IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Auto climate feature turns on A/C in winter..

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-07, 07:38 PM
Lexus88
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto climate feature turns on A/C in winter..

it's 37 degrees outside... climate control is set at 78 degrees... when i hit auto it still turns a/c on... why did lexus make a/c come on anytime auto is pressed? they should have made it so that it only comes on if current temperature is higher than thermostat temp... end rant...
Old 12-12-07, 08:57 PM
Hotwheels
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I can't answer that, but I have to comment... love that micro machine. Did you put it in the dryer?
Old 12-12-07, 11:14 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm... well it's 30 degrees outside.... climate control is set at 74 degrees in full auto mode and the AC does not come on (the AC light is off.)
I have no idea why yours is on though....
Old 12-13-07, 12:02 AM
Lexus88
Driver

Originally Posted by oblivionis
Hmm... well it's 30 degrees outside.... climate control is set at 74 degrees in full auto mode and the AC does not come on (the AC light is off.)
I have no idea why yours is on though....
so mine is the only one???

Originally Posted by Hotwheels
Sorry I can't answer that, but I have to comment... love that micro machine. Did you put it in the dryer?
yeah... little too lazy to wash it manually sometimes....
Old 12-13-07, 12:50 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus88
so mine is the only one???

yeah... little too lazy to wash it manually sometimes....
No... every time you press the Auto button the A/C comes on automatically, no matter what the temperature. I don't know why... it's crazy! I think it's something about Japanese cars, cuz all do them (Hondas, Nissans, Toyotas). Only the Germans figured out that maybe Auto doesn't mean A/C. Then again, most German cars don't have an A/C button simply because setting the temperature determines whether the A/C goes on or not. I mean... seriously, who gets into a 105 degree (F) car, turn it on and NOT want the A/C to go on when the thermostat is set to 72? Really???
Old 12-13-07, 01:26 AM
FinanceGuy
Driver

I've found this is only true in NAV cars. I'm guessing you have NAV. The only time the A/C comes on in non-NAV Lexus' is when the front defroster is on...
Old 12-13-07, 01:31 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FinanceGuy
I've found this is only true in NAV cars. I'm guessing you have NAV. The only time the A/C comes on in non-NAV Lexus' is when the front defroster is on...
Nope.. Don't have NAV. Every time I push the Auto button, the A/C will also turn on. As for the defroster controlling the A/C, I don't remember.
Old 12-13-07, 03:21 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeho
Nope.. Don't have NAV. Every time I push the Auto button, the A/C will also turn on. As for the defroster controlling the A/C, I don't remember.
Same here.Sometimes it seems the car doesn't warm up inside like it should at say at a 72 degree choice.I'm going to try and see how it goes by pressing A/C button to get the A/C light off.
Old 12-13-07, 04:01 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, if nobody here knows. A/C not only decreases temperatures, but it also dehumidifies. The point of the A/C coming on when it's cold out is to prevent the windows from fogging up. If you don't believe me, next time you're out driving...manually press the AC button to turn it off and drive around. The windows will start fogging up within 5 minutes or less in 30-40F weather. The colder it is outside, the quicker the windows will fog up.

I guess they gave the option of turning it off so you can roll around in the winter with the windows down and heater blasting. Yes I do that sometimes
Old 12-13-07, 04:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Any A/C unit also has a dehumidifier built in. If you don't have the A/C on, the windows won't defog. If your windows aren't fogged, you can override the Auto by turning off the A/C.
Old 12-13-07, 04:12 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting.
Thanks,guys.
Old 12-13-07, 05:09 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

In AUTO mode the A/C will also not come on below 0c (actually about -2c) and out side air flow selected.

Last edited by clubfoot; 12-13-07 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-13-07, 06:36 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

In the auto mode the sensors will trigger the A/C when it senses humidity. You can manually turn it off but as posted above, the windows will probably fog. There has been times (not very often) when the A/C was off in auto mode. The only time the A/C can not be turned off is when you manually select full front defrost. Also any time you make any manual adjustments the A/C usually comes back on.

Koz
Old 12-13-07, 06:47 AM
jejagua
Driver

I have Nav and noticed the same thing. I was going to post a new thread and ask the same question this morning. Although, I noticed when in auto and manually turn off the A/C, it remains in auto mode.

It has been in the mid 30's (F) the last few mornings and I noticed the A/C on in auto mode. I figured auto turns on the A/C for dehumidification, as stated earlier. However, my vehicle never fogs up as long as I leave it on outside air, even with the A/C off. Maybe the conditions here aren't as conducive to fogging as others.

Auto mode keeping A/C on essentially means my A/C will ALWAYS be on because it's rarely below 0C here and we have hot Summers. When the A/C icon is illuminated, does the compressor stay on full time? What does it mean for performance / fuel efficiency? My impression is that the IS has a fairly efficient climate control system. My other vehicles significantly idle up when the compressor engages. I haven't noticed that on this car.

One thing I miss about my BMW is the ability to blow cool air out of the dash while having heat out of the floor vents. The IS does this occasionally, but I haven't broken the code on how best to achieve it (without just manually selecting cold air.) I usually just pop up the sunroof.
Old 12-13-07, 07:28 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Just because the A/C button is illuminated does NOT mean that the compressor is engaged. It simply means that the compressor is not disabled.

Quick Reply: Auto climate feature turns on A/C in winter..