMG_3488.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  67.0 KB

Last edited by 08sgmis350; 08-02-12 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY - TPMS Canister/Pipe Bomb