IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$500 to paint my new rear bumper? Is that too much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 12:11 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts
Default $500 to paint my new rear bumper? Is that too much?

I will be supplying the OEM bumper, I just need to Bodyshop to paint it, thats all. I will install it myself.

I've gotten quotes from 3 well known Bodyshops (uses PPG and Glasurit) and they all quoted around $500 to just paint the bumper. Do I have some room to haggle and are they giving me a "premium" quote just because its a Lexus?

Last edited by Coconut; 12-13-07 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-13-07, 12:18 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow. a brand new bumper unpainted is like 300ish already. hmm.. for what it's worth i got my rear lip painted for 225 at one shop and then the same lip painted at another shop for 350ish. this is including installation tho. so maybe 500 for an entire bumper isn't far fetched? you might as well just have them do the installation too.
Old 12-13-07, 12:24 AM
Coconut
Racer

Well, your prices included installation so I think you got a really good deal. I still think $500 is too much. I was under the impression $400 would be the max for a really good paintjob.

All 3 shops are charging ~$140 to install it. I took the damaged bumper off myself to check the support structure underneath and it was fairly easy so I'll be installing it myself.
Old 12-13-07, 12:37 AM
AntLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had my bumper repainted for $250 from a company contracted through the dealer...they were actually set up in the dealer's parking lot underneath a tent...

originally went to the dealer and they had the guy (painter) come get me at the service desk...

im not sure if the whole bumper was repainted as it was only a 3 inch scratch but i imagine it was since i cant tell the difference in coloration...guy did a great job

btw...company was called Fast Finish and this was at Pohanka Lexus...i imagine this doesnt help you much since you are >2000 miles away but maybe you can try going to the dealer to recommend a place for you
Old 12-13-07, 12:44 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coconut
I will be supplying the OEM bumper, I just need to Bodyshop to paint it, thats all. I will install it myself.

I've gotten quotes from 3 well known Bodyshops (uses PPG and Glasurit) and they all quoted around $500 to just paint the bumper. Do I have some room to haggle and are they giving me a "premium" quote just because its a Lexus?
Hey Coconut. Since you're in SJ, go look up my body shop guy. His name is Vu and he runs a shop called VHD.

It's 2555 Lafayette St, Santa Clara, CA 95050. If you search on google maps and choose satellite, it's the big building just up right of the arrow. His shop is in the very back.

He requests that you call him before you go. His cell is 408 821 5299. He shares the space with another body shop. It seems a bit sketch (mostly because of the other body shop), but Vu does absolutely awesome work, he has good prices, and he is very quick.

I highly recommend him. When someone backed into my bumper and I had to get it fixed, most places were quoting me $1000+ to fix the damage and repaint. He charged me only $500 and did absolutely amazing, amazing work. I would take my car back to him again without hesitation. I'm even thinking of getting him to get rid of the volcano holes on my front bumper. His color matching is perfect!

Knowing him, he'll probably paint and mount the bumper to make sure the color matches. He says that the glossy black that Lexus uses is one of the hardest, but he knows paint very well and does a great job.

Tell him Mike Ho with the 2006 Black IS250 sent you. He fixed the rear left side of my car.
Old 12-13-07, 12:50 AM
juncho
Rookie

I just received two estimates to repair a very minor ding and repaint my bumper: 1)$550 (local bodyshop), 2) $560 (local bodyshop) and 3) $900 (Lexus dealership)

Based on the rates I received, the $500 estimate isn't too far off. You should check to see if you can get a deal for paying cash. *wink*wink*

I'm going to need to repaint my bumper soon. I just need to find a trustworthy shop in the OC area and time to drop my 2IS.
Old 12-13-07, 04:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That's high.Should be about $350.
I can maybe see $500 for my crystal pearl white because it's a 3 stage paint process but not for black.Does black even have a clearcoat?
Old 12-13-07, 04:24 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Aren't they gonna color match the paint with the trunk and fenders? IMO it should cost $1k for a good job. You will be able to tell the difference between the bumper and fender if they don't colormatch.
Old 12-13-07, 04:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Aren't they gonna color match the paint with the trunk and fenders? IMO it should cost $1k for a good job. You will be able to tell the difference between the bumper and fender if they don't colormatch.

Lexus doesn't colormatch.My bumper covers are a bit off.The bumper covers are not painted on the car.
There will be a difference in matching under certain lighting conditions.
A blend in of the trunk lid and fenders would work better but it would be a lot more than $1K.
You have to blend in the color and then shoot the whole panel with clear.You can't blend in clear.
Old 12-13-07, 04:35 AM
warhol
Driver School Candidate

getting my rear bumper replaced today and for a new bumper+paint+install it's costing me $750. just for painting it shouldn't cost more than $350
Old 12-13-07, 04:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by warhol
getting my rear bumper replaced today and for a new bumper+paint+install it's costing me $750. just for painting it shouldn't cost more than $350
That's a little bit high considering the bumper cover is around $210 but after tax not bad.
The install is easy.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...07&catalogid=2
Old 12-13-07, 09:02 AM
Coconut
Racer

Originally Posted by mikeho
Hey Coconut. Since you're in SJ, go look up my body shop guy. His name is Vu and he runs a shop called VHD.

It's 2555 Lafayette St, Santa Clara, CA 95050. If you search on google maps and choose satellite, it's the big building just up right of the arrow. His shop is in the very back.

He requests that you call him before you go. His cell is 408 821 5299. He shares the space with another body shop. It seems a bit sketch (mostly because of the other body shop), but Vu does absolutely awesome work, he has good prices, and he is very quick.

I highly recommend him. When someone backed into my bumper and I had to get it fixed, most places were quoting me $1000+ to fix the damage and repaint. He charged me only $500 and did absolutely amazing, amazing work. I would take my car back to him again without hesitation. I'm even thinking of getting him to get rid of the volcano holes on my front bumper. His color matching is perfect!

Knowing him, he'll probably paint and mount the bumper to make sure the color matches. He says that the glossy black that Lexus uses is one of the hardest, but he knows paint very well and does a great job.

Tell him Mike Ho with the 2006 Black IS250 sent you. He fixed the rear left side of my car.
That sounds really good! I definitely give him and a call today. So he painted your rear bumper right? Did the color and clearcoat "shininess" match with your OEM finish? Was the finish smooth with very minimal orange peal and dust particles (trapped in paint)?
Old 12-13-07, 09:27 AM
Signal_jp
Lead Lap

get a rear bumper on ebay for like $100 and repaint that. is your damaged one repairable? if so its cheaper that way. painting a rear bumper and install should run about $350 to $400. my dad owns a body shop in santa clara.
Old 12-13-07, 09:36 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coconut
That sounds really good! I definitely give him and a call today. So he painted your rear bumper right? Did the color and clearcoat "shininess" match with your OEM finish? Was the finish smooth with very minimal orange peal and dust particles (trapped in paint)?
Yup! Rear bumper and left rear fender which stretches all the way to the A pillar. Color and clear coat matched the OEM. Smooth and zero dust particles. Don't know what orange peal is...

Forgot to mention.. when Vu fixed my car. It only took two days to fix the dent and then repaint and dry! I wish I had before and after pictures. I'll take a picture of the area and post it.
Old 12-13-07, 10:14 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikeho
I'll take a picture of the area and post it.
Heh... sorry.. forgot that I let my dad use my CF card for his vacation. I tried taking pictures but I had nothing to store it on! Trust me, he's great. People here comment about the colors being off and such. He knows about blending into the seams so that it looks like one color. If he thinks he needs to paint more to get a good match, he'll do it.

Quick Reply: $500 to paint my new rear bumper? Is that too much?