IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Might get out of my IS350 for a C350!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-07, 11:21 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

didn't Consumer Report rate the benz as the most reliable car for 07?
Old 09-17-07, 11:23 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

saw this post on benz forum... I own a 2006 c-class. Although it drives nicely I have doubts about its reliability. But who knows newer c-class might be bulleproof... but I doubt it. If your lexus was reliable which I think was the case then MB reliability might disappoint you. Some people get lucky but a good number of people are stuck with a "new" car with problems. C350 is nothing special but AMG c-class is special. If you reallllyyyy like the c-class then just go straight to AMG version.
Old 09-17-07, 11:29 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Benz is quite a nice car. The interior is pretty nice, albeit a little hard and plasticky, but that's just Mercedes interiors for you in general. Lexus seating surfaces and materials are just a lot softer to the touch than Benz materials are. But I think the C350 is a very nice car; there are nice touches, like the panoramic sunroof. The C350 I test drove is defintiely underpowered compared to the IS350, though.
Old 09-17-07, 11:31 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

If I recall correctly, MB was dead last on the reliability ranking in the Consumer Reports auto issue this year. I know that many disagree with the editorial opinions in Consumer Reports, but this ranking wasn't subjective, it was mathematically calculated from problem reports in their annual readership survey. I've also read plenty of horror stories about the MB seven speed tranny.
Old 09-17-07, 11:39 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didn't Consumer Report rate the benz as the most reliable car for 07?
I don't remember much from the first half reliability report but JD Power reported Porsche as number one and Lexus as number 2.
Old 09-17-07, 11:39 AM
Jay Slay
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
That's a load of horse s#$%^ ........ Might as well take the german car then, huh?

Anyway, It's up to you and your tastes. If you like it better, buy it.
I am stating that german companies always UNDER quote their cars and performance. They are very torqey. I worked for an automotive company and have been in Phantoms, Lambo's, Benz and etc. Now I know the only thing keeping Benz alive is their styling and their engineering has been off.

But what I am saying is, although the IS is very powerful and fun to drive...it just doesn't handle and feel as tight as some of my buddie's bm's and benz's.

Plus it's a lease..if it goes in the dealer..as long as they fix it...that's all that matters..I will just use my Fiancee's altima coupe.
Old 09-17-07, 11:52 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
If I recall correctly, MB was dead last on the reliability ranking in the Consumer Reports auto issue this year. I know that many disagree with the editorial opinions in Consumer Reports, but this ranking wasn't subjective, it was mathematically calculated from problem reports in their annual readership survey. I've also read plenty of horror stories about the MB seven speed tranny.
Who cares, it's a lease. The beauty of a lease is you get to drive it like a rental for 3 years, thats how I treat my x5. Drifted through quite a few corners with it
Old 09-17-07, 11:56 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have sat in my friends new C350, and the interior is nowhere near as luxurious as ours. Even he feels the same way. It's very plastic looking. And as for reliability, well, I'm glad that you enjoy driving the Altima, as you'll be doing it a lot (or driving whatever loaner they give you). Seriously, I have many friends and neighbors with MB's, and they are always in the shop for something. Not a great choice unless you enjoy inconvenience.
Old 09-17-07, 11:58 AM
Jay Slay
Driver

yeah I know..a couple of my friends have the Benz. More of them have issues with their E Classes and CLK's. But my friend with his CLK63 Black Edition has yet to have an issue for an 08 model. 6 months of having it. Prior to that a supercharged SL500. Who knows..it's a risk..Maybe I just like to get in and out of new things...
Old 09-17-07, 12:01 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by linh811
Who cares, it's a lease. The beauty of a lease is you get to drive it like a rental for 3 years, thats how I treat my x5. Drifted through quite a few corners with it
I'll never understand this way of thinking. While it's true that the warranty will cover any issues that arise, who wants the aggravation of having to repeatedly bring the car back to the dealer to get things fixed that shouldn't go wrong, especially when spending that kind of $$$.
Old 09-17-07, 12:02 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

IMO, you are giving up reliability for name. Just wait for the C63.
Old 09-17-07, 12:05 PM
Jay Slay
Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'll never understand this way of thinking. While it's true that the warranty will cover any issues that arise, who wants the aggravation of having to repeatedly bring the car back to the dealer to get things fixed that shouldn't go wrong, especially when spending that kind of $$$.
I agree..Maybe I am just jumping on the band wagon. I might wait for c63..but that 6.3 V8 will be eating my gas. I am moving about 20 miles away from where I live now, and that might be an issue on gas soon. Being a sales guy...Money is never guaranteed.
Old 09-17-07, 12:14 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tex2670
I live literally across the street from lexus, MB, BMW, range rover etc... I call in advance and make an appointment, when I get there the loaner car is waiting for me, I'm in and out in about 1 minute. Plus I get a new loaner car to "test drive."

With Lexus it gets even better, they drive the loaner car to my work place and pick up my is350, when they're done with the work, they bring my car back and pick up the loaner car from whereever I'm at. No work at all...
Old 09-17-07, 12:17 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
yup~~~ i thought so also.. my post above was sarcasm if anyone didn't notice...
Old 09-17-07, 12:20 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

anyhow... to me .. reliability means a lot... yes, some may argue "i'm under lease and i'm covered." My argument to that would be , " if you're going to vegas from LA.. your car breaks down and you have couple of friends with you.. then what... "

Quick Reply: Might get out of my IS350 for a C350!?