IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TRD to make parts for Lexus....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-07, 08:19 PM
newis350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRD to make parts for Lexus....

Has anyone heard any RECENT rumors about TRD making performance parts for Lexus. I know in the past TRD was rumored to be making a supercharger for the IS300, but it never came to market. I was on the phone today with a rep. at TRD, and he said that TRD and Lexus are in discussions about making parts. However, he would not elaborate or give any possible timeline.

I would think that if TRD were to make parts, it would make sense to make something for the IS because it is the performance model for the Lexus line. What are your thoughts?

Old 09-05-07, 08:46 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I never heard this rumor... Dam school with your numbers and letters, I miss automotive news/rumors.
The IS is the likely choice for TRD to make performance parts. Suspension, intake, superchargers, rims, brakes. Maybe a body kit , but until they make a official statement, I wont get hyped up over a rumor.
Old 09-05-07, 10:38 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shocks... oh please give us springs/shocks combo...
Old 09-05-07, 10:42 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Wait for SEMA this year...you will see some interesting things...including Lexus project cars for SEMA.
Old 09-05-07, 10:55 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Wait for SEMA this year...you will see some interesting things...including Lexus project cars for SEMA.
Yea but SEMA is SEMA, not always does whats on display in a 'project car' trickle down to the general consumer. Some things don't make it 'out' and you'll only see them on a case by case basis... as in who you know at xxxxx company... due to cost and other factors.
Old 09-05-07, 10:57 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

This will be the first year that Lexus is making an effort on putting vehicles out at this year's showing. Aftermarket parts for the IS, GS, SC and even the LS will eventually be more available than ever before.
Old 09-05-07, 11:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

If they don't address the most fundamental issue - engine management a la Hondata, then they will continue to be in last place for effective engine mods. This has been my chief complaint since 1993, and will continue to be so until Toyota decides they can afford to risk allowing software mods. Honda, GM, Ford, and many others have real tuning communities. Scion/Toyota/Lexus do not. With the advent of CAN technology, they've made modifications even more daunting because you can't replace any unit on the CAN bus with an aftermarket unit and expect the rest of the car to continue to function.

If TRD is going to continue to do the same old BS of offering rebadged Eibach springs, Performance Friction brake pads, RPS clutches, and clothing with Toyota logos, they're not doing the tuner community any favors despite their lip service to SEMA about making their platforms more tuner friendly.

Oh, did I forget to mention - I think TRD USA sucks for anyone driving a Toyota street vehicle. They're the bomb if you want to run Formula Atlantic or NASCAR, but anything else is a joke.
Old 09-05-07, 11:46 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

TRD learned from the L-Tuned line. One of my friends works for TRD USA. I can't elaborate on anything we have discussed regarding future products. Just wait and see what will come about.
Old 09-06-07, 12:36 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Just wait and see what will come about.
Well i hope so, im a old skool toyboy from the days when TRD ment something and no v-8 would dare race a 72 corolla at a street light for fear of looking stupid.

So here's a question for you, im thinking about springs for my car but since theres no 'matching' shocks, should i buy now OR should i wait...hmm how can put this... and just buy AFTER halloween chocolate candy sale at Safeway and rot my teeth instead?
Old 09-06-07, 02:40 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry dudes, but TRD has confirmed that they will NOT make any parts for the Lexus line.
Old 09-06-07, 09:26 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

TRD Japan and TRD USA are separate companies. Their offerings very frequently do not overlap or intersect, and TRD USA does not even begin to cover all the things TRD Japan does for the performance enthusiast.

TRD USA is great for professional racers, but not for Toyota owners unless you like TRD branded beer glasses, t-shirts, and golf accessories.
Old 09-06-07, 09:30 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

lobuxracer is very correct, and even at that TRD Japan, has very conservative parts with a rather high pricetag.
Old 09-06-07, 12:29 PM
newis350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TRD learned from the L-Tuned line. One of my friends works for TRD USA. I can't elaborate on anything we have discussed regarding future products. Just wait and see what will come about.
hypothetically speaking....if I had a...well lets call it a pexus JS350 car...and was considering buying the LMS supercharger would it be advisable to wait till after the SEMA show before making any purchases??????
Old 09-06-07, 12:36 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree.. if it's some rebaged eibach then i'm not really too crazy about... something like lobux said would be great.. supercharger would be ideal...
Old 09-06-07, 12:47 PM
IS2Fizzle
Pole Position

What good would it be for another supercharger to comeout on the market?? And probably one that cost more and puts out less power then the competition? What TRD needs to do is put out parts like rods, pistons, etc so that we can lower the compression on these cars and get some serious boost on them. That would be dope.

Quick Reply: TRD to make parts for Lexus....