IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

17 days of sitting ....... 1 dead battery .....

Old 10-26-07, 08:07 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 17 days of sitting ....... 1 dead battery .....

I work out of town so the IS may sit two or three weeks, and then I'll run it over a three day period of at least 200 - 300 miles. Almost all high speed driiving. No problems so far since August 2006. On Wednesday my wife tried to start the car to move it out of the garage and the car was dead as a doornail. She called me and since I didn't know if it was the fob battery or the main battery I had her turn on the emergency flashers. ZIP.

I got home tonight and the battery is completely discharged. Not a click or flicker of life in it. Cells are full, but zero charge. Jumped the car and it started right up. Drove it around a bit and all seems fine. I'm charging it now and am running it in to Lexus of Austin on Saturday morning. They said bring it right in, no appointment necessary. I know batteries can go bad pretty quickly, but a build date of 02/06 means the battery is less than two years old. Is the OEM stuff that crummy?

We'll see what happens tomorrow. I hope it is just the battery and not a ground fault or other problem draining the battery while the car is idle.

Last edited by Evitzee; 10-26-07 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-26-07, 08:20 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hm, i havnt had any trouble with batteries actually in all my car history.. but it sounds most likely like it is a battery issue

good luck =) let us kno how it turns out.. and i dont thinkkk the oem stuff is crappy lol
Old 10-26-07, 08:24 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh boy, I'll probably encounter this problem soon. I leave the states for 14 days, with my car sitting in the garage. Hope the car starts again! Good luck!
Old 10-26-07, 08:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Even aftermarket batteries have this problem (my Optima in my GS does as I don't drive it that often).

I picked up a small trickle charger that I keep hooked up to my car and have a quick-release clip on it - very convenient.

Examples

http://store.schumachermart.com/batt...-chargers.html
Old 10-26-07, 09:49 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Even aftermarket batteries have this problem (my Optima in my GS does as I don't drive it that often).

I picked up a small trickle charger that I keep hooked up to my car and have a quick-release clip on it - very convenient.

Examples

http://store.schumachermart.com/batt...-chargers.html
I use a Battery Tender on my motorcycles. They are smart chargers that won't overcharge the battery. Never have had a problem with the bike batteries, even after 4 years. Might have to get one for the IS and just plug it in when I go away.
Old 10-26-07, 11:06 PM
IS-MIKE
Driver

Is it possible that a door was left ajar? I've heard of the security system continually looking for the smart key can kill the battery pretty fast on some Toyotas.

My parents have a Prius with a smart key and they left the door ajar and after 4 days of sitting the 12v battery was flat. I think they said that the Toyota mechanic told them the computer or security system drained the battery because the door wasn't completely shut. Now my mom is totally paranoid about making sure the doors are shut on their car.
Old 10-26-07, 11:08 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Ahh... What a pain to have to deal with this upon returning from out of town. Glad your IS started right up after being jumped.

I thought I read in the IS owner's manual something to the effect that the car should not sit for more than 28 days as the battery may drain due to the electronics being "on" even though the car is off.

I was wrong, my husband's C6 owners manual stated that. I wouldn't be surprised if it held true with the IS. After all, the IS seems to run with more computer power than the Corvette.
Old 10-27-07, 04:10 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hey, so... 3 weeks ago my i was in my car, talking on the bluetooth with someone, i have a system as well, so the amp and all the goodies were powered on. i had my cell charging, mydome lights on, and my radar detector plugged in. the car was in the ON mode. after about 35 minutes my car didn't start. so me and my friend jumped it and it's been fine ever since. i doubt going to a dealer is imperative, but hey, play it safe.
Old 10-27-07, 04:27 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexHiD
Oh boy, I'll probably encounter this problem soon. I leave the states for 14 days, with my car sitting in the garage. Hope the car starts again! Good luck!
You probably won't have a problem. I've left my car for 2.5 weeks a couple of times and haven't had an issue -- it fired right up when I got home.
Old 10-27-07, 05:29 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I work out of town so the IS may sit two or three weeks, and then I'll run it over a three day period of at least 200 - 300 miles. Almost all high speed driiving. No problems so far since August 2006. On Wednesday my wife tried to start the car to move it out of the garage and the car was dead as a doornail. She called me and since I didn't know if it was the fob battery or the main battery I had her turn on the emergency flashers. ZIP.

I got home tonight and the battery is completely discharged. Not a click or flicker of life in it. Cells are full, but zero charge. Jumped the car and it started right up. Drove it around a bit and all seems fine. I'm charging it now and am running it in to Lexus of Austin on Saturday morning. They said bring it right in, no appointment necessary. I know batteries can go bad pretty quickly, but a build date of 02/06 means the battery is less than two years old. Is the OEM stuff that crummy?

We'll see what happens tomorrow. I hope it is just the battery and not a ground fault or other problem draining the battery while the car is idle.
wow. My dad's '98 LS 400's straight-from-the-factory battery lasted til 2006. it still worked but my dad just swapped it out for a new one anyway when he switched out the water pump and belts. I believe the car had about 110,000 miles on it then
Old 10-27-07, 06:18 AM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Thats odd, i usually dont drive the IS in the winter. I had it sit in the garage all winter last yr. IT was fine.
Old 10-27-07, 07:47 AM
Ryoma111
Driver

Almost the same thing happened to me a month ago with my IS. It was sitting there for 2 1/2 weeks while I was out of town. When I came back the door handle sensor didn't unlock and none of the interior lights turned on when I was able to get it. But the car did start though! Drove it around for a while and it has been fine since.
Old 10-27-07, 08:07 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

maybe you guys have something plugged in that's drawing power?
Old 10-27-07, 08:18 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexHiD
don't worry just disconnect it (negative first) and it will start with no problem,i left mine for 2 months and now after 2.5 months i have no problems at all.

of course some of the settings will be restored to defaults.
Old 10-27-07, 09:08 AM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A.C Milan
don't worry just disconnect it (negative first) and it will start with no problem,i left mine for 2 months and now after 2.5 months i have no problems at all.

of course some of the settings will be restored to defaults.
good to know . Ill resort to the manual for restoring defaults. Thanks for the info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 17 days of sitting ....... 1 dead battery .....