IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Once and for all, is Obsidian (black) single stage paint on our 2IS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 07:28 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Once and for all, is Obsidian (black) single stage paint on our 2IS?

Can anyone give me a DEFINITE answer whether Obsidian (black) on our 2IS is single stage paint?

Lexus used single stage the first few years for black SC430's, then they switched to 2 stage. Apparently the black LS460's use single stage. I'm getting mixed answers with our 2IS.
Old 12-09-07, 07:35 PM
WyattH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the new LS460 uses a single stage, I am going to *assume* the 2IS does as well. But this is far from definitive of course.

What's the difference, and why are you curious?
Old 12-09-07, 07:38 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the body shop resprayed my rear bumper they used base coat clear coat.
Old 12-09-07, 07:57 PM
Coconut
Racer

single stage = color coat only
2 stage = color coat with clear coat on top

I need to know for sure since I'm going to get my rear bumper replaced. I'd like them to match my factory OEM paint as close as possible so I need to know if its single or 2 stage.
Old 12-09-07, 07:59 PM
Coconut
Racer

Originally Posted by sincityIS
When the body shop resprayed my rear bumper they used base coat clear coat.
Im assuming your 2IS is Obsidian also. Why did they respray your bumper, did they need to fill in an holes or smooth the surface? Does the new paintjob blend in 100% with your factory paint?
Old 12-09-07, 08:05 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Sigh... The black paint used on the 2IS (and practically every modern automotve paint system in existence) is a two-stage paint, meaning base coat+clear coat. Nowadays, the clear coat on automotive paint is assumed, so you might hear some auto body professionals refer to it as a single stage paint, and that's where a lot of confusion comes from. However, the fact is most automotive manufacturers stopped using single stage paint systems (base-coat ONLY) in the 1980's. If you're a doubting Thomas and want to find out for yourself, go wash your car. Rub the sponge (or whatever you use) HARD on your car. If your sponge or mitt turns the same color as your paint, you have a single stage paint job. I'd like to see someone show me definitive proof of a modern Lexus wearing a single-stage paint job.

Javier
Old 12-09-07, 08:49 PM
Coconut
Racer

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Sigh... The black paint used on the 2IS (and practically every modern automotve paint system in existence) is a two-stage paint, meaning base coat+clear coat. Nowadays, the clear coat on automotive paint is assumed, so you might hear some auto body professionals refer to it as a single stage paint, and that's where a lot of confusion comes from. However, the fact is most automotive manufacturers stopped using single stage paint systems (base-coat ONLY) in the 1980's. If you're a doubting Thomas and want to find out for yourself, go wash your car. Rub the sponge (or whatever you use) HARD on your car. If your sponge or mitt turns the same color as your paint, you have a single stage paint job. I'd like to see someone show me definitive proof of a modern Lexus wearing a single-stage paint job.

Javier
Check out this thread having the same argument.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...0+single+stage

The black residue on the pads seems like pretty good proof its singe-stage...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...periments.html

The owner of the LS460 is dead positive that his car and all other Obsidian Lexus' are single stage (no clear coat). He and a few others claim that dealerships told them Obsidian is indeed single stage. While other people insist that it has to be 2 stage. So you see, it's not as clear cut as you may think it is....

Last edited by Coconut; 12-09-07 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-09-07, 09:28 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

He can insist all he wants - that black residue is not paint, it's gunk from polishing the car. If it was paint, there would much more black all over the pad. Single stage paints stain mitts and sponges when you wash the car. Look up the paint codes that Lexus uses for and this is what you'll find:

3-Stage IS Colors (basecoat/midcoat/clearcoat):

8U0-Black Saphire Pearl
062-Crystal White
074-Glacier Frost Mica
3R1-Matador Red
077-Starfire Pearl

2-Stage IS Colors (basecoat/clearcoat)

202-Black Onyx
8P8-Blue Onyx Pearl-5 Variants!
8R6-Breakwater Blue Metallic-3 Variants
6U3-Desert Sage-2 Variants
4P7-Mystic Gold Metallic-2 Variants
212-Obsidian
1G0-Smokey Granite Metallic-2 Variants
1G1-Tungsten Pearl-1 Variant

This is from the DuPont Automotive Color Guide.

Hope this helps.

Javier
Old 12-09-07, 09:54 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it is a single stage paint. this explains why my car scratches so easily. man if would of known this i would of gotten a different color.
Old 12-09-07, 10:56 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badpinoy
if it is a single stage paint. this explains why my car scratches so easily. man if would of known this i would of gotten a different color.
If you had 2+ stage paint, it would show scratches a lot easier. I had 1 stage on my 93 SC400 and it didn't show scratches very easily. Clear shows scratches a lot easier due to its depth. By my SC did have a lot of scratches. The color just wasn't very deep and it didn't show all that well.

Javy is right, Obsidian is 2 stage and is probably the easiest of paint colors to match for the 2IS. All others require blending if a panel is repaired or replaced. Obsidian if painted right wouldn't even require a blend.

-Joe
Old 12-09-07, 11:13 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Somebody rear ended me and put indents of their license plate screws in my bumper. I had the body shop fix the bumper and respray it. The job they did is flawless and I am as picky as they come. They even got the orange peel to match up perfectly. YES THEY USED BASE COAT CLEAR COAT.
Old 12-09-07, 11:15 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Here are pics of my bumper and truck if you do not believe me. I had the holes behind the emblems filled as well on my trunk so you can use that for reference as well.

Old 12-10-07, 04:09 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All Lexus's built today are 2 stage paint regardless of color. If you find single stage paint on a Lexus it's because it's been repainted improperly.