IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Extended Warranty to 100K COverage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-07, 12:43 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Extended Warranty to 100K COverage?

Hello,

I am curious if the extended warranty to 100K would be bumper to bumper just as the factory warranty for all new cars up to 50K?

Headlamps Failure?
Electronic Failure?

Etc? or is it just drive train?
Old 11-17-07, 03:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe you would be covered.
Speaking of warranties....
Troy Dietrich of Toyota of Greenfield in MA(413) 772-0231) sells genuine Lexus and Toyota warranties.
Last quote I recieved for a Lexus top of the line 7yr/100 mile was $1100 or so and if out of state you pay no sales tax.A great deal.I may go for a 7/75.
I bought a Toyota Platimum 7/100 '07 Camry XLE warranty from $880.Dealer wanted $1595.
Old 11-17-07, 04:34 PM
istundra
Pole Position

nice glad to hear. I will give him a call on MOnday.
Old 11-17-07, 04:44 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by istundra
nice glad to hear. I will give him a call on MOnday.

Here's his email address too.

TDietrich@toyotaofgreenfield.com

Do me a favor and ask about the best 7/75 warranty cost.
Old 11-17-07, 05:25 PM
twitte
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Extended Warranties

Believe it or not... check with Geico. They have an extended warranty for new cars that is really in expensive and covers the Lexus to 7 years or 100,000 miles. They call it "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance" and covers all mechanical parts of the car. There is a $250 deductible. You have to sign up before your car is 15 months old or has 15,000 miles. I'm paying $33.40 every 6 months for this insurance. This is transferable to a new owner as long as they have Geico insurance.

Old 11-17-07, 06:37 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thre is no such thing as a bumper to bumper extended warranty.

Allow me to ellaborate on this matter.

Factory Lexus warranty is 4 years and 50,000 miles which ever comes first. The powertrain warranty is 6 years and 70,000 miles which ever comes first.
The seat belt warranty is 6 years and 70,000 miles which ever comes first.
The emissions waranty is 7 years and 70,000 miles which ever comes first in CA. The rest of the states are 8 years and 80,000 miles which ever comes first but the coverage is lesser than CA. I know that here in TX. 8 year/80k emissions covers MIL light bulb, ECU and flash programming, DLC port and communication, and catalytic converter. BTW, 12volt is 4 year,50k miles only. No ext.warr covers replacement of a battery.

If you purchase a manufacturer's extended warranty from Lexus you will have two options. The deductible is either $50 or free but the purchase is either $1400 or $1350 so you might as well purchase the warranty with the $0 deductible. (I'm not 100% on the price of the warranty but I'm sure about the difference)

Now the difference is that if your vehicle is in for work that is out of the standard warranty there are a few items that won't be covered by the extended warranty that would probably be covered by the standard warranty. Squeaks and rattles are more than likely not covered even if your vehicle has had a TSIB released regarding the issue. Other items that won't be covered would be like squeaky brakes or suspension (unless it does indeed have play in it). Plain and simply, extended warranty companies have associates with desk jobs who don't have a clue about the workings of an intricate machine like a Lexus. So when the service advisor places a call with them regarding payment of the repair they always seem to ask for the failed component. So simple disassembly and lubrication of something as simple as a swaybar mount is not a covered item since it has not failed yet. They also don't generally cover other adjustments. For instance, if your vehicle has a rear knuckle with a loose bushing and is part of the knuckle, they will purchase a new knuckle (and other associated parts to it if necessary, like the wheel bearing and ABS dust shield) and the labor to service it but they won't pay for a 4 wheel alignment since the vehicle is over due for it (even if you just had one done). If your alternator quits and your battery is toast, it covers the alternator and its replacement labor but you're responsible for the battery. They also don't cover trim items. If your a-pillar trim comes apart or the driver's window run channel shrinks and has a wind noise these items are considered inconvenience and not a detrimental towards the functionality of the vehicle.

I know that this maybe a shocker for most since the heavy initial purchase of a vehicle combined with what the salesman may have informed you about the benefit of the extended warranty and peace fo mind for your part for only about $25/mo. increase. Most anyone would see it as an advantage. However, bare in mind that the seat belt and powertrain warranty only extends out another 1 year and 30k miles. The 49 state cars only get another 20k mile increase in mileage for their emissions warranty.

What you do get in return is coverage for the remaining sensors that may fail after 4 years,50k miles standard warranty. I even covers your road side visit or tow back to your dealership although this is somewhat grey and depends on your dealership and their PR support.

IMO, you can't get better ext.warranty support for your Lexus than Lexus extra care. Any dealer advocate would agree with me on that. When your vehicle's service history is looked by any Lexus dealer this information is bought up in dealer daily (their software) which makes it so you won't ever need to present this information (your ext.warr. contract) to them. They have it online.

