IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Steering Wheel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 05:07 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Problem

Screw me, it seems the only posts I make on here are about problems I'm having with my IS250.

There's definitely something wrong with my steering wheel. When I'm completely stopped, I can turn the wheel in either direction quite slowly and at certain points it does this weird thing... it's hard to explain, but imagine there's like a can or something under your wheels and every time I turn the wheel it bumps as it goes over that.

But I looked and there's nothing blocking my front wheels... plus if there was genuinely a piece of trim or something sticking out which was causing this, why does it happen only when I'm totally stopped?

There's a noise it makes too but you can only hear that inside the car... no clue what this is.
Old 11-28-07, 06:34 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Nothing... any ideas?

It's hard to explain but the best way to think about it is there's something under one of my front wheels and as you turn the wheel it bumps over it... but I know there's nothing there, it bumps like 4 times when you're turning it in one direction.
Old 11-28-07, 06:37 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you get that everytime you do it?

Also, is it kind of like when the wheels hit a groove on a street and the steering wheel "follows" it?
Old 11-28-07, 06:41 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

The problem started today but yes, it happens every time I do it.

It's kinda like when you hit a groove, but a very big one. And as I say it happens a few times as you're turning the wheel all the way.
Old 11-28-07, 06:46 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

If it only happens when you're completely stopped, I don't see why this is a problem. It's probably just the friction from dragging the wheels on the pavement.
Old 11-28-07, 07:01 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine does it tooo. i was gonna ask this ? too
Old 11-28-07, 07:04 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

My guess is that when you crank the wheel all the way at some point the camber of the wheel causes that to happen. Where is lobux when you need him?
Old 11-28-07, 07:11 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

So your completely stopped and the front of the car feels like its going over bumps when turning the wheel? Either something is obstructing the wheel or your power steering is messed.
Old 11-29-07, 01:51 AM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Because it's not subtle... it's like a huge skunk is stuck under my wheel.

Originally Posted by jackblack7
If it only happens when you're completely stopped, I don't see why this is a problem. It's probably just the friction from dragging the wheels on the pavement.
Old 11-29-07, 11:08 AM
Namir
Lead Lap

You trying to make crop circles on your tires?

I try to never turn my wheels when the car isn't moving, it gives me peace of mind that my tires will last longer (I don't know if thats actually true or not but I like to think it is, so don't burst my bubble)
As for your problem I don't really know, maybe check your power steering fluid?
Old 11-29-07, 01:04 PM
bsanfor
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

I took my IS250 to the dealer for this exact problem. Their answer: "We tested three other cars, and all 4 acted identically...so, we have determined it is just a natural characteristic of this car."

Since that time, the problem is actually getting worse. I'm now noticing not only a "catch" in the wheel, though very miniscule, but I also have heard "clunking". It's very annoying when pulling into a parking space where you have to crank your wheel pretty hard.

To me, a catch in the steering and a clunking sound, whether characteristic of the car or not, is a flaw in manufacturing and should be fixed.

Let me know if you make any headway with your service department.
Old 11-29-07, 01:10 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Maybe its due to the IS having a really good turning radius.

It doesnt bother me because I hardly parallel park and turn my wheels full turn when not moving.
Old 11-29-07, 04:01 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

You guys just don't listen... this is not a small problem that I can just live with or whatever. I'm telling you, go put a pair of boots under your tire and you'll see what I mean. I'm not talking about the small vibration or sound problems others have had with their steering wheel.

Oh well, maybe I'll take a vid of it tomorrow.
Old 11-29-07, 05:44 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

We don't understand the problem!!!!!! Saying "put a pair of boots under your tire" means absolutely NOTHING. It doesn't make any sense. Please take a video.
Old 11-29-07, 11:05 PM
Zanorath
Pole Position

I have the same thing happening, but its always happened. For the longest time I thought I was just running over a road bump when I was at full lock pulling out of the driveway, but after I moved the problem stayed. The feel is similar to the feeling of traction control kicking in when at a medium-low speed on a wet day, but, unlike the above poster, I have just dealt with it, as it seems like its just part of the car.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Problem