IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

This may be a dumb ? (TPMS battery)

Old 10-08-07, 10:05 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default This may be a dumb ? (TPMS battery)

Does the TPM`s have batteries? My wife`s Tahoe is having ramdom TPM codes, and it got me thinking about how they work.
And if so can they be changed?

Last edited by HKS350; 10-08-07 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-08-07, 10:19 AM
llhelix
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I found somewhere...

"when I had my OEM rims replaced by aftermarket ones, a damaged TPM sensor was found and I have to replace it. When a sensor was missing, the car beeps 5 times for every 2 and a half minutes and tire pressure warnning light keeps flashing.

I called up a lexus dealer to check on the price. It costs about $200 before tax for one sensor. I did not like dealer's price and luckly enought I found the parts from Internet and it costs about $100. After sensor was installed back to my car, the beeping and flashing wont go away. I went back to dealer and thought that must be a simple setup thing, but it turned out that they have to unmount all four tires in order to have the code for each sensor so that they could reprogram the controller. They need 4 hour to do that. The labor cost is $85-$150 per hour so it's running at $340-$600 to get controller reprogrammed. I still could not understand why they need to reprogram 4 instead of 1 since I only have one new sensor.

I did ask them few more questions reagrding to the sensor itself and here are what I learned

The sensor is not a passive part, it have a battery built-in. The battery can only last 4 years! Flat battery can not be changed since it's built-in, meaning that when battery is run out, the sensor has to be replaced!"

...hope that helps. This was for a Lexus SC430. Don't know what exact TPM system the Tahoe uses, but I assume the technology isn't significantly different.
Old 10-08-07, 10:28 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

this is what i was thinking. $$$$$$$ down the drain
Old 10-08-07, 12:59 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by llhelix
The sensor is not a passive part, it have a battery built-in. The battery can only last 4 years! Flat battery can not be changed since it's built-in, meaning that when battery is run out, the sensor has to be replaced!"
Whaa...??? Well i hope its covered under warranty.
Old 10-08-07, 01:52 PM
maz
Lead Lap

I heard the battery for the IS TPMS will last for about 10 years. I had to replace one of my sensors once since I broke it - cost me about $120.
Old 10-08-07, 02:44 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

I went back to dealer and thought that must be a simple setup thing, but it turned out that they have to unmount all four tires in order to have the code for each sensor so that they could reprogram the controller. They need 4 hour to do that. The labor cost is $85-$150 per hour so it's running at $340-$600 to get controller reprogrammed. I still could not understand why they need to reprogram 4 instead of 1 since I only have one new sensor.
If you had saved the broken sensor, they only would have had to dismount the one tire with the new sensor to get its number. If you didn't save the old sensor, they'd need to dismount all four because they wouldn't know which of the four numbers in the TPMS controller was for the sensor that was replaced.

Even if they had to dismount all four tires, that labor quote is ridiculous. Dismounting and remounting and balancing four tires is an hour job at most; plus another half hour to reprogram with the scan tool

The sensor is not a passive part, it have a battery built-in. The battery can only last 4 years!
The battery in the TPMS sensors for Lexus is a lithium type rated to last 10 years.
Old 10-08-07, 04:24 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm disappointed the creators of TPMS didn't come up with some way to self charge the sensors using kenetic enerty of the spinning wheel... kind of like a self winding watch.
Old 10-08-07, 04:59 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ LOL. Sure, can you imagine how much it'd cost to replace THAT if you had a major flat or nailed a big pothole/curb ? (Think Rolex vs Seiko)

I'd rather Lexus figure out how to show which sensor is low on the MDS. That and sync the clock to the Nav . . .
Old 10-08-07, 05:18 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
^ LOL. Sure, can you imagine how much it'd cost to replace THAT if you had a major flat or nailed a big pothole/curb ? (Think Rolex vs Seiko)
I've never had a watch that cost more than 2 TPMS sensors, and several of them were self winding. On the other hand, I wasn't suggesting that the self charging sensor would be mechanical. I figured it would be a coil that used induction from the moving iron (relative to the sensor) to create a charge.
Old 10-08-07, 05:46 PM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

