IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

BUSTED for no front plate.....in rural Texas

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 02:04 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPstyle
I go tpulled over yesterday, for speeding, 73 in a 55. I thought ****, I got so much to write up a "fix it" for...

ANyway they guy did a walk around, even said you know you have to have a plate, told me I looked a litle dark... but then only wrote me up for the speeding and decided to make it 73 in a 65.

I was lucky.
Old 11-11-07, 02:22 AM
IS-MIKE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weesped
hummm, if it was me i would never pass a popo. they can be going 5 miles in a 50 mile zone, n i dare not pass. u know cops love to go on power trips, so dont even give them a reason to pull u over or what not.
I agree, the only time I'll pass a cop is if they are exiting the roadway or if they were going faster and they slowed down because they got stuck behind a slower vehicle. Some cops will pull you over for passing them, my GF got pulled over for doing that once. The cop yelled at her for a while then let her go.
Old 11-11-07, 02:26 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

yup. cops just go on power trips. they need to be ahead of every one. so u just gota let them have their way. n odds are you can prob get out of alota tickets. like around where i live, theres this ridiculous 4 lane roads...with a 25mph speed limit. its pretty retarded, and its a hotspot for cops n they always give speeding tickets. theres a this one that drives a white convertible, that all of my friends always gets tickets from. but the one time i got pulled over i let him have his way, kept saying sorry n what not, and i got out of it . no tickets to date...woot!
Old 11-11-07, 02:41 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yup. cops just go on power trips. they need to be ahead of every one. so u just gota let them have their way. n odds are you can prob get out of alota tickets. like around where i live, theres this ridiculous 4 lane roads...with a 25mph speed limit. its pretty retarded, and its a hotspot for cops n they always give speeding tickets. theres a this one that drives a white convertible, that all of my friends always gets tickets from. but the one time i got pulled over i let him have his way, kept saying sorry n what not, and i got out of it . no tickets to date...woot!
pssh... i got a 59 in a 35, turning off the pali going towards nalo, cop was at the firehouse... i played it cool and he wrote me up for 59 in a 45. $127bucks... i couldnt even find the new kaneohe court house, i kept driving past city mill/nissan, been so long since i had a ticket... 1989... Course it was a 7:30am comming back from the airport so driving at a unfamiliar 'time'... it was a good time to ask him about the pedestrian crosswalk laws, got a vague answer in return...
Old 11-11-07, 09:28 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carchitect
Since installing the ft plate is non reversable, I won't install it and take the ticket if necessary. Its a non-moving violation in ticksass anyways. I make it pretty clear that I won't be installing the plate on there either so he has the option of giving me a ticket or simply not worrying about it. One of my supra friends goes home and installs the plates with suckers onto the windshield and takes a picture and goes to have a word with the judge. He's gotten everyone one of them dismissed that ways. I usually just extend the ticket till it gets dismissed or end up paying the $95 for it. I do make it hard for them to get my money but I alos look at it as a wash for how many time I should've been pulled over but didn't.

I think they do need to get a life if that is actually an offense. I'd be targetting the ones who cause traffic jambs by travelling slow in the passing lane.
You must have time on your hands to play games by trying to extend the ticket until it is dismissed, or eventually paying the $95 if you lose. Don't know about you but I'm too busy to mess around trying to play head games with the law. Whether or not the front plate law makes sense to you or me, it's the law. I got caught and was given the warning, the front plate was installed this morning. No big deal and I don't have to worry about further hassles.
Old 11-11-07, 09:44 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
pssh... i got a 59 in a 35, turning off the pali going towards nalo, cop was at the firehouse... i played it cool and he wrote me up for 59 in a 45. $127bucks... i couldnt even find the new kaneohe court house, i kept driving past city mill/nissan, been so long since i had a ticket... 1989... Course it was a 7:30am comming back from the airport so driving at a unfamiliar 'time'... it was a good time to ask him about the pedestrian crosswalk laws, got a vague answer in return...
haha, well a couple months back i got into a accident, n i was turning at about...50 on a 25 on ramp, n ended up losing control of my car (ya thats not the point). but then when the cop came, i didnt get a ticket or any thing. no reckless driving, no speeing, i didnt even have to pay for property damage. all cause i started to talk story with the guy. he asked me what happened (i was driving a 02 c230) n i told him "idk i just lost control of the car" and he told me "u should have told ur parents to get u a amg then u would have never lost control" lol. and then the guy just went back to his suv, where he was watching videos off his ipod to his lcd screen, n had a beer open. lmao popos
Old 11-11-07, 10:13 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-MIKE
I agree, the only time I'll pass a cop is if they are exiting the roadway or if they were going faster and they slowed down because they got stuck behind a slower vehicle. Some cops will pull you over for passing them, my GF got pulled over for doing that once. The cop yelled at her for a while then let her go.
That happened to me on a 65 mph highway. It's common for people to drive 5-10 mph over the speed limit w/o the troopers pulling you over. Well I decided tp pass a trooper who was driving in the far left lane. He was doing 60 to 65 and I was at about 70 when I passed him. After about a minute or so, I see the flashing lights. So I pull over and all and he comes to the car saying that I went over the speed limit and asked why I was driving fast. I basically said that it's common for drivers to go over speed limit w/o the troopers pulling them over. We ended up sharing a couple of laughs about the local sports teams. No ticket, no warning. But I agree that cops don't like to be passed at least when driving at highway speeds since that one pulled me over.
Old 11-11-07, 10:25 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

