IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tungsten Pearl Touch-up Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-07, 05:42 PM
vmishka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tungsten Pearl Touch-up Paint

I scratched the bumper of my Tungsten Pearl 2006 IS 250 (thin linear scratch). I just want to use some touch-up paint to make the blemish less noticeable. I don't expect perfection, just improvement. Still, the color of the paint I use has to match the paint on the car.

I ordered Tungsten Pearl (1G1) touch-up paint (in pen form) from PaintScratch.com. They have sent the order twice (they claim the color is Tungsten Pearl Metallic) and both times the paint is very dark compared to the color of the car. At this point, they are sure that the color they sent matches the color chip they have on file but the paint is too dark. The car is only 1 year old and the paint has not faded in any way.

Has anyone had this experience? Does anyone have experience with touch-up paint for Tungsten Pearl and how to get some that matches the car to fix a scratch?

Thank you.
Old 10-26-07, 05:55 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Touch up paint for Lexus colors that come in "pearl" is a challenge. Often there are two touch up paints. The first is the base color paint, the second is the pearl. My experience with the pearl is to simply use the base color as it blends better than using both the base and the pearl.

If I ever have a large area to touch up (larger than a tiny chip), I would experiment by mixing the base and pearl colors together, then apply to the car.
Good Luck!
Old 10-26-07, 06:00 PM
vmishka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
Touch up paint for Lexus colors that come in "pearl" is a challenge. Often there are two touch up paints. The first is the base color paint, the second is the pearl. My experience with the pearl is to simply use the base color as it blends better than using both the base and the pearl.

If I ever have a large area to touch up (larger than a tiny chip), I would experiment by mixing the base and pearl colors together, then apply to the car.
Good Luck!
I was sent one pen with paint (labeled Tungsten Pearl Metallic 1G1) and one pen with clear coat (along with paint thinner and a rubbing compound). The actual paint in the pen is a much darker shade of silver than the true color of the paint on the car.
Old 10-26-07, 07:30 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

The pen top unscrews which yields a fine brush. Often the brush works best. Be sure to shake the bottles good. Paint tends to dry lighter. You can always test a spot that is out of site. The paint takes time to dry, so a damp rag can wipe the paint off.
Old 10-26-07, 09:58 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

I have the touch up paint from Lexus, it is 1G1 and has a P/N of 00258001G121
Old 10-27-07, 10:24 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default hope this helps....

this is what I got from Canada....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=314578

PM me if you need more info
Old 10-27-07, 10:27 AM
GNG
Rookie

I have the touch up paint from Lexus. At first it looks way too dark, then dries to the right color. Be careful, however. I accidentally got some on the actual paint (versus the chip area) and it indeed dried darker. I'll try to rub it out later.
Old 10-29-07, 05:07 PM
vmishka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GNG
I have the touch up paint from Lexus. At first it looks way too dark, then dries to the right color. Be careful, however. I accidentally got some on the actual paint (versus the chip area) and it indeed dried darker. I'll try to rub it out later.
Thank you for this information. Paintscratch claims it is the correct color.