IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Somebody hurt my baby!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-07, 01:52 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somebody hurt my baby!

Somebody hurt my baby! (for larger images, see my gallery, I've uploaded them on CL)
As best I can tell, this was not from a vehicle-vehicle accident. If it is, it occured in the parking lot at my place of business, residence, etc., within the last week.

The damage is centered around the RH fender-headlight area. The front of the fender and all of the headlight appear to have been pushed rearward and inboard about 1/8 of an inch. It appears to be damage from an impact, as the indentations that locate the bumper to the fender show signs of damage consistent with the fender being violently (or strongly) forced inward. The bumper shows no signs of damage (thank god).

Any input on to how this might have happened from the peanut gallery? My suspicions are a malicious truck bumper (gently) or a baseball bat (violently)...
Old 09-08-07, 01:59 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its always the GFM -___-
Old 09-08-07, 02:07 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, so is there a dent or scratch or anything? It looks like someone really heavy sat on your headlight or something...
Old 09-08-07, 02:15 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

There are no visible scratches or dents, with the exception of the deformation to the installation guides on the bumper. Its very strange.
Old 09-08-07, 02:45 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Do you back into parking spots looks like someone caught it while they were pulling in.
Old 09-08-07, 03:02 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Glacier Frost Mica is officially on the endangered species list... I don't know what's going on - sorry to hear about this!

Javier
Old 09-08-07, 03:58 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Whoa...javy...haven't been on in a while, but saw the pics of your ride...sorry to see that man, you're in way worse than i am...

A word of advice when the body shop is done: check the gaps and levelness around the rear door, bumper, taillight and trunklid...if it doesn't match left to right, there's something fishy. if they complain that its the best they can do, see if you can take it to another shop for a check. My mom uncovered the fatal damage to her car almost 1 year after it came out of the body shop with a bad hood fit. Turns out the underbody was irreparably damaged and poorly repaired.
Old 09-08-07, 10:53 PM
Zanorath
Pole Position

Its possible someone sat on the bumper. From my store window the other day I saw someone go and set their drink on the roof of my car and go and lean on it while they chatted with a friend, some people don't understand leaving other peoples cars in peace. Their reaction when I set off the alarm was almost worth it though.
Old 09-09-07, 03:42 AM
Krazyj604
Rookie

well it could just be the vibrations and strong wind forces that may have caused this and also the fact you may have a bad fitment with the vehicle to start with and after awhile it just got worse from the stated
Old 09-09-07, 08:24 AM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Krazyj604
well it could just be the vibrations and strong wind forces that may have caused this and also the fact you may have a bad fitment with the vehicle to start with and after awhile it just got worse from the stated
Vibrations and strong winds? This is a lot of force. The front of the fender is bolted to the bumper reinforcement and the motor compartment. Not exactly flimsy. Add to this that the headlight bolts to the fender and the radiator support. Same goes for someone sitting on it, unless it was someone very big.

Bad fitment? No. I'm a body fit engineer for Toyota, and the tolerance on those panels is 1/16 of an inch. Additionally, its not clear from the pictures, but there is what appears to be impact damage at the bumper-fender body line.
Old 09-09-07, 08:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Sorry to see this. Is it possible somebody was trying to steal your lights?
Old 09-09-07, 09:17 AM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

I bet it was George Dubya in his big **** truck trying to back up!

Sorry to hear that man! Hope everything works out. Long time no see. How's work going?
Old 09-09-07, 11:00 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Dood wtf is with ppl hating. I was at the gym, and when I got back to my car, there was a pretty intense dent, like someone realized, "Oh I just hit their car with my car door...lemme hit it again!...and AGAIN!" I'm getting it detailed at the 12 month service. It's black, so it's pretty visible, and it's on the driver side. It's ridiculous though.

Yeah Zan, at school I one time saw some underclassmen hanging around my car. I walk over to get something out of my car, I see some kid sitting on my hood, trying to look cool, so I just press the alarm button. Kid jumps off and nearly landed on his face. Did I feel sorry? Not so much.
Old 09-09-07, 12:53 PM
davidgaddy
Rookie

Things that haters do to folks cars.
Old 09-09-07, 01:37 PM
DevJ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey at least someone didn't ram into the side of your car lol

Quick Reply: Somebody hurt my baby!