I know this is a lot of information to swallow. I'm posting it so that no one would have to experience a surprise when they have their car worked on. IMO, you can't go wrong with it since these cars could develop some rather expensive repairs from their wear and tear and through out the 100k miles of ext.warr. support you would probably get at least as much in expenses as you've initially spent for it if not more. And even if you didn't it wasn't putting you out financially on a limb.

-Joe

Last edited by carchitect; 11-17-07 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-17-07, 07:46 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^
I don't want to quote you're entire post, but you're somewhat right and somewhat wrong.

You're right in that they won't pay for "wear and tear" items that are part of what comes with a 7 year old. Squeaky brakes, a little bit of a loose steering, and other issues of the like are called life with an older car. It's not going to run like it's 1 week old, and that's not what a warranty is supposed to cover anyway.

Now, where you're wrong: I'm pretty sure that you're example of not fixing issues such as a bad battery and an alignment are wrong. If something is replaced that requires an alignment afterward, that should be covered, because it is part of the assembly instructions. Everything is based off of the FACTORY service manuals. Every manufacturer states how much time it should take to fix the problem, and how to go about fixing it, and that is how they reimburse the service dept. If your front shocks/springs need fixing for some reason and it's covered under warranty, best believe that they will do an alignment, since it's REQUIRED. Them not doing an alignment would be like the dealership doing an oil change and not changing the filter.

Either way, the extended warranty, depending on the coverage level, has MANY things that ARE covered and EXPENSIVE to fix if broken. Assuming that you get the highest coverage, all the electronics are covered and the A/C system is covered.

IMO, a nominal $1500 (retail price) for a warranty that covers all of that for my actual life of the car is well worth it.

EDIT: well, I can't tell if you're saying NOT to go with an extended warranty, or just to NOT go with a non-factory extended warranty. But, IMO, it's factory extended warranty or bust. You pretty much know that it'll be covered at EVERY dealership with no hassles and no issues.

Last edited by mikes rx; 11-17-07 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-17-07, 07:59 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Whats up with the I'm wrong, you're right crap ??

Purpose of my post was to inform what anyone maybe potentially facing with an extended warranty contract and that not everything is covered like a 4 year /50k mile bumper to bumper warranty. I do base these finding by working on these cars everyday.

I did mention that the investment is worth while didn't I? Heck last month I had an SC430 come thru the shop with a $6400 repair bill that was covered by extended warranty. Last week I also had an RX300 with a damaged transmission bearing in the pump and both these vehicles extended warranty contracts were fractions of their actual repair bills.
Old 11-17-07, 08:05 PM
mikes rx

Read my edit.

BTW, all of my right/wrong stuff is based off factory extended warranty. You may be right if you're referring to 3rd party extended warranties, as they may do some shady stuff to get out of paying.
Old 11-17-07, 08:50 PM
cruxader
Rookie

my issue with the extended warranty is that in my experience with Lexus products, there haven't been any issues between the 4 and 7 year timeframe. My failures all occured in the 8-10 year mark, which means the extra 3 years were useless.
Old 11-17-07, 08:55 PM
istundra
Pole Position

thank you all for your replies...

I am actually referring to the Lexus Extended Warranty.. not 3rd Party.
Old 11-17-07, 11:54 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Here's his email address too.

TDietrich@toyotaofgreenfield.com

Do me a favor and ask about the best 7/75 warranty cost.
This is a Lexus extended warranty, right?
Old 11-18-07, 01:12 AM
istundra
Pole Position

I just wanted the difference in coverage between Factory Standard Warranty vrs. Lexus Extended Warranty.

Of course, wear & tear is not covered.

From my experience, with Factory Standard Warranty, it is bumper to bumper.

DOes the extended warranty extend Bumper to Bumper?

I know toyota is total BS.. they do not cover internal trim piece malfunctions.. such as locking mechanisms in storage compartments.
Old 11-18-07, 05:06 AM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by istundra
I just wanted the difference in coverage between Factory Standard Warranty vrs. Lexus Extended Warranty.

Of course, wear & tear is not covered.

From my experience, with Factory Standard Warranty, it is bumper to bumper.

DOes the extended warranty extend Bumper to Bumper?

I know toyota is total BS.. they do not cover internal trim piece malfunctions.. such as locking mechanisms in storage compartments.
Honestly, the best way to find out would probably be to go to your dealership and ask to see the extended warranty details. I believe that there are like 4 different plans to choose from, that go anywhere from basic powertrain all the way up to things like A/C, ABS, all electronics, etc. The paperwork will detail exactly what's covered, and exactly what's not.

Last edited by mikes rx; 11-18-07 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-18-07, 05:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ES3
This is a Lexus extended warranty, right?
Yes it is!

Buying a manufacturers warranty is a crapshoot.
Discounted it's worth it to me considering the cost of Lexus repairs.
Remember that Toyota quality has been falling.

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-18-07 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty to 100K COverage?