IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

13.14@105.75 today another 1/10th closer that that magic 12 (now12.844@109.20mph)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 10:52 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

almost...wish there was ecu chips out alrdy if thats even possible with high ratio..
Old 11-19-07, 10:57 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
You mentioned you left ECT on Normal and didn't brake torque to achieve those times. Did you also turn TRAC to off? Great job on those times and representing what a lightly modded IS350 can do.
TRAC is always turned off.
Old 11-19-07, 12:17 PM
kneedragr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you have intake and full exhaust? What do most people run stock in these cars? What about with just an intake?
Old 11-19-07, 12:21 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kneedragr
So you have intake and full exhaust? What do most people run stock in these cars? What about with just an intake?
Check out dragtimes.com and also look in my signature at the drag strip journal for even more details. Weather is a very big factor and in ideal conditions 13.4's to 13.5's are typical for a stock IS350.

Last edited by caymandive; 11-19-07 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 01:32 PM
kneedragr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caymandive
Check out dragtimes.com and also look in my signature at the drag strip journal for even more details. Weather is a very big factor and in ideal conditions 13.4's to 13.5's are typical for a stock IS350.
Thanks. I can't get to those sites from work. I tried. Will check it out at home
Old 11-19-07, 03:38 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Percy
Torquemaster spark plugs. Now Extreme spark. They'll pull WAY harder to redline than the stock plugs. Iridiums are crap. Had them and pitched them.

The 17s will make a difference. Lightweight and you'll lose quite a few pounds of rotational mass.

12.8 is a conservative estimate. VERY conservative.
Don't you give up traction at launch by going with a 17? Assuming the 17 is less than the stock 255 width 18"... as it is he's already at a 245 width, perhaps what he gives up for in width and traction, he gains in speed with less resistance?

BTW, another amazing run!
Old 11-19-07, 04:04 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Don't you give up traction at launch by going with a 17? Assuming the 17 is less than the stock 255 width 18"... as it is he's already at a 245 width, perhaps what he gives up for in width and traction, he gains in speed with less resistance?

BTW, another amazing run!
He could get a 245/40-17 that would have a similar outer diameter and width. I just just don't think the weight savings would be worth the significantly more money.
Old 11-19-07, 04:06 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

BTW, I really doubt there would be any difference with a different spark plug. If Toyota could have squeezed 10 more HP out of the car just by spending a few extra bucks on plugs ... they would have. It's not like exhaust or intake where they are totally willing to trade a few ponies for a quiet ride...
Old 11-19-07, 04:09 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

maybe you could squeeze out 2 more hp.. just maybe
id get em if you could
Old 11-19-07, 08:19 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just try the plugs.

Really.

You'll be amazed at what the little engine could do. Toyota is out there to sell iridium plugs. They're not out there to sell torquemaster plugs. Do a search on the torquemaster. A former member by the name of Mean Gene dropped these into a GS400 and they made a world of difference. Real dyno, real world.

As for the wheels, I'm after the unsprung weight and any rotational mass. If you don't want to do it with tires, go for two piece brake rotors that are lighter. The less that you are spinning, the faster the car will get up to speed.

It's a physics thing. And it makes MUCH more of a difference than "static" weight, such as pulling the seats.

That's why my GS 400 is beating out multiple STi cars (NOT WRX....they're too slow) from a few mods with no supercharger.

At the very least, drop in the plugs. You'll get your tenths there, down to the 12s that you're looking for.
Old 11-20-07, 04:44 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Percy
Just try the plugs.

Really.

You'll be amazed at what the little engine could do. Toyota is out there to sell iridium plugs. They're not out there to sell torquemaster plugs. Do a search on the torquemaster. A former member by the name of Mean Gene dropped these into a GS400 and they made a world of difference. Real dyno, real world.

As for the wheels, I'm after the unsprung weight and any rotational mass. If you don't want to do it with tires, go for two piece brake rotors that are lighter. The less that you are spinning, the faster the car will get up to speed.

It's a physics thing. And it makes MUCH more of a difference than "static" weight, such as pulling the seats.

That's why my GS 400 is beating out multiple STi cars (NOT WRX....they're too slow) from a few mods with no supercharger.

At the very least, drop in the plugs. You'll get your tenths there, down to the 12s that you're looking for.

Percy, thanks for the reply. Those plugs do look very interesting and unique, but not something I'm willing to try until the factory plugs are due for replacement. I'm just not sure how beneficial the torque master plugs will be for a direct injection application where there is a more precise combustion already occurring. I'll definitely keep them in mind for later and maybe try them on my wifes 1.8t first.

Two piece rotors available for the IS350 in stock size? Not willing to go out and spend big bucks on a brake upgrade when the OEM's are doing great esp with the new TSB brake pads. I really hated that brake dust.

I really just want to hit 12's with the few modifications I have now and a few items out for weight reduction. I'll be happy for the season and next year I'll go from there. I'll have a new full exhaust system for next season, which should help and save a few more lbs and I'm considering some other options as well.
Old 11-20-07, 07:04 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I would be willing to try the plugs if I could find the right part number.
Old 11-20-07, 07:11 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Does anyone know about Pulstar plugs?

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_ap...1&AAIA=1432809

They sound kind of snake oil like.
Old 11-20-07, 08:36 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Most of them are indeed snake oil. The only plugs that I recommend are the TM. That's it. I've tried the bosch plugs, splitfires, and a whole slew of other ones. Even tried the Nology Hotwires and they were absolute CRAP.

With the TM plugs there is an IMMEDIATE difference. PULLS HARD to redline. The stock iridiums feel "gooshy" by comparison up to the same rev range.

Remember that Toyota will not put the "absolute best" in these cars. Iridium is hyped for it's durability, thus the 100k mile interval. The TM plugs were doing that on POINTS ignition, something that passes far more voltage and current than our our modern day coil pack ignition.

EVER NOTICE that iridium plugs will NOT compare directly to another manufacturer? At least not on a REAL WORLD dyno chart!
Old 11-20-07, 09:01 AM
pompitup
Driver School Candidate

nice job. I went there in Oct 7th I got 13.9 stock before oil change and i had half tank of gas. Oh.. and Trac was ON. But I still beat WRX STI
hehe...

www.cyworld.co.kr/crucifymalove

to see video

Quick Reply: 13.14@105.75 today another 1/10th closer that that magic 12 (now12.844@109.20mph)