The battery in the TPMS sensors for Lexus is a lithium type rated to last 10 years.
and the remote's battery is rated to last a year while it actually barely last 6months.
Old 10-08-07, 06:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
...The battery in the TPMS sensors for Lexus is a lithium type rated to last 10 years.
Sad to say, but the FSM says 5 years for the grommet, so after 5 years it's coming off no matter what. They say nothing about the battery except that it cannot be replaced. I would suspect one could start a business buying old pressure sensors with dead batteries and replacing them though.
Old 10-08-07, 06:16 PM
dan206
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
If you had saved the broken sensor, they only would have had to dismount the one tire with the new sensor to get its number. If you didn't save the old sensor, they'd need to dismount all four because they wouldn't know which of the four numbers in the TPMS controller was for the sensor that was replaced.

Even if they had to dismount all four tires, that labor quote is ridiculous. Dismounting and remounting and balancing four tires is an hour job at most; plus another half hour to reprogram with the scan tool.
Well I had mine put on 20's and they broke one in doing so because the tires are such a bit$% to get on around the adapter with it. This is the way how they found which one is broken The dealer's computer reads the amount of pressure in each tire in real time. They deflate and inflate them one at a time to see which one each sensor is reading. Then by process of elimination figure out which ones is damaged from which one does not work. Then I had to take it to discount tire to get it taken out because they do not have equipment to handle a 20' rim at the dealer. So Discount installed a new one (remember to write down the code of the sensor). Then took it back to the dealer they reprogrammed it to the car in 10 mins. Costed Discount tire 250 bucks roughly 150 for the sensor 100 for hr labor.

there you go.

Last edited by dan206; 10-09-07 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-08-07, 07:09 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sad to say, but the FSM says 5 years for the grommet, so after 5 years it's coming off no matter what. They say nothing about the battery except that it cannot be replaced. I would suspect one could start a business buying old pressure sensors with dead batteries and replacing them though.
million dollar idea!!
Old 10-09-07, 06:14 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dan206
... This is the way how they found which one is broken The computer reads the amount of pressure in each tire in real time. They deflate and inflate them one at a time to see which one each sensor is reading. Then by process of elimination figure out which ones is damaged from which one does not work. ...
I don't see this working very well. If one sensor is bad, the TPMS computer will simply report a problem. I don't think the computer tells how many problems there are, just that there is at least one problem. How could you do any elimination at all if the computer never tells you anything different?
Old 10-09-07, 06:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's what I found somewhere...

"when I had my OEM rims replaced by aftermarket ones, a damaged TPM sensor was found and I have to replace it. When a sensor was missing, the car beeps 5 times for every 2 and a half minutes and tire pressure warnning light keeps flashing.

I called up a lexus dealer to check on the price. It costs about $200 before tax for one sensor. I did not like dealer's price and luckly enought I found the parts from Internet and it costs about $100. After sensor was installed back to my car, the beeping and flashing wont go away. I went back to dealer and thought that must be a simple setup thing, but it turned out that they have to unmount all four tires in order to have the code for each sensor so that they could reprogram the controller. They need 4 hour to do that. The labor cost is $85-$150 per hour so it's running at $340-$600 to get controller reprogrammed. I still could not understand why they need to reprogram 4 instead of 1 since I only have one new sensor.

I did ask them few more questions reagrding to the sensor itself and here are what I learned

...hope that helps. This was for a Lexus SC430. Don't know what exact TPM system the Tahoe uses, but I assume the technology isn't significantly different.

More and more I'm thinking of going with a discounted Lexus best 7/100 warranty from a Toyota dealer in MA.
Around $1100 no sales tax for my 250AWD.
Probably go with the 7/75 for a couple hundred less.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This may be a dumb ? (TPMS battery)