IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What Brand Fuel Injector Cleaner do you use?
Chevron w/ Techron
36.49%
Gumout
1.35%
STP
6.76%
Slick50
2.70%
Other
12.16%
Dont use any Fuel Injector Cleaners
44.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Has Anyone Used A Fuel Injection Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 08:23 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seafoam anyone? sea foam is supposibly one of the top feul injection cleaners. 6bucks a pop. it does more then clean injectors actually, there's a whole list of crap. u can even pour it in your oil to clean gunk n all. of course... thats only for high mileage engines. no part damagind additives. i have yet to try it on my IS350, but i have a bottle waiting. ive used it on cars in the pass with no probs.
Old 05-13-08, 08:47 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would advise against using any fuel additives. I would simply just stick with a repitable gas station and premium fuel. I always have great luck with Sheel and Mobil premiums.
Old 05-13-08, 08:57 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Chevron w/ Techron for me at the pump (no need for additives). My Chevron/Texaco card is abused
Old 05-13-08, 09:04 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Mobil is the same as Exxon; they are owned by the same company. The gasoline is identical at both stations, there is no difference. Perhaps you have heard of the little outfit called Exxon Mobil Corporation???

Top Tier gasoline is a marketing excercise to benefit the people who have signed on to the Top Tier program. From the web site: "The intention of the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards is to create a winning situation for gasoline retailers, auto manufacturers and drivers." When you see words like that, and when the driver comes after retailers and auto manufacturers, you can be sure MARKETING is at its core. The Top Tier idea was not developed for the driver's benefit, it was developed so oil marketers, retailers, and the car manufacturers who signed on to the program could advertise something that would give them a perceived edge in the marketplace from the consumers perspective. Just because Exxon, Mobil, BP or Valero is not on the list doesn't mean their fuels don't mean the same standards, it just means they didn't feel the need to purchase the rights to use the Top Tier label. Don't automatically think a program like Top Tier means you are actually getting a better quality product. If Top Tier was actually better than the others wouldn't the price be higher since supposedly the best, top quality additives are used? Reality shows prices for Top Tier fuels are no higher than non-Top Tier fuels. And one thing is certain, refining companies DO NOT give away anything in their product. It is a tightly controlled business where giving away octane or putting something in the fuel that can't be paid back on the retail level is a cardinal sin.

I've used Exxon and Mobil products about 90% of the time over the last 30 years and have never had any fuel problems either with carburetor, or fuel injected engines, including turbos and high performance motorcycles. So explain to me why I should be using Top Tier fuel in my vehicles?
Well said

I use Mobile 100% of the time in all my vehicle as well and never have any issues. I do use the Techron Fuel injector cleaner, but only because I sit my IS350 for the winter and put it in after I take it out of storage. Otherwise I never use it at all in my other vehicles.

..and I thought Gas in Canada was crap...?
Old 05-13-08, 09:46 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just simply fill it up with Chevron since Techron is already mixed in there.
Old 05-14-08, 08:59 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TLP_IS350
seafoam anyone? sea foam is supposibly one of the top feul injection cleaners. 6bucks a pop. it does more then clean injectors actually, there's a whole list of crap. u can even pour it in your oil to clean gunk n all. of course... thats only for high mileage engines. no part damagind additives. i have yet to try it on my IS350, but i have a bottle waiting. ive used it on cars in the pass with no probs.
I did use SeaFom in my old 1990 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible back in the day which had a throttle body and was notorious for carbon build-up. It worked like a champ, but always emitted a thick white smoke as it passed through the fuel system. I don't think I want to run it through the direct injectors.
Old 05-14-08, 11:13 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

take it 0n the interstate and WOT! Havent used it yet
Old 05-15-08, 06:33 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iialcii
take it 0n the interstate and WOT!
WOT doesn't cause the injector to open bigger or spray harder, so WOT shouldn't have any cleaning effect on the injector. WOT just makes them spray for a longer period of time before they close.
Old 05-15-08, 12:11 PM
HighImStan
Pole Position

i used Lucas on my 94 E320 and it made HUGE difference in MPG. before I used that stuff, I was getting about 290 miles on one tank. afterwards, I was getting anywhere between 340-350! i now use that stuff after every oil change and I average 23.8 MPG on my is350. pretty good.
Old 05-15-08, 12:22 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

^^^ It would be better to use the additive BEFORE you change the oil. That way you wouldn't be contaminating your fresh oil with whatever junk comes out of the injectors.
Old 05-15-08, 11:13 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always though the faster you go, the harder the injectors spray. In reference to people saying, "blowing out carbons" and such.
Old 10-27-09, 09:35 AM
H-I-M
Driver

What vacum line do you guys use for the seafoam?
Old 10-27-09, 05:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,846 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusIS-TL
I always though the faster you go, the harder the injectors spray. In reference to people saying, "blowing out carbons" and such.
No. They spray the same pretty much no matter what with a returnless fuel system. Blowing out the carbon is putting a load on the engine to get the carbon in the combustion chambers to burn off. It has nothing to do with the fuel injectors.

Water is the best decarbonizing tool you can use for an engine. Way better than any of these hydrocarbon based cleaners.
Old 10-28-09, 05:19 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

This is the best FI cleaner I have used!

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/api.aspx

Koz
Old 10-28-09, 02:26 PM
A/C
Driver

Why not use the official Toyota injector cleaner? They recommend it exactly for engines that we have on our IS

Most likely Toyota uses some other manufacturer's fluid and simply puts its brand on it, but atleast I don't know that manufacturer

I used the cleaner only once (after 50k miles) because I was given a bottle for free and atleast it didn't do anything bad

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Used A Fuel Injection Cleaner