We’ve been down this path before. Nobody here seems to understand that there is a reason why many States require front plates. It’s so law enforcement can better identify a bad guy coming toward them from the opposite direction. This is how they could spot bank robbers, child kidnappers or car thieves from opposing traffic when they already know the plate number. It’s not a cure all, but it’s an additional tool that can help in some situations.

To ignore this just so your car can look more “cool” it a bit short-sighted in my view. Besides breaking the law, it shows a self-centered attitude that is not very flattering.

Furthermore, and perhaps even more important, to put yourself in a position of being pulled over for something as minor as this, where they can then find other, more serious things, like no seat belt on, no current insurance or registration papers, illegal mods or having had one too many beers at that party you’re coming from, is, frankly, foolish. You could be telling a story later of how you ended up in jail for two days and got your driver’s license suspended for a year because you had no front plate!
Old 11-11-07, 10:40 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Magellan
Furthermore, and perhaps even more important, to put yourself in a position of being pulled over for something as minor as this, where they can then find other, more serious things...
Yeah that is a very valid 'common sense' point too... Dont give them an excuse
Old 11-11-07, 02:40 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Sometimes it is easier to just be a good scout and play by the rules.
I couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by Magellan
Besides breaking the law, it shows a self-centered attitude that is not very flattering.
Yep, it sort of reminds me of the "aesthete" who want to defeat the DRL system in the name of not wasting energy.

Some people seem to have a nearly limitless capacity to justify their own foolishness.

Last edited by CRB; 11-11-07 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-11-07, 08:17 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

We need to hold weekly meetings for this common problem.

I'll start:

Hi my name is Joe and I don't have a front plate....
Old 11-11-07, 10:57 PM
iameric
Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
It is quite common here for owners to ignore the front plate requirement in those states that require both plates, for 'aesthetic' reasons. My IS has both plates. But I was driving my WRX today from Austin after my wife and I went to the 'Taste of Lexus' event in Austin this morning (very well run, I might add). I was driving on US 290 about 10 miles from Johnson City, in the middle of absolute nowhere, when a Blanco County sherriff pulls out in front of me. I check my speed (70 mph, the speed limit) and notice the trooper is moving slow in front of me. Anyway, I pass him and and he immediately turns his lights on and pulls me over. He cites me for NO FRONT PLATES on my WRX! I had previously had the WRX in Nova Scotia, Canada for 2 1/2 years and they don't require a front plate, and when I brought the car back to TX in August 2006 I didn't reinstall the front plate as required in Texas. OK, call me lazy, but he had me. He just gave me a warning, but just remember, it is a crapshoot as to whether you get pulled over. And once they pull you over it is open season to check, a) driver's license, b) insurance, c) registration, d) booze, or e) anything else that looks 'suspicious' to them. I wasn't hiding anything, but who needs the hassle of getting pulled over and having them run your details through the state's DMV and having them do a virtual 'proctology' exam on your current situation? I DON'T! So on went the front plate this evening.

Everyone can do what they want, of course, but I don't like getting pulled over by the popo's. Sometimes it is easier to just be a good scout and play by the rules.
ouch I know how you feel, I was on my way back to school (Texas Tech) one weekend which is a five hour drive from dallas, and about two hours outside of dallas in some bumble- town I got stopped in my honda accord for not having front plates. the cops also decided to search the car, even though i said no to a search, and happened to find some some weed and paraphernalia in the trunk. my friend and i both went to jail and it was all for not having a front license plate, in the end the case got dismissed for an illegal search and seizure but still it was a hassle. now i drive my lexus too and from texas tech and I still don't have a license plate, but so far i've passed like 10 cops in the past few months and they havent done anything.
Old 11-11-07, 11:21 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

fwak the police
Old 11-12-07, 12:25 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by iameric
and happened to find some some weed and paraphernalia in the trunk.
See... thats why whenever you buy a used car, you should always clean it out first before using it
Old 11-12-07, 05:16 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

hummm, if it was me i would never pass a popo. they can be going 5 miles in a 50 mile zone, n i dare not pass. u know cops love to go on power trips, so dont even give them a reason to pull u over or what not.
Kind of a quandry, isn't it. Don't pass him, and he looks in his rear view and sees you have not front plate. Pass him, and who knows?

Quick Reply: BUSTED for no front plate.....in rural Texas