IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AWD or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-07, 08:12 AM
caffecapri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD or not?

Looking for a little help. I am looking for an IS250 for my wife (and upcoming baby). We live in Texas, but visit Colorado once or twice a year. I am debating whether or not to get the AWD option. The only reasons I consider it are:

1. More stability/safety in the rain? (although she has never had an issue with her 2wd 4Runner and I feel totally safe for her in that).

2. More safety for our annual Colorado trip.

Any input here from owners of either the 2wd or AWD IS? I think I know what my answer should be, just wanted some first hand experience to help me out.

Thank you in advance and looking forward to being a fellow Lexus owner.

Rami
Old 10-18-07, 08:15 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

good choice of car first off =)

i currently have the AWD, but i live in NY so i have to deal with the snowy crappy winters, although i really dont feel much of a down about it in the summer, and the AWD works nicely in the snow esp. if you hvae proper tires
Old 10-18-07, 08:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by caffecapri
Looking for a little help. I am looking for an IS250 for my wife (and upcoming baby).

Rami

Dealing with a the baby's car seat in back will be tough.Better check that out first.
I bought my daughter's IS 250AWD because she had a problem with space in the car with the new baby.With a car seat in back,the front seat has to be moved forward which makes it tough for a passenger to sit.
She bought a new 4Runner.

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-18-07 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-18-07, 08:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Dealing with a the baby's car seat in back will be tough.Better check that out first.
I bought my daughter's IS 250AWD because she had a problem with space in the car with the new baby.With a car seat in back,the front seat has to be moved forward which makes it tough for a passenger to sit.
She bought a new 4Runner.
I know this doesn't really answer your question of RWD or AWD, but either way, you had better bring the car seats with you for the test drive.

Over the first year, you will have 3 stages of car seats: (1) the infant car seat; (2) the convertible car seat for infant/toddler facing backwards; and (3) number (2) facing forwards.

Unless there is a 6'+ person in front, number (3) should be no problem. Number (1) may be a problem, and number (2) will undoubtedly be a problem. The tranny tunnel and rear seat contour makes the middle of the back seat difficult if not impossible for a car seat, especially the infant seat--it may flip to the sides on turns. You may be able to fit the seat in by moving the front seat all the way up--but,like Joeb said, that won't be too fun for the trip to CO.

I personally didn't think the G35x was as nice as the IS 250, but the back seat was definitely bigger.

Last edited by tex2670; 10-18-07 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-18-07, 12:19 PM
caffecapri
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the car seat info...this is our first and we will be buying the car seat this weekend. Time to take it to the dealer to "test fit." I do definetely want the car seat to be in the middle (safety paranoid) so that hump may prove to be an issue. Thanks for the suggestions...and keep them coming.

Rami
Old 10-18-07, 12:25 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you for the car seat info...this is our first and we will be buying the car seat this weekend. Time to take it to the dealer to "test fit." I do definetely want the car seat to be in the middle (safety paranoid) so that hump may prove to be an issue. Thanks for the suggestions...and keep them coming.

Rami
Like Tex says,I don't think the seat will work on the hump.Even if it does,you then may have to move both fronts seats forward.
Old 10-18-07, 12:37 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Rami
Remember that when the baby out grows the infant seat, and moves to the convertible seat facing backwards, it's going to take up much more room. So even if you get the infant seat in there ok, you may run into a problem when the baby is bigger.

My prior car was a 2000 TL, which didn't have the bottom latch anchors. If you place the seat in the middle, latch it in tight, and pull on it side-to-side, not just forward. The day that I looked in the mirror and saw that the infant seat had tipped on its side when I went around a curve, I moved it from the "safest" center seat to the side. Had no such problems in my Saturn SL, though, which had a flat rear seat.
Old 10-18-07, 12:40 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Like Tex says,I don't think the seat will work on the hump.Even if it does,you then may have to move both fronts seats forward.
Works fine for me. All rear-facing seats will give you problems as far as front seat locations. Some are a bit smaller than others, but it is something you will have to deal with nonetheless.

The wife tells me that she's had two rear-facing car seats in the back with no problem (apart from being a bit tight).
Old 10-18-07, 12:43 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Remember that when the baby out grows the infant seat, and moves to the convertible seat facing backwards, it's going to take up much more room. So even if you get the infant seat in there ok, you may run into a problem when the baby is bigger.

My prior car was a 2000 TL, which didn't have the bottom latch anchors. If you place the seat in the middle, latch it in tight, and pull on it side-to-side, not just forward. The day that I looked in the mirror and saw that the infant seat had tipped on its side when I went around a curve, I moved it from the "safest" center seat to the side. Had no such problems in my Saturn SL, though, which had a flat rear seat.
All infant seats face backward (with the child looking out the back window) until 1 year or 20 lbs. This is a federal regulation. There is NO situation where you go from forward-facing to rear-facing as the child grows. If that's what you are doing, you might want to re-read the manual.
Old 10-18-07, 12:46 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
All infant seats face backward (with the child looking out the back window) until 1 year or 20 lbs. This is a federal regulation. There is NO situation where you go from forward-facing to rear-facing as the child grows. If that's what you are doing, you might want to re-read the manual.
Not sure where you are reading forward-facing to rear facing.

You can't fit a 20 pound baby in an infant car seat (with the base in the car, that snaps out?)--try carrying that around the mall. When the baby gets too big for the infant car seat, you move to a convertible, and when the baby gets 20 pounds or 1 year, you turn it around forward.

It is not a federal regulation. There are state laws governing use of child seats, but I highly doubt they go into such detail. Especially since a DR. can tell you it's ok to turn the seat around before hitting those criteria.

For a Sox fan, here's the MASS law:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-7aa.htm

Last edited by tex2670; 10-18-07 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-18-07, 01:00 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

only if u drive in snow often would u need it... otherwise its more of a burden...with more repairs... lower mpg... slower acceleration...ect.
Old 10-18-07, 01:17 PM
caffecapri
Driver School Candidate

I'm assuming that when we buy the seat, test fitting it will show any obvious disadvantages correct?

She is 5'4" and I am 5'8" so we are not going to have the seats pushed back as much as some. Thanks so much for the continued information.
Old 10-18-07, 01:24 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Remember that when the baby out grows the infant seat, and moves to the convertible seat facing backwards, it's going to take up much more room.
I am reading it where you wrote it.

You are correct about it being defined at the state level. My apologies. Federal Law only states that car seats are required, but does not go into detail.

Edit: I read it again and assumed that since you mentioned 'facing backwards' that it was a change from the previous orientation. Instead, re-reading it, I think you meant that it is a convertible seat facing backwards instead of forwards. Again, apologies. I just see WAY too many people doing it the wrong way.

Last edited by FiveOhNine; 10-18-07 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-18-07, 01:27 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
I am reading it where you wrote it.

You are correct about it being defined at the state level. My apologies. Federal Law only states that car seats are required, but does not go into detail.
Yes--the baby moves from Seat 1 (which only can be installed in one position--rear facing) to Seat 2, which will initially be placed in the car facing backwards:

"Remember that when the baby out grows the infant seat, and moves to the convertible seat facing backwards, it's going to take up much more room"

Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's all good.
Old 10-18-07, 01:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tires are more important for inclement weather than AWD...

RWD is fine with the right set of tires.
AWD is worse if you've got crappy tires.

Quick Reply: AWD or not?