IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Which replacement tires are best for IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-07, 04:02 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Obviously we (and the automakers) choose summer tires for sporty cars because they are, generally speaking, better handling in warm weather. Tread design elements like sipes (narrow slits that wick away the thin sheet of water on top of snow and ice) are inferior to a solid tread block on a dry road. Conversely, all season tires are inferior to dedicated snow tires in inclement winter weather. All season tires are a compromise that works well enough for the vast population of drivers who don't want to be bothered switching over their tires twice a year, but you are deluding yourself if you think you don't give up anything by choosing them.
No one is more demanding then I am as far as driving on the street. I can tell you that the difference between the OEM summer tires and the Avon A/S are NO WAY worth changing tires seasonally. I am in NJ and if you want to drive the Avons, I would be more then willing to let you see for yourself. Summer tires are a waste of money and time!

Koz
Old 09-24-07, 08:14 PM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Koz - being that you're from jersey as well, how many miles did you get on the original set of tires?

I'm at almost 15k with the oem re050, and they seems to be giving up some traction. Although, the tread doesn't look that bad yet.
Old 09-24-07, 09:00 PM
ggzoa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on the IS350 a couple of weeks ago and I love them. Best of all, you can rotate them left and right for the IS's staggered setup.
Old 09-25-07, 01:26 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by linh811
I'm at 23k miles with the stock dunlops and looks like I can get at least another 10k or so. I'm sticking with the same tire when it's time.
Depending on your driving style it shouldn't be a problem. I've got 36k on mine and I am ALMOST flush with the tire indicators, though the inside and outside edges of the tire is worn pretty good. Even though I'm still legal, I'm getting a new set soon, probably in October. I don't want to take any chances when it starts to get a little wet. I haven't had any problems with the Dunlops, but I think I'm going with the Michelin Pilot Sport SP2's just to try something different.
Old 09-25-07, 01:37 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
PS2s and RE050A PP's were within 0.08 seconds on Tire Rack's dry test. They were 0.5 seconds faster in the wet. This is despite being heavier than the PS2s.

I have them on my car and have about 1000 miles on them. They're quieter than the OEM RE050, better in the rain, and handle as much as the car will give them. They're also quite a bit cheaper than the Michelins.

I'm perfectly happy with them.
Good to know, thanks.

I'm trying to scope out which set I would replace my OEMs with when the times come. Hoping to find a set that's quieter then OEM, but won't give up so much in the performance department.
Old 09-25-07, 04:11 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koz
No one is more demanding then I am as far as driving on the street. I can tell you that the difference between the OEM summer tires and the Avon A/S are NO WAY worth changing tires seasonally. I am in NJ and if you want to drive the Avons, I would be more then willing to let you see for yourself. Summer tires are a waste of money and time!

Koz
I'm waiting for the IMO or the IMHO.....
Old 09-25-07, 07:19 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wakaru8
Koz - being that you're from jersey as well, how many miles did you get on the original set of tires?

I'm at almost 15k with the oem re050, and they seems to be giving up some traction. Although, the tread doesn't look that bad yet.
I got my car in Jan. and I tried to move the car with just a light snow dusting and the car would not even move. I changed the tires at 2K miles and sold the tires for half their worth and bought the Avons. I have approx 7K miles on them and they show no signs of wear, at all. Again, very good tire.

Koz
Old 09-30-07, 07:24 PM
cooney
Rookie

Default replacement tires question

I am planning to replace the original Dunlop Sport Maxx tires on my IS350, 225/40-18 front and 255/40-18 rear, with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, and am also considering going to the same size tire on each wheel, either 245/40-18 or 235/40-18. I had an early E36 BMW M3 which ran the first Michelin Pilot Sport tires, 235/40-17 on all four corners (BMW later went to wider tires at the rear), and was very happy with that setup. In addition to going to Michelin, I want to increase the contact patch on the front axle, to see if I can get more steering feel -- I do miss the M3 in that department. Increasing front tire width and decreasing back should reduce understeer, somewhat offset by the fact that the diameter of the tires will increase in front and decrease in back, albeit not much.

Is 245/40-18 too wide for the front wheel wells? If so, will 235 work? If I do this, will subsequently installing after-market springs & shocks, or coilovers, create problems?

Would you think decreasing the rear contact patch (going from 255/40-18 to 245, or perhaps to 235) will affect handling much?

Am I crazy to not just replicate the OE sizes?

Thanks for your help.

cooney
Old 09-30-07, 08:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Threads merged as a result of search. Continue...
Old 10-01-07, 05:21 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

PS2's FTW!!!!!!
Old 02-19-08, 03:14 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got new rears ...going with the eagle f1 gs 3s 3d.. seems to ride pretty good with my stock front re50s..
Old 02-19-08, 04:42 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by i3urton
got new rears ...going with the eagle f1 gs 3s 3d.. seems to ride pretty good with my stock front re50s..
Seems like I gotta change my fronts before rears due to improper wearing. Then I need alignment!

+1 for the Eagle F1 Summers!
Old 02-19-08, 05:44 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GordoNx3o9
Seems like I gotta change my fronts before rears due to improper wearing. Then I need alignment!

+1 for the Eagle F1 Summers!
you will not regret it, did mine at 25K
Old 02-19-08, 06:37 PM
GWT3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I went to PS2's two weeks ago. Got 21,000 on my OEM's and was always annoyed by the noise but just put up with it.

As far as the PS2's yeah they aren't cheap, but OMG it's like I've got a new car now. These tires stick like glue and ride and feel so much better.

As far as the noise, there is none!!

Awesome, very satisfied IMHO worth the price.
The following users liked this post:
OrthoMT (05-31-18)
Old 02-19-08, 06:43 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GWT3
Well I went to PS2's two weeks ago. Got 21,000 on my OEM's and was always annoyed by the noise but just put up with it.

As far as the PS2's yeah they aren't cheap, but OMG it's like I've got a new car now. These tires stick like glue and ride and feel so much better.

As far as the noise, there is none!!

Awesome, very satisfied IMHO worth the price.
+1 to all of the above. Also, the PS2's absorb bumps much better than the factory Dunlops, and made the car much less harsh (but still sporty).
The following users liked this post:
OrthoMT (05-31-18)

Quick Reply: Which replacement tires are best for IS350?