IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

13.14@105.75 today another 1/10th closer that that magic 12 (now12.844@109.20mph)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-07, 06:39 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realize you are joking, but Helium would just reduce weight (traction) not mass.
Old 11-21-07, 09:11 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I realize you are joking, but Helium would just reduce weight (traction) not mass.
actually its been proven using footballs, since helium is less dense in order to get the same tire pressure as regular air you have to put in the same amount of atomic mass so it turns out in a tire helium is exactly the same as air.
Old 11-22-07, 07:12 AM
GOBUCS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize less weight will give you a better hp to weight ratio and better ET's, but what about removing 30+lbs from the trunk{spare and jack**. Won't you lose some good traction {like you said above** at the rear wheels and change the weight distribution front and back. Let the debates begin.
Old 11-22-07, 07:32 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GOBUCS
I realize less weight will give you a better hp to weight ratio and better ET's, but what about removing 30+lbs from the trunk{spare and jack**. Won't you lose some good traction {like you said above** at the rear wheels and change the weight distribution front and back. Let the debates begin.
Actually with the car being rear wheel drive the weight transfer from the launch puts quite a bit of weight on the rear tires.
Old 11-22-07, 08:45 AM
GOBUCS
Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
Actually with the car being rear wheel drive the weight transfer from the launch puts quite a bit of weight on the rear tires.
Caymandive, I have read that you keep a pretty extensive drag racing journal of all your runs. Do you have some 1/4 mile ET numbers of the same day,with and with out the spare and or other random weights? I'm guessing a small gain, .005 to .01, but so many other variable can alter each run. Your times lately are very impressive, still suprised that after 2 years of trying, no one we know of has broken the 12.xx barrier{with mods**. I'm just hoping to break 13.49{stock** with some cool weather down here in FL.

Good luck gaining the fastest IS350 crown and dipping into the 12's.

Happy Thanksgiving

Patrick
Old 11-22-07, 08:46 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Weight is good, mass is bad. Helium would reduce weight without reducing mass.
Old 11-22-07, 08:56 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GOBUCS
Caymandive, I have read that you keep a pretty extensive drag racing journal of all your runs. Do you have some 1/4 mile ET numbers of the same day,with and with out the spare and or other random weights? I'm guessing a small gain, .005 to .01, but so many other variable can alter each run. Your times lately are very impressive, still suprised that after 2 years of trying, no one we know of has broken the 12.xx barrier{with mods**. I'm just hoping to break 13.49{stock** with some cool weather down here in FL.

Good luck gaining the fastest IS350 crown and dipping into the 12's.

Happy Thanksgiving

Patrick
Happy Thanksgiving to you too Patrick. I have actually never tried racing with the spare/jack in the car. It just hasn't made sense to me showing up with it as everyone else removes it as well. Besides the spare/jack and minimum fuel in the tank, the next biggest weight saver is probably the owners manual. Everything else like the floor mats and other small things left lying around the car really don't make a difference. I guess it can also pay off to be within weight standards. haha

This is the last weekend the tracks around here are open and I'll be going both Friday and Sunday in hopes of reaching that magic 12. The temps esp on Friday are definitely in my favor. It was almost 60F when I ran the 13.1 and this weekend is supposed to be in the low 40's. If I come consistently close to a 12 second run like a 13.00x I will pull the front passenger seat as a last resort. I think that weighs almost 50lbs.

Check out my drag journal (link in my sig) It really tells alot!

Last edited by caymandive; 11-22-07 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-22-07, 11:07 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Percy
Just try the plugs.

Really.

You'll be amazed at what the little engine could do. Toyota is out there to sell iridium plugs. They're not out there to sell torquemaster plugs. Do a search on the torquemaster. A former member by the name of Mean Gene dropped these into a GS400 and they made a world of difference. Real dyno, real world.

As for the wheels, I'm after the unsprung weight and any rotational mass. If you don't want to do it with tires, go for two piece brake rotors that are lighter. The less that you are spinning, the faster the car will get up to speed.

It's a physics thing. And it makes MUCH more of a difference than "static" weight, such as pulling the seats.

That's why my GS 400 is beating out multiple STi cars (NOT WRX....they're too slow) from a few mods with no supercharger.

At the very least, drop in the plugs. You'll get your tenths there, down to the 12s that you're looking for.
Percy, here is a good recent GS400 dyno w/ the TM plugs. I've all ways questioned before and after test comparing these plugs. Never really knew the condition of the plugs that they replace. On this one the old plugs only had 5K miles on them which is decent. and dyno was done on the same session not months later.
I'd say a good odjective test.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=312097
Old 11-22-07, 11:23 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great find Gillexus!!!

YOU WILL GET 12s WITH THESE PLUGS - or at least SOOO close that it might be painful! The torque is increased also...a bit beefier.

Still, try to lose the HEAVY rims and get some lightweights for everyday usage. Rotational mass makes a huge difference.

HOW BAD DO YOU WANT 12s?
Old 11-22-07, 08:07 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Percy
Great find Gillexus!!!

YOU WILL GET 12s WITH THESE PLUGS - or at least SOOO close that it might be painful! The torque is increased also...a bit beefier.

Still, try to lose the HEAVY rims and get some lightweights for everyday usage. Rotational mass makes a huge difference.

HOW BAD DO YOU WANT 12s?
I wonder if RORO ever installed these plugs? I remember in this thread that you were also suggesting to give them a try.
Old 11-22-07, 09:38 PM
Percy

I already have these in my GS400. It's always nice to surprise an M3/E46.
Old 11-23-07, 08:49 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why Gernby makes a point of taking a big deuce right before his runs.
LOL ... I prefer to call it "code 200".LOL ...
Their we go again. Something else these guys waited to share with us. No wonder they have good trac times. lol Kidding, kidding.

TRAC is always turned off.
Just trac button. No pedal dance. Right? Congrats on the kick *** time. You'll get there. The question is, can the rest of us follow.

I'm weary of that Extreme Spark sparkplug. The website seems to be done out of someone basement. Is that photos photoshop? A spark always takes the path of least resistance. But on the photos sparks are coming evenly from all around. Doesn't seam right.

Last edited by phatboyc; 11-23-07 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-23-07, 02:15 PM
Percy

That site used to have lots more pictures. They're not very good at marketing, unlike the IRIDIUM HYPE CRAP that's out there. The "iridium boys" seem to excel at marketing, but with no real dyno charts against anyone else.

But for what they lack in marketing (torquemaster/extreme spark), they make up in lots of torque and a good hp gain.

Isn't that what REALLY counts?!?
Old 11-23-07, 02:20 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I've never heard Iridium plugs hyped for power at all. They are clearly marketed for longevity.
Old 11-23-07, 03:28 PM
LEXCESS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know for a fact that the light wheels will make a huge difference. I bought a set of RAYS 57F forged wheels that weigh 17 lbs per piece. I mounted the stock tires on these and the car picked up out of the hole huge. I sold these and put the stock wheels and tires back on because they look horrible on a 2IS but they were functional. I have only one run in my 350 bone stock and I did a 13.6@102 with nothing taken out. Next year when the track opens again I will remove some weight and buy a set of lightweight 17's this time with a sticky smaller tire to see how low in the 13's I can get without any mods.

You are so close, I think doing a lightweight 17inch wheel tire combo would do it!

Quick Reply: 13.14@105.75 today another 1/10th closer that that magic 12 (now12.844@109.20mph)